Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: More Ghost Science!  (Read 31101 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: More Ghost Science!
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2011, 06:03:00 pm »

20 Slate 7 Chirpacted II

Subject 1 has taken to haunting random individuals for a short period before passing onto another. Five victims in nine days with no indication of stopping, there is no discernable pattern to the behavior. The plans for Subject Five have been scrapped, apparently it was not the jeweler but a thresher who also happened to be a mason. The confusion stemmed from the fact that when observed the jeweler was apparently standing directly on top of the thresher because... well it's not exactly clear but they were in the sun for a very long time so we've decided to write this detail off but while a door was assembled to wall him in he had already grabbed a single gold nugget and begun working.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2011, 06:09:07 pm »

I hope he goes berserk.

OO!
Maybe he'll kill someone before he dies :O

Joost66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2011, 07:01:31 pm »

This, is, amazing. I have never before seen !!SCIENCE!! but... if this is what it's ALL like, then I give up my dreams of dwarves in real life...
Hello. Have a nice day.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2011, 10:24:00 pm »

20 Slate 7 Chirpacted II

Subject 1 has taken to haunting random individuals for a short period before passing onto another. Five victims in nine days with no indication of stopping, there is no discernable pattern to the behavior. The plans for Subject Five have been scrapped, apparently it was not the jeweler but a thresher who also happened to be a mason. The confusion stemmed from the fact that when observed the jeweler was apparently standing directly on top of the thresher because... well it's not exactly clear but they were in the sun for a very long time so we've decided to write this detail off but while a door was assembled to wall him in he had already grabbed a single gold nugget and begun working.
Not sure if its too late to mention it, but you could seal him in then forbid everything in the room with him. 
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2011, 01:40:22 pm »

If he starts work and you forbid the base material, you get an iron artifact.  Once a dwarf starts work on the artifact, IIRC only death can stop him.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2011, 08:47:07 pm »

If he starts work and you forbid the base material, you get an iron artifact.  Once a dwarf starts work on the artifact, IIRC only death can stop him.
If he has already started work.  If he is still collecting materials, however, you should be able to forbid everything, preventing him from starting.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2011, 09:58:07 pm »

What sort of stats did the second dwarf have? I'm very curious as to what gave him that super resilience to insanity. Did he have an unusually high willpower? Or perhaps a trait that was "always looks on the bright side" or something?

I eagerly await the results of these tests actually. It would be great to kill all the "Grand Master" Fish Dissectors who dare show their face in my forts, but I don't really want them haunting everything, just kinda haunting the mausoleum and such.

Edit: On that note, it'll be interesting to see if the two ghosts that had only each other as contacts will do anything peculiar. I'd imagine they can't do anything to each other but perhaps they'll both chillbang in the same old haunts (eheh).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2011, 11:33:38 am »

What sort of stats did the second dwarf have? I'm very curious as to what gave him that super resilience to insanity. Did he have an unusually high willpower? Or perhaps a trait that was "always looks on the bright side" or something?

I eagerly await the results of these tests actually. It would be great to kill all the "Grand Master" Fish Dissectors who dare show their face in my forts, but I don't really want them haunting everything, just kinda haunting the mausoleum and such.

Edit: On that note, it'll be interesting to see if the two ghosts that had only each other as contacts will do anything peculiar. I'd imagine they can't do anything to each other but perhaps they'll both chillbang in the same old haunts (eheh).

