Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: How Dwarf Fortress Influences You  (Read 25836 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How Dwarf Fortress Influences You
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2012, 05:22:40 am »

I think about dwarves more when I see them. I don't see them as the short humans with long beards, chronic alcoholism and giant axes anymore.

Also, when I see the name "XXblahblahXX", I think "low quality name" instead of "stupid user"...

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2012, 12:31:17 am »

Iv developed an irrational hatred of elves and now when ever i get the chance in other games i kill them on sight (try killing every elf in morrowind)

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2012, 04:24:49 pm »

I usually never played dwarves (or dwarfs?) in RTS games. Now I play them wherever they are available. I also tend to think magma is a viable solution to most things (I blame you Necro!). I never play elves in any games no more.

wow, i hadn't noticed i did that too until you pointed it out...

Diicc Tater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2012, 07:21:38 am »

Fiance thinks I play DF when starved for sex. SO I make sure she sees me playing every now and then. So DF usually gets me extra sex.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2012, 09:11:18 am »

That's excellent.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2012, 09:53:34 am »

Iv developed an irrational hatred of elves and now when ever i get the chance in other games i kill them on sight (try killing every elf in morrowind)
Me too. I didnt notice until I played The Witcher 2, and literally laughed at a suffering Elf.
Then I felt a bit puzzled until I realised why :)

The Music in Dwarf Fortress relaxes Me.

Theres lots of other small things, but those are the big ones.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2012, 03:46:25 pm »

The Music in Dwarf Fortress relaxes Me.

o_O

:,D

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2012, 03:53:02 pm »

I noticed today that my user description is "Beware its fiery temper!", but I've never actually lost my temper here. Maybe it's the schadenfreude.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2012, 09:05:23 pm »

I named my latest EverQuest character, a wood-elf druid "Treehugging Freak"

I do also have a dwarf paladin named "Mushrooms" (from before I played DF, I needed an alt to just stand in one spot waiting for mushrooms to spawn, pick, wait 7 minutes , pick, wait 7 minutes...)

And a dwarf berzerker named "Urist", that I never play 'cause I don't play melees, only casters.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2012, 12:19:26 am »

While not so much on the "Burn all of the elves!" side of the fence in other games as some of you are, I do find myself slightly bewildered when I encounter Elves who are nice, polite and lacking in cannibalistic tendencies.

Of course, playing Skyrim allows you to encounter so many arrogant Elves that, while I have second thoughts about killing them, that second thought only occurs about ten minutes after I'm wearing their ribcage as a hat.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2012, 02:04:20 pm »

Of course, playing Skyrim allows you to encounter so many arrogant Elves that, while I have second thoughts about killing them, that second thought only occurs about ten minutes after I'm wearing their ribcage as a hat.

I do believe this deserves a slow clap.

*clap*

*clap*

Jimmitheking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2012, 03:38:23 pm »

This is a masterwork thread. It menaces with spikes of text.
says a remarkably large amount about what it is doing to you.

sometimes I end up thinking of something epic, start to feel like I really want to do it, then realise I'm acting like a dwarf in a strange mood, and the idea simply goes to the back of my mind once i think about it logically. (I had a thought about learning how to forge, realized that it was stupid and alot like a dwarf in a strange mood (how was I supposed to learn it, and how was I supopsed to get a forge going?) then simply gave up. all within 5 seconds)

Sigged
"I’m waiting for “Sausage Factory Worker 2011: Conveyor Belt Controller Edition”"
That's soon to come, im sure of that!

Just Cause 2 is like if Spiderman joined Al'queda.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2012, 07:38:23 pm »

I do believe this deserves a slow clap.

*clap*

*clap*

I'm trying to decide if you're mocking me or not.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2012, 08:20:51 pm »

Fiance thinks I play DF when starved for sex. SO I make sure she sees me playing every now and then. So DF usually gets me extra sex.
I'm probably going to hate myself for asking this, but why exactly does your significant other believe that playing Dwarf Fortress is a symptom of sexual frustration?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Jimmitheking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2012, 10:10:49 pm »

I'm probably going to hate myself for asking this, but why exactly does your significant other believe that playing Dwarf Fortress is a symptom of sexual frustration?

Because his fiance like beards? or beards that smells like alcohol and plump helmet cookies?
"I’m waiting for “Sausage Factory Worker 2011: Conveyor Belt Controller Edition”"
That's soon to come, im sure of that!

Just Cause 2 is like if Spiderman joined Al'queda.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8