Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: How Dwarf Fortress Influences You  (Read 25786 times)

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: How Dwarf Fortress Influences You
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2011, 04:23:16 am »

.... And pus, blood, carps, were-flying magma carps, were swiming magma elephants and crundle leather armor.

Anyways a item in DF can be anything from material to weapon.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheese is essential to any successful fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2011, 09:10:35 am »

When I started a new Dwarf Noble character in Dragon Age: Origins a while ago, I named him Urist and his dog Armok.

Also, I was saving up for a new computer, but the reason I decided to actually buy it when I did was because my turn in (then) Failcannon was coming up.

Like the person below me, I also created a dwarf character in Terraria, with a friend. Mine is called Urist McDiesalot (x), where (x) is the nth iteration (i.e. II, III, etc.). I already used loads and loads of explosives, for everything.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 10:33:31 am by Strategia »

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2011, 09:33:00 am »

I bought terraria for my girlfriend and I a while back during a steam sale and we hadn't played it much. A new update recently came out and I made a character with a beard and dirty brown clothes named Urist. He uses a bulky axe (+size, damage and knockback, - speed if I recall) even though they're more for woodcutting in that game and as weapons they're fairly useless. He goes out of his way for any amount of precious ore, rushes headlong into impossible battles, has a love for explosives, and he steals materials from other people's chests when he gets in a strange mood.

They recently implemented pumps in that game, so my next goal is to make an arena that when switched on allows for boss battles while simultaneously dumping lava on anyone trying to interrupt.

Also, my friends and I have taken the adjective "dwarfy" into our group's vocabulary. Now we have a proper word for anything with equal parts absurdity and ambition.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2011, 02:54:12 pm »

I started writing a fantasy story starring a dwarf, who in the first draft was actually called Urist. I changed that later on, but the third chapter has someone singing "The Ballad of Captain Ironblood". This story also features an elven city heavily inspired by Liverpool, though, so make of that what you will.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2011, 03:05:13 pm »

I started writing a fantasy story starring a dwarf, who in the first draft was actually called Urist. I changed that later on, but the third chapter has someone singing "The Ballad of Captain Ironblood". This story also features an elven city heavily inspired by Liverpool, though, so make of that what you will.

He's an ELF! Burn him!
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Lungfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2011, 07:52:59 am »

Me too on the new preference of Dwarves in RPGs.
  Frequently after or during a dwarf fortress game I'll use DF keycommands in web browsing, especially < to go up a z level. Some times when it doesn't do anything, I get angry before I understand.
  Also, when at work, when someone says something that's been asked many times before, I imagine Footkerchief appearing with a catalogue of that thing's previous mentions.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2011, 08:35:13 am »

Dwarf Fortress really helped me start writing my own stories.

Also, I now have bragging rights on the fact that I do have the patience to build a megaproject, above-ground, made of wooden blocks and then see it get torn to shreds because I forgot to put in a front door.

All I got from that was experience, patience and a severe hate for doors.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2011, 11:37:49 am »

All I got from that was experience, patience and a severe hate for doors.

You should've used more doors.

Don't be hatin' :P

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2011, 01:08:15 pm »

He's an ELF! Burn him!
There's actually a reason for it. I decided to put a slightly different spin on the usual "dwarves = Celtic/Norse mashup" trope by giving the protagonist a Welsh accent, and added a throwaway line about the elven city he happens to be passing through in the first chapter being in the rain-shadow of a mountain range belonging to the dwarves. At this point the uncanny similarity struck me, for Merseyside is basically a dumping ground for all the shitty weather that won't fit into Wales, which probably explains the deep-seated mutual loathing between the Welsh and the good burghers of Liverpool.

And in any case, the idea of Scouse elves made me laugh.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2011, 10:01:39 pm »

Two thing I can think of:
1. I now find dwarves to be the best race ever in any fantasy setting. If dwarves are an available race in a game I absolutely need to be a dwarf.

2. Unrealistic weapon materials bother me now. Why does a gold sword do more damage than a copper or silver one? RAGE!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2011, 10:04:29 pm »

2. Unrealistic weapon materials bother me now. Why does a gold sword do more damage than a copper or silver one? RAGE!
It does if you're smashing your enemies with the side of it :P

1. I now find dwarves to be the best race ever in any fantasy setting. If dwarves are an available race in a game I absolutely need to be a dwarf.

Addictions to Dorfs is only the first symptom my zergling friend. I could say furry friend, but oh-wait now.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2011, 02:26:25 pm »

Everyone knows that shininess=power.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2011, 02:54:27 pm »

Add me to the list of people who frequently use dwarves in RPG settings. My current D&D character is a dwarf, though sadly his name isn't Urist.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2011, 03:19:40 pm »

In every RPG I don't necessarily play a dwarf, but I always play with an unreasonable hatred of elves.
Hello Hunam

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2011, 01:31:58 am »

I'm a better writter.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8