Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Broseph Stalin's Super Awesome End All Be All Dwarf Village Challenge  (Read 17720 times)

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Broseph Stalin's Super Awesome End All Be All Dwarf Village Challenge
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2011, 06:27:09 pm »

I like it but I can't think of a good design. I'm terrible at making things look nice (noble's housing) and everything ends up looking like big rectangles.  :(
Rectangles are good think of all the good things that are rectangles. Monitors, books, doors all rectangles. You know who wasn't a rectangle? Hitler.

I just start with a fair sized rectangle for the bedroom (about 25 square urists) then slap slightly smaller rectangles on for dining rooms and offices. Alternately I just stack a couple of rectangles and connect them with a staircase.

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/CMS/uploadedImages/Images/Homebuilding/Articles/hobbit03_med.jpg
http://static5.depositphotos.com/1000349/406/v/450/dep_4068048-Note-book-with-circular-spiral-in-vector-format..jpg
http://cache.kotaku.com/gaming/geekdesk.jpg

On a more serious note, the real problem here is I don't much like how rectangles look. I've beveled the outside of my guard tower and that's nice, but I want to make these houses look a little more like houses instead of... boxes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2011, 07:05:20 pm »

I like it but I can't think of a good design. I'm terrible at making things look nice (noble's housing) and everything ends up looking like big rectangles.  :(
Rectangles are good think of all the good things that are rectangles. Monitors, books, doors all rectangles. You know who wasn't a rectangle? Hitler.

I just start with a fair sized rectangle for the bedroom (about 25 square urists) then slap slightly smaller rectangles on for dining rooms and offices. Alternately I just stack a couple of rectangles and connect them with a staircase.

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/CMS/uploadedImages/Images/Homebuilding/Articles/hobbit03_med.jpg
http://static5.depositphotos.com/1000349/406/v/450/dep_4068048-Note-book-with-circular-spiral-in-vector-format..jpg
http://cache.kotaku.com/gaming/geekdesk.jpg

On a more serious note, the real problem here is I don't much like how rectangles look. I've beveled the outside of my guard tower and that's nice, but I want to make these houses look a little more like houses instead of... boxes.

Then try circles/hives. Con: Pain to designate, even more annoying to build when you expand vertical levels.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2011, 06:47:57 am »

Hmm... I'd really like to attempt this challenge, but I'm having a hard time deciding what would be appropriate levels of possession for each noble. Would anyone care to help me develop a set of guidelines in this regard?
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Minority

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2011, 07:42:34 am »

Love the idea, but I'm also having trouble coming up with decent layouts for my town. Can people post screen shots of their forts for inspiration?

Cheers

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2011, 10:09:53 am »

Just have it grow organically, like normal villages, only 19th and 20th century cities were ever designed.
(Just look at a street map of pretty much any Eurpoean village town or city - except Milton Keynes :) )

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2011, 09:31:54 pm »

Love the idea, but I'm also having trouble coming up with decent layouts for my town. Can people post screen shots of their forts for inspiration?

Cheers

I like to start by building a simple long house first, maybe 3x5, for the expedition leader to live in then give him the farm so I can get booze production up and running asap. After I get a few houses built for the rest of the nobles I start fencing in the properties with a fairly small walled perimeter just large enough to feed a grazing animal if a siege should come. As the village grows and the expedition leader's "Wealth" builds I make additions.

McMagma

• Bay Watcher
  • McMagma, Fortress Addict.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2012, 06:30:07 pm »

i m making the challenge... but can we make carpentry workshops»

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2012, 06:41:37 pm »

i m making the challenge... but can we make carpentry workshops»

Woodworking is an industry encompassing wood burning carpentry woodcrafting crossbowmaking and woodcutting. You can do carpentry as soon as you have a woodworking noble.

McMagma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2012, 07:07:45 pm »

i                 can have agriculture and woodshop at the same time?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2012, 07:47:46 pm »

i                 can have agriculture and woodshop at the same time?
You can have an industry for every noble. Your expedition leader could be the farm owner and your sheriff could own the lumberyard.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2012, 02:35:40 am »

a suggestion for this. have most of your army made of drafted peasant solders who are poorly trained and armed arm them mostly with spears pikes and other pole arms depending on what mods you play  . have veterans become professional solders who are fairly well armed. But only have your Nobles in full armour (there the ones who can afford it). also possibly equip you veterans with equipment they loot from dead attackers.

McMagma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2012, 02:39:57 am »

i can disgnate shreiff?

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2012, 06:33:28 am »

I think you need a mayor first.

Wiro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2012, 06:54:15 am »

Whenever I make forts like this, I make new noble positions in the raws. You could do the same with each industry to keep things organized.
Pages: 1 2 [3]