Dwarves who have seen a lot of deaths become emotionless badasses. Basically, they pretty much stay at content, never miserable, never ecstatic.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2011, 11:47:11 am »

Dwarves who have seen a lot of deaths become emotionless badasses. Basically, they pretty much stay at content, never miserable, never ecstatic.
That's what I thought at first but that wasn't it. See he did become miserable, he was miserable throughout the entire test and never went any higher than miserable. What I did notice was that one of his tags was something about becoming angry (it wasn't quick to anger). Something similar happened in Chirpacted I with Portalis, she was miserable all the time but she would throw a tantrum, throw some food, and be fine again. It's hard to tell what exactly happened here but I've formed a hypothesis, his tag though it be lost to the ages caused him to throw tantrums more frequently. During a tantrum a dwarf automatically becomes Very Unhappy regardless of what their previous mood was. It may be possible that throwing tantrums is some kind of Dorfy release valve, the frequent tantrums raised his mood just high enough to prevent insanity.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2011, 11:51:28 am »

Not quite, during a tantrum doing things like starting fist fights, throwing things e.t.c. give Dwarves happy thoughts, taking them away from the brink of berserk insanity.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2011, 11:58:47 am »

Not quite, during a tantrum doing things like starting fist fights, throwing things e.t.c. give Dwarves happy thoughts, taking them away from the brink of berserk insanity.
That's what happened with Portalis, she would be miserable throw her food and she would be "quite content." When I forbid it she stopped and went insane. This time it was different, he had nothing to throw and he had nobody to start a fight with (I got frequent Fistfight Cancelled notices to prove it) so his mood remained at miserable. During a tantrum or Rage a character is always Very Unhappy this is the only time his mood ever rose above miserable so other than dorfy statistical anomalies there's no reason it should have been that hard.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2011, 04:59:42 pm »

5 Felsite 7 Chirpacted II

Subject 3 has risen. It's unclear when it happened, there was no action on the part of the deceased the subject was discovered by chance, but Subject three stands in chamber one. Subject three was dispatched roughly five months ago after going stark raving mad, his behavior suggests the storied Howling Ghost. This variety is said to disturb the slumber of dwarves but records are sparse and unclear. There is to our knowledge no known cause attributed for the appearance of this variety and no notes from Chirpacted I exist to provide further insight. Our research leads us to fertile scientific grounds that no dwarf has ever tread, more as it transpires.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2011, 05:30:49 pm »

28 Felsite Chirpacted II

Subject 5 has been re-chosen. We forbade the gold nugget the thresher selected from being used in any way and he flew into a berserk rage. This is our opportunity to replicate the Mad Clotheir under more controlled circumstances. One dwarf was responsible for the killing, one more was witness to the death and for extra measure made to walk through the blood. If Subject 5 rises and reacts to these two individuals we will give substance to the hypothesis that a ghost will identify with it's killer and the rumors that the Mad Clothier was targetting individuals who stepped in his blood. In other news there hasn't been a single report of a good nights sleep all over the fort individuals have been complaining that Subject 3's incessant howling has woken from their sleep, ghosts of this variety have the ability to act as a minor grievance across a broad basis disrupting an entire fortress. However since 3 does not interact directly with any dwarf it's very likely he will remain where he's standing Howling Ghosts may be the ideal prospect for a ghost museum.  Subject 1 continues to jump from person to person haunting them for a short period of time before finding a new victim. His odd behavior has given us the opportunity to gain some interesting data, for a time he stood directly in a doorway and the doorway would not close while he stood there. It's unclear whether someone opened the door around him but his presence prevented the door from being shut. This may be significant, a door that cannot be shut cannot be locked and a door that cannot be locked can end a fortress in a siege situation.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2011, 10:02:38 am »

... In other news there hasn't been a single report of a good nights sleep all over the fort individuals have been complaining that Subject 3's incessant howling has woken from their sleep, ghosts of this variety have the ability to act as a minor grievance across a broad basis disrupting an entire fortress.

If your setup can accommodate some Science as to what the disturbance range of a Howling Ghost is, that would be very interesting.  Bedrooms for some unimportant folk down a long hall stretching radially away from #3's location, perhaps?  A similar vertical version to see if it's a 3D pattern?

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2011, 04:19:58 pm »

when there's something strange...in the neighborhood, who you gonna call? DWARFBUSTERSS...
*music playing*
in to watch this epicness of wins.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9