Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: **TOURNAMENT!**Battle for Wesnoth: an Epic, Open-source, Fantasy-themed TBSRPG:  (Read 22631 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battle for Wesnoth: an Epic, Open-source, Fantasy-themed TBSRPG
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 08:38:16 pm »

Can you play on random maps in single player? I'd also love to be able to place units in the map editor, would allow for awesome role-playing forum games.

vodot

• Bay Watcher
  • I am here for the status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 01:14:24 am »

My biggest complaint about the game is tactics related. I dislike how the leader (commander?) unit plays an insignificant role on the battlefield, and is mostly just left lying around in the base to spawn units. In my opinion, the leader unit should be on the battlefield leading the troops, in the fun! More exciting that way. This complaint is restricted to random maps. As I recall you had to be more proactive with your leaders in the story campaigns which I admittedly did few of.
As you said, in SP, your leader is often a critical unit that very much leads from the front.  Admittedly, in multiplayer your leader is often confined to a keep— but that depends greatly on map size as well, and on larger maps there will likely be additional keeps (non-wesnothians, think expansions) closer to your opponents' strongholds from which the battle can be pressed. On most smaller maps you will need to commit your leader to battle to win quickly, and determining if/when/where to commit your leader to the front is crucial.

Can you play on random maps in single player? I'd also love to be able to place units in the map editor, would allow for awesome role-playing forum games.
Yes and yes— random single player matches are done via a skirmish with AI players.  Just set up a LAN multiplayer game and change the enemies to AI. If you're looking for a campaign made up of random battles (where you still get to keep a persistent army), you're looking for "Random Campaign", a user-made campaign that can be found on the add-ons server for the latest stable version.

Placing units when creating a map can be a bit trickier because units have to have owners, which is a scenario feature rather than a simple map-editor feature.  Scenarios can be multiplayer or single-player, so that wouldn't stop you from being able to play your scenario map competitively (or cooperatively) with others.  Building a simple scenario isn't much more complicated than creating a map; to learn how to create simple scenarios, try these two wiki articles: Building Scenarios (for building custom scenarios with units drawn from the core game) and Building Units (for creating your own, custom-made units).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 02:30:00 am by vodot »

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 02:54:21 am »

Actually, I always leave the leader in the keep on SP too. Why? EVERY defeat requirement includes 'if your leader dies', and every enemy beelines for him.

My biggest complaint (if I remember correctly) is that experience is character-only. If there was some limited experience sharing so support units wouldn't have to be the ones to land killing blows, I'd have enjoyed the game more.

vodot

• Bay Watcher
  • I am here for the status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 07:36:20 pm »

Actually, I always leave the leader in the keep on SP too. Why? EVERY defeat requirement includes 'if your leader dies', and every enemy beelines for him.

But that makes a leader a tempting diversion, no? Harrying an opponent with your leader and a small supporting corps can often be very useful distractions for the AI and human opponents alike.

My biggest complaint (if I remember correctly) is that experience is character-only. If there was some limited experience sharing so support units wouldn't have to be the ones to land killing blows, I'd have enjoyed the game more.

This is a gripe I've felt at times, although I've never had a problem getting enough experience into my healers to sufficiently level them, for three reasons:
  • They're cheap and easy to replace.
  • They're so darn useful on the front lines (attack abilities like slow are awesome).
  • Leveling experience required is roughly tied to vulnerability + attack power. Cloth-wearing healers level much quicker than an armored fighters or a glass-cannon mages.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 07:46:25 pm »

Considering how much BfW is like Fire Emblem, I do my best to keep all of my units alive; even the cheap and replaceable healers and peasants. The fact that they can level up and become far more powerful is even more incentive to take care of them, but I tend to take a narrative approach to these games and view each of the units as characters in their own right.

The last unit I lost was a mounted knight that had made it to level 2. He was swarmed and killed by undead, and he even managed to gasp out some last words. He wasn't even one of the special loyal characters; just a unit that I had recruited a few battles ago.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 07:50:55 pm »

Leaders would be much more important in a game where you have more then one or where you can create more (for the intent of using them to turn bases into usable bases)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 07:55:21 pm »

Love it, but I need an epic campaign to go back to it. I finish almost all of the vanilla ones, my favorites being heir to the throne, that weird and awesome desert elf one and the undead one.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 08:26:32 pm »

I can recommend three amazing campaigns (imo):

"Bad Moon Rising"
"Swamplings"
"To Lands Unknown"
I'm also enjoying playing through "Panther Lord", which is pretty good so far.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 08:33:03 pm by GlyphGryph »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 08:32:30 pm »

I love how Swamplings has a "You lose... even though nothing essentially happened" section.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 08:36:28 pm »

Hm. This seems to have turned partially into a suggestion/opinion thread, and I guess I'll throw mine in too.

What I would like is additional units in multiplayer. My friend and I found quite a few...annoying tactics that were hard to best.

My biggest grife is that the only lv 1 magic unit is in the undead army. Since most of the undead's weakness is magic, it makes it a better race than the other ones, for the most part.

Footpads in the dwarven army are cheap, good, and have an extreme evasion rate. They seem a bit too good for their cost. Its very easy to spam them, and there's no real counter. Even Bezerkers die to them about 70% of the time, and a bezerker costs a lot more.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2011, 08:40:41 pm »

Elves and Humans both have magic fire. Which is still mighty effective against undead. It's also quite effective for taking taking footpads with no trouble at all since it ignores evasion.

Also, don't Drakes start with an arcane unit as well?

(Also footpads are... not a great unit. I'm honestly not sure what you're talking about. o_o)

If you want more units and more varied tactics (though it honestly sounds like you don't have a good grasp of the basics yet) try some of the other faction packs. The "Age of Summoners" pack is pretty good, and "Age of Heroes" is basically the normal pack but with more units and level 2s available to start.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2011, 08:53:24 pm »

Ohh you forgot the Footpad's other advantages

Their movement as well as having an extremely low EXP to level up. Their ranged and melee are decent.

I've won a match using NOTHING but Footpads and thiefs.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 08:57:41 pm by Neonivek »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2011, 09:21:55 pm »

Then your opponent clearly didn't know what they were doing. :P

Want to have a game right now? I'm itching to play...

Actually, nevermind-  breaking bad. But soonish, we should get some bay12 games going!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 09:23:54 pm by GlyphGryph »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2011, 09:42:31 pm »

Then your opponent clearly didn't know what they were doing. :P

Want to have a game right now? I'm itching to play...

Actually, nevermind-  breaking bad. But soonish, we should get some bay12 games going!

They got unlucky because I eliminated one opponent almost instantly... while the other opponent stopped his war by the time I took the entire top

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2011, 09:58:48 pm »

I love this game though I am not the best of players at it.

We really should start up some matches for this. Maybe a tourney if you guys are up for it, but we may need more people for that :)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11