Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My fishery is generating turtle shells/bones!  (Read 675 times)

Freakazoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.corpnews.com
My fishery is generating turtle shells/bones!
« on: November 15, 2007, 08:23:00 pm »

I have a crew of 7 dwarves in a fortress where merchants choose to stay and die from madness. Starting around mid-spring of 1055, I noticed my dwarves were dumping tons of turtle shells and some bones into my refuse pile. I knew I had some 100+ cleaned turtles in the food stockpile, but they were being dumped at a rate far faster than they were eating.

That's when I saw where they were taken from: The Fishery. Once in a while, the fishery would suddenly generate a pile of 2-4 shells and at least one turtle bones. They would be cleared out, and a moment or two later, a new pile would appear.

Earlier in the winter, I had my fisherdwarf clean the entire stock of fish/turtles he caught in the year. It took him a long time as he caught a lot, practically took all of winter to clean them. I'm wondering if maybe that has something to do with this sudden generation of shell and bones.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My fishery is generating turtle shells/bones!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 01:10:00 pm »

I gotta ask, since it wasn't immediately obvious from your post: Do you have active "Prepare fish" jobs going on at the fishery, and do you have raw/unprepared turtle in your food stockpiles? If so, your fish cleaner is most likely just preparing raw turtles (which does, IIRC, generate shells and bone). If you have a fisher, he may also be bringing in new turtles.

Edit:
Another thought occurred to me: maybe they're still cleaning out the shells and bone from that massive pile you prepared earlier; did you use [t] on the fishery to see if it is filled with bone and shell, or were you just noticing that they take a few at a time? Or, even worse, did you [t] it and see that it didn't have anything in it, it's not active, and it still spawns them? That would be a rather amusing (and amazingly useful) bug!

[ November 16, 2007: Message edited by: Nesoo ]

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

hapes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 01:19:00 pm »

If your merchants were bringing turtles and your fisherdwarf finally got around to cleaning out the insane merchant's supplies, perhaps that's where they came from.

MJ working

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 01:22:00 pm »

1stly. Procesing the raw turtles into turtle meat does not produce shell and bone.

Eating them does.
And so does Rotting.

Is it possible that your fisherdwarf is processing the raw turtles into turtle and then no -one is hauling the turtles away? Thus they rot and prodcue the stone and bone?

2nd. Is it possible that your dwarves are eating at the fishery and leaving thier bones and shells behind?

Lastly, does the extraction job now net you bones and shells instead of meat when processing raw turtles? That is a small possibility that it does and that you've enabled that job instead ?

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 03:43:00 pm »

There've been other reports of turtles bones/shells mysteriously appearing.  The rotting prepared turtle theory is a good one, it also might be turtles popping up there and dying there.  Did you check the workshop clutter list with 't'?  Is the fishery next to a lake?

Freakazoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 02:49:00 am »

Unfortunately, the spawning pretty much ended. They spawned maybe 3 more times since I posted and that was it.

I checked the fishery and didn't see anything cluttering the space. Since the spawning stopped, I assume that if there were unmoved turtles at the fishery, they're gone now. But if there were some turtles laying at the fishery, wouldn't there be some huge miasma clouds? I didn't see any of that at all.

Hesitris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 12:11:00 pm »

Is the fishery outdoors? If so, then I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have produced miasma even if things were rotting in there.

Freakazoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 05:45:00 pm »

No, it was indoors.

MJ working

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 05:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Freakazoid:
<STRONG>Unfortunately, the spawning pretty much ended. They spawned maybe 3 more times since I posted and that was it.

I checked the fishery and didn't see anything cluttering the space. Since the spawning stopped, I assume that if there were unmoved turtles at the fishery, they're gone now. But if there were some turtles laying at the fishery, wouldn't there be some huge miasma clouds? I didn't see any of that at all.</STRONG>

I would have thought there would be miasma clouds if it were the rotting.
That is why I leaned towards the dwarves eating there myself. I have regularily seen dwarves drink at my still. And it could be a bug , just offering my few cents worth.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 07:56:00 pm »

I think the fish cleaner is hauling a fish to the fishery then getting distracted and wandering off. Then another dwarf is wandering by and eating the fish.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 04:12:00 pm »

I started seeing this in my fort, and figured out the issue.

I had a bone/shell pile next to my craftdwarf shop, but it had been filled up.  There was nowhere to haul the shells/bones that were being left behind in the shop.  After I made a bunch of shell armor they hauled them away.

The strange thing was that they weren't in the clutter list, I had to use 'k' and put it over the middle of the fishery.  Not 100% sure that the clean job was generating them or if they were rotting out there, because my food piles have been pretty full too.