Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I was bored, so I made a dwarffortress.org jabber server.  (Read 875 times)

yamamushi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress
I was bored, so I made a dwarffortress.org jabber server.
« on: December 01, 2011, 10:02:45 pm »

I was looking for something new to do this afternoon, and ended up looking for a few good domains for a DF Blog. In my search, I found that dwarffortress.org was free :D  So what better use for the domain, I thought to myself, than a jabber chat server for Dwarf Fortress players  :o

It's a jabber service for people to talk about our favorite game, and it's completely free for everyone to use :)

http://www.dwarffortress.org/jabber/

If you have any problems using it, feel free to ask here or shoot me an email (listed on the page). Most of the issues I've responded to so far were fixed by a client restart, I have no idea why though.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I was bored, so I made a dwarffortress.org jabber server.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 09:28:24 am »

No offense. But the IRC channel got disacosated with bay12 because it was not able to be policed and became a hive of scum and villany. This Jabbber thing sounds like some sorta talky talky thing like IRC... And I fear it will have the same issues, and then it will have the bay12 name attached to it. Which is not a good thing.

Longer story shorter: Attaching the bay12 or DF name to anything not made by or with the permission bay12 is a bad idea and should not happen.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 09:50:32 am »

No offense. But the IRC channel got disacosated with bay12 because it was not able to be policed and became a hive of scum and villany. This Jabbber thing sounds like some sorta talky talky thing like IRC... And I fear it will have the same issues, and then it will have the bay12 name attached to it. Which is not a good thing.

Longer story shorter: Attaching the bay12 or DF name to anything not made by or with the permission bay12 is a bad idea and should not happen.
Where is this IRC channel? I'd be willing to police it if someone would make me a mod.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 09:51:53 am »

Where is this IRC channel? I'd be willing to police it if someone would make me a mod.
Fat chance of that happening.

yamamushi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 10:54:23 am »

Well I've yet to see anyone take issue with www.dwarffortress.com, not to mention the disclaimer in bold at the top of the page clearly stating that it has nothing to do with bay12games.

The service is the official jabber service of the DwarfFortress subreddit, http://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/ , which you can see on the sidebar now. So I don't think it will be going away anytime soon.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 11:01:34 am by yamamushi »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.