Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Broseph Stalin's Super Awesome End All Be All Dwarf Village Challenge  (Read 17462 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile

This is the style I've been playing with lately, it's basically just upping the ante on above ground forts and incorporating a bit of good ol fashioned capitalism. It makes animals a more serious threat and sieges are more realistic.

BSSAEABADVC:

*All construction is to occur above ground. No workshops, or buildings may be built on subterranean squares. Buildings may have basements containing stockpiles but the basement cannot larger in any dimension than the building on top of it.

*There can be no wall protecting the entire village, Nobles may have walls protecting their own property.

*There are no public services. All industries, major stockpiles, and community buildings will be "owned" by nobles and built on the property of nobles. This includes farms, mines, and quarries.

*A noble may only own as many industries as their "wealth" permits. An expedition leader may own one industry (for example agriculture) and the workshops that are a part of this , (farmers workshop and distillery).

*A legendary dwarf is a demi-noble.They can own a workshop but not the primary aspect of an industry(They can own a masons workshop but not a mine)

* All houses must be individually built: no apartments, no dormitories.

*A dwarf's house should reflect it's status and "income".  In a fort that has cloth as a primary source of income a clothier or weaver should have fairly nice accommodations.

*Cage traps can be used provided there's a noble for the trapping industry. Weapon traps may only be built on a nobles property.

*The emergency burrow must encompass all buildings that can be locked or barricaded with a drawbridge (this way dwarves will run to the nearest building)

* To have an organized military you must have a barracks and a barracks must be owned by a noble.

WARNING: Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 01:32:57 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
Re: Broseph Stalin's Super Awesome End All Be All Dwarf Village Challenge
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 12:49:22 am »

What about booze and food? I wonder how you'll be able to keep the peasant dwarfs drinking from the well and eating plump helmets while the nobles get to drink ale and roasted FB anus.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 12:51:02 am by Mitchewawa »
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 01:09:09 am »

Liking the idea, starting a fort right now. Half mountain half lowlands seems nice, maybe a river & volcano...

EDIT: Random name generator spit out Rithol Duthal. Noble Worth  :P

Note, it wasn't on the first try I was hitting r within the fortress naming section.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 01:13:45 am by tommy521 »

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 02:11:25 am »

What about booze and food? I wonder how you'll be able to keep the peasant dwarfs drinking from the well and eating plump helmets while the nobles get to drink ale and roasted FB anus.

I'm sigging this.

I wonder if you could have a few families competing against each other, each with their own retainers and armies.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 02:13:29 am by Eoganachta »
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 08:05:01 am »

I'm sigging this.

I wonder if you could have a few families competing against each other, each with their own retainers and armies.
You could, you would just need to have each squad serve a different noble. If there's an ambush or siege each squad acts independently defending only their nobles property.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 11:31:19 am »

I'm sigging this.

You could, you would just need to have each squad serve a different noble. If there's an ambush or siege each squad acts independently defending only their nobles property.

Patrol routes will allow easy separation of guard squads.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 11:37:09 am »

One could also have 2 families/ clans both owning a castle and only they are allowed to live there. the rest live unprotected in the middle and are slaves

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 11:39:00 am »

I think at a certain level walls can be allowed. Like at the start, a ditch is dug for the small farmstead. After you get a mayor or something a Palisade and so forth. The fact that you can easily be raped through the nose by sieges and random ambushes makes a defense important.
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 01:16:37 pm »

I like this idea. But what about soldiers and barrackses?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 01:19:58 pm »

Perhaps noble's manors can have walls around them. When a siege/ambush is spotted you have to get as many civilians inside the castle as possible. And no farms inside the castle so sieges actually work.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 01:22:47 pm »

Hmm... So only those who can specifically be assigned as nobles count? Or do those who achieve legendary status count, too?

I must say, I'm tempted to try this. I'd want to make sure I had a few building plans in mind before I embarked, though.

Edit:
WARNING: Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.
Sigged.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 01:30:07 pm by Keldane »
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 04:00:31 pm »

Perhaps noble's manors can have walls around them. When a siege/ambush is spotted you have to get as many civilians inside the castle as possible. And no farms inside the castle so sieges actually work.
My setups have nobles mansions inside of walls and all buildings designated as emergency burrows. It means that the levels of screwedness vary, most dwarves end up in their own homes living off of the scarce rations they have access to and and praying that there aren't any building destroyers.Even different nobles fair differently A noble with a farm might be fine but a noble with a mine may starve. You're way balances the screwed so that everyone is safe but nobody can survive indefinitely. It's really a tossup.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 04:11:09 pm »

I think at a certain level walls can be allowed. Like at the start, a ditch is dug for the small farmstead. After you get a mayor or something a Palisade and so forth. The fact that you can easily be raped through the nose by sieges and random ambushes makes a defense important.

Well I usually build my farms on the nobles property and fence in that property, when I blow the siege whistle they all run onto the nobles property or into a nearby house. They're safe but most of them end up trapped somewhere they don't have access to enough food to wait it out.
I like this idea. But what about soldiers and barrackses?
Barracks must be build by nobles and the soldiers who live in that barracks should primarily serve the noble they "work for."

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 05:08:04 pm »

I might try this. My hacked 10k point embarks may be able to help with building the huts, too. I'll have to do this with my worlds hacked where I could bring surface crap, though, 'cause how are you supposed to live like humans without initially having surface crops?

do those who achieve legendary status count, too?
I count them.

I'd want to make sure I had a few building plans in mind before I embarked, though.
Code: (Housing Arrangements) [Select]
Peasants: 1-floor 2x3 wood shacks.
"Normal" Townsfolk: 2-floor 3x4 wood or clay houses.
Wealthy People: 2-floor 5x6 stone houses.
Barons/Counts/Dukes/Kings: 3-floor 15x20 stone BLOCK houses.

All houses get a basement with the same dimensions as the houses they sit under.
I'd suggest having a graveyard someplace, too.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 05:24:41 pm »

I might try this. My hacked 10k point embarks may be able to help with building the huts, too. I'll have to do this with my worlds hacked where I could bring surface crap, though, 'cause how are you supposed to live like humans without initially having surface crops?

do those who achieve legendary status count, too?
I count them.

I'd want to make sure I had a few building plans in mind before I embarked, though.
Code: (Housing Arrangements) [Select]
Peasants: 1-floor 2x3 wood shacks.
"Normal" Townsfolk: 2-floor 3x4 wood or clay houses.
Wealthy People: 2-floor 5x6 stone houses.
Barons/Counts/Dukes/Kings: 3-floor 15x20 stone BLOCK houses.

All houses get a basement with the same dimensions as the houses they sit under.
I'd suggest having a graveyard someplace, too.

I like to give my legendaries workshops but no actual industries, they can have their own still but not their own farm.

I tend to forget what comes with vanilla and what's a product of genesis but when I do a bare bones embark I have my original seven gather plants then brew whatever can be brewed and scrap the rest.

City planning is one of my favorite part of above ground forts. I like to set up graveyards like this

#####
 vx#xv
#####
vx#xv

where x is a slab and v is a downward staircase.  below that it's
#####
^0#0^
#####
^0#0^

where ^ is an upward staircase and 0 is a coffin.

When it comes time to bury a corpse I just floor over the downward staircase and replace the slab with one engraved in their honor.

Pages: [1] 2 3