Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Maximum upper z-level issue  (Read 982 times)

Ebergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Maximum upper z-level issue
« on: December 03, 2011, 05:52:29 pm »

Hello guys,

My friend is having a strange problem - for his imagination, the 20 z level above cap (in embark site there's max +5 z-lvl hill, so in total there's 20 z-lvl above space) is simply too low!
He would like to change it without quitting his 7-ingame-year-old fort, maybe through file modifications?

Suggestions and guide how-to-do-it requested :D

PS- He also may dig. but his ~120 z-lvl underground space is too low and has Funny obstacles included.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Maximum upper z-level issue
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 05:58:32 pm »

It is not possible to change the number of Z-levels in a map after the world has been generated.  You can set the number of Z-levels above ground with custom world settings when making the world, but nothing after that.  So far nobody but Toady understands the save game file format well enough to make those kinds of changes.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 05:59:45 am »

It's simple. Dig out every z-level from the top-most ground level downwards, until there's enough empty space for what you want.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 07:11:25 am »

It is not possible to change the number of Z-levels in a map after the world has been generated.  You can set the number of Z-levels above ground with custom world settings when making the world, but nothing after that.  So far nobody but Toady, god and Chuck Norris understands the save game file format well enough to make those kinds of changes.
FTFY  ;D
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.