Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 166

Author Topic: Pokemon Orthoclase & Microcline: Back to work!  (Read 140395 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Pokemon Orthoclase & Microcline: Back to work!
« on: December 01, 2011, 04:31:27 pm »

The idea behind Pokemon Orthoclase and Microcline is very simple: If a young Spanish man can make the horror that is Pokemon Quartz by himself, then what's stopping Bay 12 from making their own ROM hack of a Pokemon game? The answer is, of course, nothing except a total lack of expertise and knowledge. But that's what the internet is for. Pokemon Orthoclase and Microcline is (going) to be a collaborative effort by the Bay12 community to create a ROM hack of a Pokemon game. What game? I don't know. What I do know is that it's going to be:
A. Awesome.
B. Filled with memes and references. Not just Dwarf Fortress references too. Feel free to add whatever obscure references you want to add. The idea is to be creative and have fun.
So come join the project, and maybe you'll learn how to make your own ROM hacks. At the very least, we'll have fun doing it.

Obviously the details right now are a bit sketchy, to say the least. I know this for sure. We'll need a ROM of a Pokemon game to hack (Duh), the programs to allow us to hack the ROMs, and ideas/sprites for trainers, pokemon etc.

Project Roster! Everybody who has worked on the project or wants to help the project should add themselves to the roster, for organizational purposes.

Current Project. A list of what needs to be done on the project. If you have nothing else to work on, you should check this list.

Important links:
Spoiler: Tutorials (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Programs (click to show/hide)
Yet Another Pokemon Editor. Incredibly useful for editing Pokemon.

Link to the actual project itself.
Wiki for Pokemon Orthoclase & Microcline. Yes, we have one already!
Page about the story of the game(s).
We're also on the PokeCommunity forums too!

If you want to help with the project, you'll need to install Git on your computer.
Just follow the instructions on this website and Git will be installed in no time.
GUI for Git. If you have no clue about how to use Git, you'll want need this.

IRC channel for work on Pokemon Orthoclase & Microcline:
irc.newnet.net
#Bay12Dwarfomons

Address of the repo:
git@github.com:GlyphGryph/Bay12Pokemon.git
OR
git://github.com/GlyphGryph/Bay12Pokemon.git
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 10:34:35 am by USEC_OFFICER »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Orthoclase & Microcline: Pre-embark Set-up!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 04:31:45 pm »

List of Pokemon by Number (For reference):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 08:52:11 am by USEC_OFFICER »

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 04:33:51 pm »

Post to watch.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 04:38:59 pm »

Posting to watch, too. May jump into the project if it spins up depending on my schelude.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 04:39:24 pm »

Well, I'm willing to help come up with ideas. Not so much actually do any hacking since I don't know shit about coding but you'll have my help.

The Professor Oak of this game has to be a crazy drunken hobo. It would explain the Professor Oak memes.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 04:42:10 pm »

Post to be involved (though we already knew that much)

I plan on adding Cave Spider / Giant Cave Spider / Colossal Cave Spider, at least.

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 04:42:53 pm »

I also don't know crap about coding, but I will provide moral and/or ideological support. Also, which generation are we going to (loosely) base this off of?

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 04:43:27 pm »

No, no. We're doing all sorts of Bay12 stuff (even the suggestion to make it in ASCII), so let's make him a dwarf fortress noble!
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 04:45:01 pm »

I think all the humans should be dwarves. Change number one.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 04:47:08 pm »

Yes. Also, all pokemon should be DF animals.

Aim of the game is not to become a Pokemon Master, but a Dungeon Master.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 04:48:15 pm »

Posting to watch, too. May jump into the project if it spins up depending on my schelude.

Well, right now the amount of involvement in the project is low. We don't have ROM to start hacking, so we're mostly just coming up with ideas right now.

Not so much actually do any hacking since I don't know shit about coding but you'll have my help.

I also don't know crap about coding, but I will provide moral and/or ideological support.

You don't have to know anything about coding or hacking, because nobody seems too either, so we're all basically learning at the same time. If you don't want to learn, then you can help out by providing ideas and eventually play-testing the thing.

Also, which generation are we going to (loosely) base this off of?

Depends on what game's ROM we can get. If we can get a ROM for Pokemon Yellow, then we could base it off of that. Though from what I've been reading so far, it could be possible to completely redo the game however we want to. If we eventually decide to completely redo the game, then we'll probably want Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Firered or Leafgreen. They're the most advanced Pokemon games that still use sprites, instead of the 3D overworld that the later generations have.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 04:49:14 pm »

Disagree. Too restricting, I want to have fun with this.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 04:54:40 pm »

I really hopes this happens. I don't have much ROM related experience, and I'm certainly not confident enough in my meager programming abilities to volunteer on a project like this, but I'd still like to contribute in whatever little way I can, even if that only ends up sitting in the bleachers going "Go Team! WHOO!"

While we wait for people with applicable knowledge/assets to take interest, why not throw out some ideas, either for Mons or general design decisions? I like the idea of the general setting being DF-themed, visiting the various Fortresses, fighting Elven Trainers in the forest, what have you. Mons are a pretty obvious place for random memes and one-off jokes unrelated to anything else in game to pop up.

FAKEEDIT: WHILE YOU WERE TYPING 8 NEW REPLIES HAVE BEEN POSTED

Aim of the game is not to become a Pokemon Master, but a Dungeon Master.

This has a lot of potential, especially given the wierder ones. At the very least Poke-analogs for the cave critters should be in. I would also suggest that the currently unused Fanciful creatures be the game's Legendaries. Not sure what elemental affiliations Centaurs, Griffons, and Chimeras would have, but it would be a nice injoke that the legendaries are actually legendary. We could use creatures that used to be in-game (I seem to recall hearing about Ent-analogs in 23a) for the fossils, too.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 04:58:25 pm »

/based/ on DF animals, maybe. But they should at least be pokemonized.

oooh, electric type!

Cat-2 -> Cat-5 -> Catsplosion

Two catlike cable pokemon for the first, 5 for the second, and just a WALL of cable pokemon for the last. (Which obviously learns the move explosion)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 05:02:06 pm »

/based/ on DF animals, maybe. But they should at least be pokemonized.

oooh, electric type!

Cat-2 -> Cat-5 -> Catsplosion

Two catlike cable pokemon for the first, 5 for the second, and just a WALL of cable pokemon for the last. (Which obviously learns the move explosion)

If we can modify the moves, we might also be able to get it to cause the enemy pokemon team to lose a lot of speed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 166