Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: How Dwarf Fortress Influences You  (Read 25512 times)

Pray_for_Snow

• Bay Watcher
  • MATT DAMON'S TIMECLONE
    • View Profile
How Dwarf Fortress Influences You
« on: December 04, 2011, 02:32:06 am »

In this thread, post any !!strange moods!! that cause you to insert dwarven things into other things.

My examples are:

Making a Dwarven cleric in Dugeons and Dragons 3.5e named "Urist McHealer", with Alcoholism and an obsession for impressive constructions.
Naming a Pokemon in my Nuzlocke run of Pokemon Blue after a dwarf I had in game that drowned in the river within a week of embarking.
Spiking a NERF Gun I had, so it looked more like a dwarven weapon.

Don't hold back, post them all!
This is an Artefact Thread. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with text and images of various dwarves. It menaces with spikes of data.

My X-COM UFO Defense LP. Finals Week Hiatus.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: How Dwarf Fortress Influences You
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 08:16:28 am »

insert dwarven things into other things

Yeahh...

JackoftheBox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 08:30:57 am »

I made a dwarf assassin in the first edition of D&D (it was some "remake", can't remember the name but it was related to mazes and goblins)
His name was Urist McStab
His weapon was a sharpened crowbar
He was a drunk, a cannibal, and the lost prince of a dwarven kingdom (the backstory was something bizarre)

If I want to get drunk I usually drink booze, used to drink beer.

Sometimes I have strange moods when walking in the city and go to buy some good (a bit expensive) whisky.

I recently started to grow a moustache, with this amount of influence from DF, I'll propably have a beard next year.
This morning I found myself looking at the numberplates of the cars on my drive in to work and seeing them as tileset characters in ASCII... a silver Renault I was behind had an interesting scene of a Human wrestling a Minotaur near a bin.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 09:47:08 am »

It lets me spot the vast number of DF references in Dungeons of Dredmor.

Really... the game might as well have been called 'an homage to Dwarf Fortress and its community through the medium of dungeon crawling'.
[Signature]

Joey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 03:24:33 pm »

I usually never played dwarves (or dwarfs?) in RTS games. Now I play them wherever they are available. I also tend to think magma is a viable solution to most things (I blame you Necro!). I never play elves in any games no more.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 03:35:44 pm »

Does the world suddenly turning into ASCII and 2D glory count?

JackoftheBox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 03:42:45 pm »

It's okay... give me a hug... everything isn't lost yet, the doctor says it will take years but you might recover.
This morning I found myself looking at the numberplates of the cars on my drive in to work and seeing them as tileset characters in ASCII... a silver Renault I was behind had an interesting scene of a Human wrestling a Minotaur near a bin.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 03:51:20 pm »

This is a masterwork thread. It menaces with spikes of text.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 04:02:23 pm »

I remember the Minecraft update that added mine shafts and the little blue poisonning spiders that lived inside. I was properly terrified. One shot of them was enough to let me on the brink of death, and there was a bloody spawner 3 meters away, with 4 or 5 of them inside and webs to slow me down. So I quickly walled the corridor off and took some time to think.

What was the solution to the problem ?
And it hit me : Magma. Magma is always the solution. Apply magma.

So I backtracked a few corridors, took a bucket of lava from a source, dug my way on top of the spiders nest and emptied the bucket on top of the spawner.
Problem solved.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 04:06:58 pm »

Playing DF, has made me want more from other games. Like for instance, with D3, from what I've seen, and read, and what little I've gotten to play, has left me, lack luster.

And, its not due to any of the popular reasons to dislike Diablo 3, but because, its dungeons, though fantastic in its variety, art, ect, it just strike me as weird. There isn't a lot of correlation with the dungeon you're in, and where you are. Or why the mobs are where they are in the dungeon.

It lacks IC reason to be where it is.

I find this unfair, as D3, never claimed to be that, but I cant help but want it anyway.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 07:46:12 pm »

It's okay... give me a hug... everything isn't lost yet, the doctor says it will take years but you might recover.

Romaq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 01:26:57 am »

Working on a real life DF beard. DAMNIT I meant to put away DF 2010 for a while, at least for the next DF release and maybe a fix to the CTD on memory touching ~ 2 GB memory. Can't get the game out of my skull... I'll have to set DF up to play again. Damnit.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 12:28:29 pm »

Working on a real life DF beard. DAMNIT I meant to put away DF 2010 for a while, at least for the next DF release and maybe a fix to the CTD on memory touching ~ 2 GB memory. Can't get the game out of my skull... I'll have to set DF up to play again. Damnit.

"You've heard the saying an Englishman's home is his castle, well... Mine is a fortress."

*Insane cackling ensues*

GROUW DAHT BEAAARD NAUOW.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 12:34:03 pm »

This is a blank sig.

JackoftheBox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 12:56:16 pm »

Oh my... gotta sig this one
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8