Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Old dwarves still here  (Read 875 times)

Flok Speargrabber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Old dwarves still here
« on: November 15, 2007, 01:48:00 pm »

So after downloading someone's save, I immidiately abandoned the settlement and came to reclaim.

Only to discover that the previous occupants didn't exactly want to leave:

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Old dwarves still here
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 02:11:00 pm »

That's a tricksy issue.

On one hand, yeah...you want to build your own fortress there by kicking the old dwarves out.  Hence 'abandon' to make them go away.

On the other hand, there's tons of requests to make old dwarves stick around so the adventurer can go say hi in adventurer mode, and so you can leave a -living- legacy of your dwarven exploits across the land.

I'm guessing that we're a long ways off from a final solution.  But for the moment, if you want to *really* abandon your place, make sure all the old inhabitants are dead.

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Flok Speargrabber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 02:18:00 pm »

"Final Solution", eh...?

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 04:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Flok Speargrabber:
<STRONG>"Final Solution", eh...?</STRONG>

Heh, yeah, that's one way of clearing them out...

As for the problem of some people wanting dwarves to stay, and others wanting them gone, there could be 2 ways to quit the fort, as mentioned numerous times in the suggestions forum. Abandon could make them go away and some other option would end your reign but the dwarves stay.

[Edit: "some other option": Resign?]

[ November 15, 2007: Message edited by: Nesoo ]

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Len B

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 08:18:00 pm »

Retire, of course...  requires masterwork fishing pole, meager bedroom and dining room, a masterwork crossbow and bolts, and a mangy dog.  Your selected dwarf stays behind, with a random selection of other retirees.

Urist Felldown the Badly Broken Hip-bone of Ancients, Age 103:

"So long boys!  I's fixin ta git mah fishin pole n ketch sum carp fer dinner.  Yall can send me a scribblin of yer new digs when yall gits there."

You should be able to visit them to hear about the Legends:

"Back in mah day, son, we din have no spiffy aquafairies or no special pumpin machines.  Din have no Z Axis neither!  We had one Z Level and we loved it!  I remember when ole Throm busted through that obsidian wall, oh boy was he suprised!  Got hot that night, lemme tell you....  <Blah>"

Len, "The Staplerlord", Mighty Evil Master of the Office Supplies.<BR>Len has been grumpy lately. He slept in a meager bedroom recently.<BR>Len likes bicycles, ninjas, the color clear, and succubi for their suckulence.<BR>  When possible, he prefers to consume souls of the marginally damnned just before the last spark of hope expires deep within.

Fedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 11:56:00 pm »

quote:
"Back in mah day, son, we din have no spiffy aquafairies or no special pumpin machines. Din have no Z Axis neither! We had one Z Level and we loved it! I remember when ole Throm busted through that obsidian wall, oh boy was he suprised! Got hot that night, lemme tell you.... <Blah>"

just LOL

Buggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 04:10:00 pm »

Don't they eventually wander away?  I've come to a previous fort in adventure mode and found my old dwarves as a migrating group one square south of where they started.  Got a nice set of marksdwarves following me that way.