Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beds  (Read 1610 times)

sirinon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Beds
« on: January 24, 2012, 10:03:35 pm »

Hey so I have an odd one

Do you guys assign all of your beds individually ? I used to but now I just build bedroomsa and leave them unassigned ... what are the negative effects of this ?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beds
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 10:13:34 pm »

The benefit to assigning specific dwarves specific bedrooms is that you can ensure that they sleep near where they work, thus improving their efficiency. The problem is that this takes quite a bit more of your time and attention.

The benefit to just letting dwarves claim their own bedrooms is that you don't have to assign each bed individually, increasing your efficiency. The problem is that dwarves aren't likely to claim the optimal room for themselves based on their labors.

Somewhere in between is probably most efficient overall, with a few dwarves with time-sensitive or constantly-required labors having optimally-placed bedrooms assigned while everyone else just claims their own. I usually only assign nobles' quarters, myself, and that only because they demand special treatment.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 10:13:52 pm »

Hey so I have an odd one

Do you guys assign all of your beds individually ? I used to but now I just build bedroomsa and leave them unassigned ... what are the negative effects of this ?

Dwarves will claim bedrooms if they are designated as a bedroom even if you don't set them specifically, leaving no ill effects. Just having beds will get "slept without a proper bedroom"

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 10:15:44 pm »

I manually assign my noble's beds, and make a special room for each legendary dwarf, and each champion, which are assigned manually. For the rest of the population I let them work it out for themselves.

Kelenyche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 12:16:16 am »

Yeah, I didn't learn that dwarves claimed bedrooms until I had been assigning beds for a year or two... Real time.  : /  The benefit is giving nobles the nice bedrooms, if you're one of those people

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 01:11:55 am »

I don't even bother with bedrooms. I just stuff a zillion beds into one little room (usually I just dig out an area around the central stairway) and make each bed a bedroom, I used to shrink them down to 1x1 but the bedroom value tends to be higher if they overlap, so now I just let them overlap. If the floor is smoothed+engraved, and especially if it's a vein of precious metal, then the bedrooms will actually have quite high room value. At least up to "Grand". Realistically they should have a bad nights sleep what with other dwarves crawling over them when they're sleeping, but my dwarves seem perfectly happy with the arrangement.