Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Finally I have Dwarf Fortress going over 700fps  (Read 7677 times)

[NO_THOUGHT]

• Bay Watcher
  • *cricket*
    • View Profile
Re: Finally I have Dwarf Fortress going over 700fps
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 01:20:10 am »

My jaw... it has become unattached.

I'm with Mechanoid - Parts list please because I was under the impression that thousands of logic frames per second was beyond the realm of standard computing. I've sometimes resorted to setting dwarf speed to 0 just to get things done faster.

@612DwarfAvenue
That picture almost made me lose my lunch.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 01:21:53 am »

That picture was... Hypnotic. Seriously. I watched it for ages, just... Like... O_O
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 01:26:17 am »

.... i7 you say?
Upgrade time!
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 07:36:34 am »

I limit my FPS at 100 too. Or at 50-60 during sieges. Anything more than 100 is too fast for me.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 09:14:56 am »

I limit my fps as well. However, if one can have 1000+ fps at embark, then possibly 100 fps could be maintained even in an established fortress.

But now I really need new hardware...
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2011, 09:51:51 am »

You.. You are not... You are not human
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 10:19:44 am »

He's human but his computer was built by aliens.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 10:51:00 am »

I too have an shiny new i7, not as fancy as the Op's with fancy custom builds and overclocking, but it gets the job done. As for long term FPS, I've got a fort that just celebrated its 26 year, 158 dwarves, 60 Z's above ground (with numerous towers reaching the hard ceiling), in excess of 200k items, loads of wide open space and twisty narrow scaffolding and my fps hovers between 50 and 100. 
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 06:11:49 pm »

He's human but his computer was built by aliens.
Alienware?

couldn't resist
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 09:33:22 pm »

bah is was geting 100+ on and old windows 2000 with 500mhz.
ok so it was a 1x1,that was flat and every thing was off,and it was 40d,and i had no water and it slowed down like mad when i did any thing.

i wonder what this old girl can do its a 900mhz.

yes this is my pc gameing
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
yes im deep in phase three of owning a pc

ok it can make the FPS counter fly up to 7000 plus,then it falls down to it real speed of 150
hell i got the opening screen to show 20000+ FPS, ok DF didnt respond and a had to restart the pc.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 06:21:55 am by Funk »
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2011, 08:34:41 am »

My PC gaming too. :'(
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2011, 09:31:07 pm »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2011, 10:29:22 pm »

bah is was geting 100+ on and old windows 2000 with 500mhz.
ok so it was a 1x1,that was flat and every thing was off,and it was 40d,and i had no water and it slowed down like mad when i did any thing.

i wonder what this old girl can do its a 900mhz.

yes this is my pc gameing
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
yes im deep in phase three of owning a pc

ok it can make the FPS counter fly up to 7000 plus,then it falls down to it real speed of 150
hell i got the opening screen to show 20000+ FPS, ok DF didnt respond and a had to restart the pc.

When you pause, it only has to do graphics duty, which, considering it all, isn't much at all, so obviously you're going to have low FPS.

The reason I limit mine to 1000 is because I don't like having my FPS shoot up to 50,000 every time I pause.

Biopass

• Bay Watcher
  • Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2011, 10:49:13 pm »

i5 2500k here. Admittedly, Dwarf Fortress was not foremost on my mind when I shelled out $800 for a new gaming computer (Skyrim and Lord of the Rings Online were, but finals are next week and I'm not risking that big of a GPA drop). Because my college's network is terrible, I haven't done much. I just sneakernetted DF on it to see what my framerate is.

I started up my 55-dwarf fort and was getting a full 100 framerate. I checked my init file, and it was capped, so I uncapped it and started again. This time I did a vanilla embark, 4x4, no flowing water, all settings pure vanilla (temperature on, 7 dorfs, etc).

I'm getting 500-550 fps. A day passes in a few seconds. I don't know if I'll limit it or not - I remember 200fps back in 40d days (the only version that my poor laptop could squeeze 200 fps out of) was a comfortable limit, in that I wasn't sitting around bored waiting for stuff to happen, but I could tell what was happening. I think that the i# series may have ushered in a new era of mega-forts. If I ever get my term paper done, I'll continue my 55-dwarf fort to see what framerate looks like on a 200-dorf fort.

Keep in mind, I'm not overclocked. The 2500k will overclock itself up to 3.7ghz, but that's automatic and on-demand (which means what if I'm running DF, it's overclocking one of the four cores). I think other contributing factors are the fact that I'm sitting on 8gb of DDR3 dual channel ram, and using a motherboard made for gaming (ASRock Fatal1ty series, although I think it's mostly bull and you won't see much difference). I was still astounded, having come from a much older setup. I haven't even optimized for framerate yet - no allocation of processes to separate cores from DF, no tweaks, all pure vanilla.

DISCLAIMER: This next bit is based on my understanding of processors, which may or may not be utterly incorrect and flawed.

At this rate, we really don't *need* multi-core support because the architectures are so good. The reason other people aren't seeing similar scales of performance is that, as I understand it, the speed of the game depends on how many calculations per <arbitrary time unit> can be made. And that depends on how many transistors there are, and how fast they can perform these calculations (which is the number of hertz, a.k.a. what they try to sell you CPUs based on). As I understand, the i5 and related processors have a whole lot of transistors, and they're a lot smaller than they used to be. Ergo, the effective speed is vastly increased, even with only a small increase in clock speed.

We really should try putting together a thread with instructions on how to build a cheap DF rig and get it stickied. In the past months, my interest in DF has been sucked away by a myriad of other games. With this speed and power in my new computer, I'm excited to get back into it. And there hasn't even been a new release!
500 fps vanilla 4x4 embark. intel master race.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2011, 01:48:09 am »

Honestly I'd love to run DF at 700 FPS once I have an established fort, just to see how it develops. Not having access to cheap yet powerful processors is the main thing holding me back from that.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5