Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "cancels chasm item: could not find path" x4 x  (Read 988 times)

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"cancels chasm item: could not find path" x4 x
« on: September 04, 2006, 09:01:00 pm »

I had a small footbridge across the chasm, somewhat to the south of the main part of my fortress (between chasm and river).  Most of the time, when my dwarves go to throw something in, they cross the bridge to the opposite side of the chasm and come back up northwards along the opposite side before throwing it in.  I am guessing this is because that is the spot nearest in straight-line distance to where they were when they got the task.

I decided this was overly dangerous, so I retracted the bridge, thinking they would just go to the nearest part of the chasm edge they COULD reach.  Nope.  I get spammed with "could not find path" messages until I re-extend the bridge and let them across once more.

This is wrong.

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "cancels chasm item: could not find path" x4 x
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 09:07:00 pm »

More of this.  It seems that if ratmen are lying in wait in the corridor, it keeps trying to find a path through, and keeps trying, and keeps trying, and they sit there spamming "cannot find path" messages over and over and over and over and over and over until the path is cleared.

If a dwarf cannot find a path to a destination, he should drop that task and move on to another.

Edit: Hm, ok, it ISN'T that they're lying in wait, I just sent a bunch of guys through there.  Still getting spammed with can't find path messages.  No clear reason why.

[ September 05, 2006: Message edited by: Rollory ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: "cancels chasm item: could not find path" x4 x
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 11:21:00 pm »

I'm not quite sure what's up, but I can check the connectivity checks again.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!