Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Your elegant, wasteful designs.  (Read 3978 times)

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your elegant, wasteful designs.
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 08:34:17 pm »

Has anybody tried making separate houses for your dwarves? Not rooms, houses. So like maybe a few floors, a room with some chairs, kitchen, bathroom(?), bedrooms for them, their children, maybe a slave (hauler) or two? I tried something similar to it once, but not on a full scale. If anyone actually wants to give it a go, keep us posted :P
I have started this a couple of times.  I usually don't do bathroom, but I do storage closets, downstairs wine cellar, etc. I once went so far as to attach a shed (open on one side) which was their "business".  Consisted of a trade depot (yeah, I know only one is used at a time and only the trader trades, doesn't matter), plus whatever building they need for their titled job with storage above or below as appropriate for raw goods and finished materials.

I wasn't sure what I was going to do with extended family (ie, when the children grew up).  Would they get their own place, or have to live at home for a while?  What about extensions on the house, kind of build it up into a mansion overtime.

Oh, and don't forget the barn/stable.  With seperate pens for each grazing animal and stalls for mounts.  Plus a bunch of "hay" in the loft (either underground or overground wheat varieties).

Oh, and since you are building houses, you might as well build an inn on the road.

Vharuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 10:10:24 am »

In the fortress prior to my current, I wanted to see what embarking on a volcano would be like.  Upon discovering the plentiful veins of gold, I made it my goal to have the wealthiest fort I'd ever created.  Needless to say, everyone not only had at least a nice 2x3 room, but their room contained a solid gold cabinet and solid gold chest, and they entered the room through a solid gold door.  All hallways used for anything more than mining were smoothed as usual, but rose quartz was so abundant that I left most of it intact in my fort's walls.  Thinking that smooth rose quartz wasn't enough, I engraved only the sections of walls made of the gems.  So, sporadically throughout my fort, engravings in crimson gemstone decorated the walls and floors, their images ranging from a simple mini-forge to a long panoramic of historical events.

I had a fort like this once. It ended up being brought down by 2 squads of goblins as, in my fun of using all this gold, I had totally forgotten about a military. And a few goblin lashers really discourages a mass rush.

I know what you mean.  I read about fort wealth attracting larger sieges, so I really upped the defense.  There had been only one way into my fort: the main bridge system.  I say system, because there were three bridges.  A large one for my use which would remain raised in battle, and two smaller retractable bridges on either side.  In a siege, only one of those two would be down.  At the end of each was a pressure plate that retracted the bridge and extended the other, creating a constant system of goblinite precipitation into the valley below.

These bridges were at the opposite end of the map from the volcano's peak, where my forge industry was.  So I made a secure exit down the side of the volcano for better supply if needed (and maybe an escape).  But then a massive siege came, I forgot to lock the back door, and everyone on the volcano was slaughtered before my military could reach them.  I cleaned those green geeks out, but it doesn't feel the same.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 12:34:39 pm »

Hmm... I seem to have had quite a few of these designs, though they were more elegant and pointless rather than elegant and wasteful. I had a marsh embark with no clean water source and a ton of murky pools. I connected all of the murky pools with a system of channels and floodgates, had this system drain into the second soil layer where it was pumped through my dining hall (in a waterfall of course) and down into a cistern that encompassed almost the entire rock layer below my dining hall. A cistern this size would have normally been impossible to fill, but with the construction of chambers and floodgates it was possible to create a working mass of primitive plumbing.

Man, a cistern that doesn't kill fps AND holds more water than I could ever need. It almost sounds like the water in the caverns! Oh... that water. Right.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 09:59:18 am »

Building rooms inside veins of precious ores just so I can have engraved gold walls.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2011, 12:22:20 pm »

I always try to go for looks. I hope to make a place that dwarves would really want to live in. My latest fort for 31.25 is Praisegems (link in sig). It's a big rock island in a pool of magma.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

kenpoaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 12:55:22 pm »

Every dwarf gets their own room, complete with waterfall, well, one open square of magma for heating water/the room, their own statue garden, an engraved wall behind their bed 5 tiles long for amazing frescoes. Their room is also their office/dining room. mingling is discouraged due to the dangerous living conditions. (I WAS going to do magma falls as well, but the dwarves didn't care for that much, as it tended to cause a high mortality rate.) All beds are made out of nethercaps if possible if the biome is hot/scorching.

The workshops are built for the dwarf who will use them, and have their own explicit stockpiles for materials to be used. Raw materials are stored on every other floor, where the plumbing goes. Bins/barrels are made from only colored wood, to keep my stockpiles colorful. Each level is a roughly circular shape, even if it's a tower above ground. once the main fort is completed, phase 2 is designing the labyrinth around it so that enemies never get in, and wander around through different trapped halls based on their speed. Most halls wrap to the entrance of the labyrinth, so a monster that was fast but got wounded gets to tour again, but see a different part of the labyrinth. It contains traps to maim, rooms of kittens, one way doors, rooms of treasure, and many other fun surprises!

Next fort (probably starting today) will be just the labyrinth. Totally wasteful, not efficient, but fun to watch enemies get lost while mingling with my dwarves.
This forum is a bunch of nutters, and you couldn't point to anything to contradict it.
Pages: 1 [2]