Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Don't you hate podcasts?  (Read 1905 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Don't you hate podcasts?
« on: November 30, 2011, 10:56:09 pm »

It seems that there's a trend lately of posting podcasts (in pretty much any field you can think of), which I find very annoying, because most of the time they don't even bother in including a transcript. I can see the point of having a podcast file to play in a phone, or a mp3, or whatnot, while you're on the train, or the car, or somewhere you can't read. But I'd much rather read a text than listen to the whole thing, if I have the choice. I can read faster than they talk, and it's much easier to home on the parts you're interested in.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
Re: Don't you hate podcasts?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 11:08:29 pm »

I regularly listen to podcasts while exercising (which I try to do everyday to make up for my unhealthy eating habits).
[edit]: Though it is true those are generally audiobook podcasts rather than podcasts released about other things.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 11:25:43 pm »

I don't really have any strong feelings about podcasts.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 11:37:20 pm »

Some people like audio logs. As long as it isn't someone reading out something I could read much more easily myself, I'm neutral to podcasts.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 11:39:25 pm »

Podcasts fall firmly into the realm of "completely irrelevant to my interests", so I don't hate them.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 11:47:45 pm »

You know what I hate? Talk radio. I don't get it man. Why don't they just publish a fucking book? Goddamn layabouts.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 11:48:52 pm »

Depends on the podcast really; some are really good, some are ~-!TERRIBLE!-~.
Great podcasts are themselves something of an audio spectacle; things like TotalBiscuit's 'radio voice' and other little things will make a huge difference. Worst of all are low quality recordings; they will make even an interesting podcast make you want to claw your ears off to make it stop. The trick is finding a good quality one relevant to your interests.

Transcripts are fine; but honestly, there are already more than enough articles on the internet in which to read about anything you could possibly want. For small, scripted shows, transcripts are relatively easy, but for large, unscripted shows it will take something like 8 hours for every hour of transcript; most podcasters don't have that much time available for such a thing, and getting someone else to do it is pretty expensive (one podcast I listen to states their episodes cost $75 per episode to get transcribed, with a length of about 80m per episode). The major benefit of transcripts is the searchability; it allows you to find episodes or parts of episodes with particular information, which is why most informational podcasts do try to transcribe, or at the very least summarize, the episode.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 11:50:57 pm by alway »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 11:50:57 pm »

Podcasts are there for me to listen to while bored and can't access reading materials. Like riding the bus, which I do every day. So podcasts are pretty cool, I just need to find ones that appeal to my interests.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 11:53:40 pm »

As for me, I listen to podcasts while playing games with audio poor or repetitive enough that the game audio does not add to the game experience. I've gone through several hundred hours of podcasts in Far Cry 2, Minecraft, Empire: Total War, and Just Cause 2. And I'm starting to do so while playing Skyrim.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 12:33:07 am »

which I find very annoying, because most of the time they don't even bother in including a transcript.

YES

I find this and video interviews annoying as well.  I read a lot faster than I can listen, so its annoying when I click on an article and just find a link to a video.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 01:38:39 am »

Trancripts are one thing, but I'm listing to the major spoilers: critical hit podcast, and a transcript would lose a lot of the punch the audio has, since writing does't get inflection down.

As for them taking too long to listen to, well, if you really need to, you can have them played at 1.5 talking speed and still understand what they say.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 08:12:35 am »

The point of them in general is to have a discussion. Its a record of, in many cases, a conversation. Putting speech in text in that format you miss out on a lot. I'm not saying there isn't merit in having a transcript, but there is no way to accurately generate one without quite a bit of extra work.

I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 08:32:38 am »

As for them taking too long to listen to, well, if you really need to, you can have them played at 1.5 talking speed and still understand what they say.
YES. Chipmunk podcasts forever.

I'll make a note to try one.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 08:21:29 pm »

I look forward to listening to John and Wai bitch about TNA on Review-an-Impact every Friday. ^^^ So I like podcasts, but only ones relevant to my interests and don't have annoying-sounding people on them. Also, I can do other things while listening to a podcast, like play a game, work on a turn, drive around, etc. Transcripts are nice too though.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 02:37:55 pm »

I have to say, that I just can't listen to podcasts while doing something else. My attention just can't be split that way over a long period of time, only to be brought back by laughter, and me rewinding the cast so that I can catch the funny. I dunno, maybe other people have an easier time with it, but not me.
Pages: [1] 2