Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Trolls and Ogres for embarks  (Read 6860 times)

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
Re: Trolls and Ogres for embarks
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 06:17:36 am »

They're pretty big so they can do some damage to poorly armored enemies and standard wildlife.
Problems occur against armored enemies however and critters like dragons who will probably breathe fire on them and all the trolls bleed to death.

On the bright side, they can wrestle enemies. On my first DF2010 fort, I modded trolls to be tameable after one stumbled on my cagetrap(along crundles, who made for pretty good meatshields). That thing wrestled a fungi spear and shield from a marauding tribe of caveswallow men and fought with 'em until  it's death during the great goblin siege of Whenever.

That troll was pretty cool, yeah.

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 09:47:56 am »

That again brings wrestling giant desert scorpions to my mind who shoot fleeing dwarfes in the back with their own crossbows....
Oh, the pictures in my head...
To demonstrate:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well...
I think you should set the values as you want.
This thread makes me mod dragons as pets for embark that reach maxage at .1 year and have a littersize of 50 again.
Brb
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 11:51:18 am »

One of my favorite forts tamed blind cave ogres through judicious editing of the raws. This was a very long lived fort, so the ogres bred prodigiously and before long we had a tribe of 50 of the things and about as many babies and children.  They made for great bodyguards as war animals.

The best thing to do with them was discovered when I dfhacked the fort into adventure mode, taking over one of the military for laughs.  At that point all the ogres must have lost the pet tag, because they all simultaneously rebelled.

It was the best adventure mode ever--I got to play a militia man charging through the halls of beloved Wrungknives slaying our rebellious blind cavern slaves as they choked and beat the crap out of my fellow dwarves.  I caught a glimpse of the baron perforating ogres with his crossbow.  He had 6 bodyguards, but some were animal and he was a badass. It was amazing. Raise 'em, love em, use dfhack to provoke them into a spartacus-like rebellion.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 03:32:44 pm »

Are ogres and trolls useful for dwarves?

‼SCIENCE‼ TIME

101 Urist uses for Ogres and Trolls.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 05:12:20 pm »

I just love dragons, so I'm always adding more.  And grabbing ones I see on the mod forums.  My worlds have a lot of dragons in. 

And they all want to eat my dwarves.  It's an acceptable setback to having dragons everywhere.

If you want more, I have a mod that adds many different species, most of them being wild and replacing what would have been local predatory species. I'd love some feedback on it, really.
It's right here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4612
or, the link in my sig sends you to a list of all my uploaded mods.

Also, beware of purchasing 1000's gremlins/trolls/ogres/any other 1-pt, sentient animals on embark. You will starve to death before the season is up, because the damn things will eat your food. I got a small population to survive for a while on fishing, but that was before fish were so rare they were practically extinct.

If you mod them to cost perhaps 300-500 urists on embark, then it would definitely be balanced. They can also become your mayor and will not make mandates.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 05:46:13 pm »

I just love dragons, so I'm always adding more.  And grabbing ones I see on the mod forums.  My worlds have a lot of dragons in. 

And they all want to eat my dwarves.  It's an acceptable setback to having dragons everywhere.

If you want more, I have a mod that adds many different species, most of them being wild and replacing what would have been local predatory species. I'd love some feedback on it, really.
It's right here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4612
or, the link in my sig sends you to a list of all my uploaded mods.

Also, beware of purchasing 1000's gremlins/trolls/ogres/any other 1-pt, sentient animals on embark. You will starve to death before the season is up, because the damn things will eat your food. I got a small population to survive for a while on fishing, but that was before fish were so rare they were practically extinct.

If you mod them to cost perhaps 300-500 urists on embark, then it would definitely be balanced. They can also become your mayor and will not make mandates.

Trolls and ogres eat food?  :o

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 05:50:45 pm »

And they require water.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 05:51:52 pm »

And they require water.

They do!? I never knew this. Maybe that's why sometimes it feels like my food/booze supplies seem to drain faster...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 05:54:27 pm »

And they require water.

They do!? I never knew this. Maybe that's why sometimes it feels like my food/booze supplies seem to drain faster...

Yup. Most tame sentients require food and water.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 06:06:14 pm »

They won't drink booze though. Only water.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 06:08:39 pm »

I never seem to recall them dieing of thirst and I don't recall seeing them going off to drink from pools or anything... hmmmm.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 06:14:40 pm »

I never seem to recall them dieing of thirst and I don't recall seeing them going off to drink from pools or anything... hmmmm.

They might have [NO_DRINK], or just have a nearby well/water source.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 06:19:37 pm »

Hmm... Well, both trolls and ogres definitely have [CAN_LEARN][SLOW_LEARNER] and lack [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK], and other creatures that have CAN_LEARN need to eat and drink. Gremlins do; I recently played a fort in which I possessed a tame gremlin, who needed to eat meat and drink from the well, but ignored booze. (I actually built the well/indoor cistern just to keep him alive through the winter.)
I would guess you just haven't seen them do it, since most of us are too busy to care about useless animals. To be sure, watch one for quite a while. Perhaps [SLOW_LEARNER] disables those needs...
I make Spellcrafts!

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2011, 11:59:55 pm »

I thought tame creatures wouldn't use wells?  It certainly seemed that way in my tiger-man liberation movement fort.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2011, 01:39:49 pm »

I thought tame creatures wouldn't use wells?  It certainly seemed that way in my tiger-man liberation movement fort.

Not too sure either, if they have to use a bucket I don't think they will, otherwise... Hmph. Testing needed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3