Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: extra brave migrants?  (Read 1540 times)

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
extra brave migrants?
« on: October 06, 2012, 03:37:36 am »

I'm doing a 7 dwarf survival that has run fairly well so far ( 12 years, first generation of kids have grown up ) , besides ghost issues, and tied to those issues would be the migrant issues. You see i'm only allowed 7 dwarfs. So i periodically cover the overworld with magma to cut down on the absurd amount of ambush and berserk messages, But the migrants even after 528 have been killed continue to come. I'm lost if i have an option set to always let them come or if the migrant code is bugged. in the older versions even 60 deaths would mark your fort as a deathtrap and you'd rarely get any!
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
Re: extra brave migrants?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 04:07:06 am »

Set population cap to 7, let the dwarf liason in and out safely.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

aoxoa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 11:10:20 am »

Im sure there might be a way to set it so migrant waves never come. Pop Cap might help. But a sure fire way would be better (Apart from magma lol)

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 11:13:54 am »

• Create a retractable bridge over a magma drowning pool
  • Create a burrow on top of said bridge
  • Assign any migrants to the burrow
  • Pull the lever
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 11:24:08 am »

I wonder if the migrants need to be considered full members of your fort before you can kill them to get  you labeled as a deathtrap.  In other words, getting out of their flashing X status.

So MasterShizzle above is possibly correct, try it out.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 12:32:52 pm »

Letting the liaison complete his talks and leave will probably help. If the rumors are true, he's the one who reports things like your fortress wealth, population, rate of peasant burnination, etc. to the home civ. Right now they're probably at the Mountainhome thinking "That fort is so great nobody ever wants to come back to this lame old hole in the ground! Let's move there!" Whereas if you let the liaison get back to tell them that hey, actually the whole place is just a mound of charred dwarf bones, maybe they'll decide to just vacation at the beach and go the long way around so they don't get a magma bath.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 12:47:49 pm »

This sounds like a great opportunity to test that rumor.  I've had mixed results when setting the population cap myself, to the point where I'm not convinced the liaison has anything to do with it.

I'd be pleased to have evidence either way.
Through pain, I find wisdom.