Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwemerifell - a TES mod in progress  (Read 3294 times)

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
  • I have no idea what I am doing...
    • View Profile
Re: Dwemer Fortress
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 03:15:33 pm »

Actually the "fell" part in Volenfell is really just the verb "fell"

Here's something regarding that.

EDIT: fixed the url

yeah...I didn't know/remember about Volenfell...but that wiki says too...that the -fell suffix means city
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Ehlnofex_Languages

still no word on what -drung means...so my stance on "big ass" holds

hmm...looking at those wikis...what about Dweruhn (Dwe = Under/Smart, Ruhn = Hearth Hall..."Underground Hall" that's the closest to "dwarf fortress" that I could see)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 03:20:46 pm by JediaKyrol »

Puresowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwemerifell - a TES mod in progress
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 07:00:40 pm »

Name changed. I'm just going to post the raws for the metal bars as I currently have them, which admittedly isn't much. I basically have the colors, monetary values, and what the metals can actually be used for set in stone, everything else is a little out of my league.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note that the only metal non-native to the TES universe is adamantine, and even that shows up in the name Adamantine Tower. My next step is to try and figure out how to make custom reactions for weapons in such a way that each weapon type for each metal is distinct(an iron sword isn't really used for slicing as much as it is causing blunt damage along a focused line to tear muscle and break bone, but an elven sword has a razor sharp edge, used for cutting at things, and an orcish blade would ideally be somewhere in between. The weapons should also have a "recipe" to follow, such as an iron sword requiring a certain amount of iron and some leather strips(for the handle, leather strips will be produced in the same manner as in skyrim, cut from tanned hides)

Once I have all of the weapons and armor down(and hopefully balance tested), I'll move on to modelling the civilizations, though I suspect I won't be able to accurately model citizens of the various races joining the imperials/cyrodiilics without making them babysnatchers or some such.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2011, 04:52:35 am »

I see you've got the metal framework from Skyrim :P.

I am not sure whether dwemer metal is closer to bronze or to steel... But for the gameplay better have it close to bronze, because if we make spiders and centurions out of steel, they will be greatly overpowered and almost impossible to take down.

About races: just focus on major ones (imperials, bretons, argonians etc.), let the game decide the race composition. That's what DF is about: alternate history for your favourite TES world :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2011, 06:48:11 am »

Regarding adamantine, it appeared in tribunal, and it was considered medium concerning armor.

You may want to make centurions out of something that's not the same dwemer metal your dorfs dwemer will be using. Give it the same name, but lower stats.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2011, 08:14:05 am »

One moment, why is the corundum a metal? It's a mineral-stone which has iron, chromium and other stuff. It cannot be smelted.

Give it the same name
Bad idea for a couple of reasons.

Also you could make them out of copper or bronze.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2011, 09:32:31 am »

One moment, why is the corundum a metal? It's a mineral-stone which has iron, chromium and other stuff. It cannot be smelted.

For some reason, you can smelt it in Skyrim.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Puresowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2011, 10:54:01 am »

I was planning the smaller creations to be made of the equivalent of copper, and the Centurions to be made of Dwemer metal, but to have a couple of weak spots. The soulgem, centurion core, and boiler come to mind.

I'll also note that sense creatures cannot be "constructed" I'll have to make all of these importable from the capitol, and set them up to be incapable of breeding. The costs associated with importing them should be rather high. I'm hoping to make the Centurions worth around 100k.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 10:56:49 am by Puresowns »
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

Puresowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2011, 05:54:26 pm »

This is what I currently have for the iron sword raw:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Basically identical to the original short sword raw with changed names and a couple of attacks removed(at least until I figure out if it's possible to make them more or less likely to occur in battle. At that point I'll reintroduce them depending on the weapon's material base) There are, however, some points I'm not quite clear on.

How should I go about making an iron sword not as good for cutting or stabbing as much as tearing?(I plan the opposite to be true on most other swords, but I don't exactly see an iron sword keeping a razor sharp edge long enough for said edge to be relevant in battle. Steel and up should be much better at keeping an edge, and will reflect this point) What would be some decent minimum size and two hand sizes to ensure an almost human sized being can wield the sword easily in one hand, without it being comically small? These sizing numbers aren't helping me picture the scale very easily. I'm planning on making the Dwemer slightly shorter than the average for Cyrodiilic humans(probably about equal with nords, in keeping that colder invironments tend to make for slightly shorter, stockier people), but I'm not sure where about that number should end up.

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 04:45:05 pm »

I'm planning on making the Dwemer slightly shorter than the average for Cyrodiilic humans(probably about equal with nords, in keeping that colder invironments tend to make for slightly shorter, stockier people), but I'm not sure where about that number should end up.

Bergmann's Rule

In 1847, the German biologist Carl Bergmann observed that within the same species of warm-blooded animals, populations having less massive individuals are more often found in warm climates near the equator, while those with greater bulk, or mass, are found further from the equator in colder regions.  This is due to the fact that big animals generally have larger body masses which result in more heat being produced.  The greater amount of heat results from there being more cells.  A normal byproduct of metabolism in cells is heat production.  Subsequently, the more cells an animal has, the more internal heat it will produce.

I quoted this from this site. Make of it what you will.

No apologies for the necro, either! This thread was sleeping, but far from dead.  :P
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.
Pages: 1 [2]