Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: I need to hit a lick on a space sim and go ham on it.  (Read 10125 times)

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
I need to hit a lick on a space sim and go ham on it.
« on: December 04, 2011, 03:29:01 am »

Why is it that this genre seems to have more or less died out? The only thing I can think of is Murphy's Law seeing as I love games like Freespace and Freelancer.
The only series that still seems to be going is x^n n>0 and even though I really, reeeally want to, I just can't get into those.

So are there any good space sims, preferably with some ship customization and exploration that might have flown under my radar these last few years?

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
Re: I need to hit a lick on a space sim and go ham on it.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 04:44:09 am »

You're saying that you feel the urge to steal (or pirate) a space sim and go crazy with it? They're generally meant to be used as software, not cocaine.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 04:50:16 am »

Been listening to too much Jesse Cox. But no I do not intend to steal, but I do intend to get my hands on it and go crazy with it, you have not lived until you have snorted space sims! :p

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 04:53:53 am »

Then change that part of the title from hit a lick to acquire.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 05:02:49 am »

What is wrong with you? You should be playing Manshooter 2011 like every other normal person ever on the planet. Pew pew pew pew pew

Now that you mention it though, no, I think the game you just mentioned is the most recent space flight/exploration/whatever thingy I've heard of, and I've not heard of any new ones in development. Be a good average gamer and just get manshooter like the rest of the gameplayer world and don't worry about getting new, cool stuff.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 05:19:53 am »

I think the problem was that the space games became more focused on space combat and accurate physics rather than exploration and trading. Sales went down.

I have also been having the itch. I downloaded the Evochron Mercenary demo. It takes like three minutes to land on a planet. Good if want a simluator experience. Bad if you want an exploration/trading experience. I also tried the X games. Same cup of tea. More about combat than anything else.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 06:43:53 am »

Why is it that this genre seems to have more or less died out? The only thing I can think of is Murphy's Law seeing as I love games like Freespace and Freelancer.
The only series that still seems to be going is x^n n>0 and even though I really, reeeally want to, I just can't get into those.

So are there any good space sims, preferably with some ship customization and exploration that might have flown under my radar these last few years?

What are you looking for in a space sim?
There is orbiter but I'm not sure if it's too realistic and not enough to explore for you.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 07:11:02 am »

Then change that part of the title from hit a lick to acquire.

No

What is wrong with you? You should be playing Manshooter 2011 like every other normal person ever on the planet. Pew pew pew pew pew

Now that you mention it though, no, I think the game you just mentioned is the most recent space flight/exploration/whatever thingy I've heard of, and I've not heard of any new ones in development. Be a good average gamer and just get manshooter like the rest of the gameplayer world and don't worry about getting new, cool stuff.

If I play Brownfield: Modern Bloomfare I am afraid my computer will run out of brown and blur.
I think the problem was that the space games became more focused on space combat and accurate physics rather than exploration and trading. Sales went down.

I have also been having the itch. I downloaded the Evochron Mercenary demo. It takes like three minutes to land on a planet. Good if want a simluator experience. Bad if you want an exploration/trading experience. I also tried the X games. Same cup of tea. More about combat than anything else.

I'll hit the googles on that Evochron and check it out.

What are you looking for in a space sim?
There is orbiter but I'm not sure if it's too realistic and not enough to explore for you.

Nah that is too realistic, I am thinking futuristic sandboxy space exploration, with trading, some combat, customization and hidden "secrets" to find in the galaxy, an overarching story wouldn't hurt either.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 07:51:55 am »

Pioneer is very good for exploring around as it can look really nice with their amazing terrain code.
Early combat code is in and combat occurs very rarely so it's not annoying like it was in the Elite serie, missions and trading are in, ship customisation and buying other ships are in too.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 08:19:21 am »

Still in development, but available in beta form, Miners War and Blockade Runner seem like to be games to follow.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 09:56:54 am »

There's a couple of open source remakes of elite and privateer dotting about the interwebs

As mentioned there is evochron but I found that gets very repetitive after a short while

You could try the battlecruiser/universal combat games if you want a large game with a large amount of freedom.
The later titles even resemble a finished state, and the earlier ones have even been released for free download

ryan5050

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 10:40:08 am »

Try Prospecter Its like lcs

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 11:15:35 am »

That was never the appeal of the X-Wing vs. TIE or Freespace, though; they were straight combat.  I suspect it has more to do with the rise of the FPS...I love Half-Life, but it spelled the beginning of the end for space sims when it made the FPS pick up in popularity.

KG

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 11:43:47 am »

You could try eve online, it's not completely bad. The X series can be about trading only if you choose to, you just need to get past the first couple story missions, or start a game in sandbox mode. Honestly, Freelancer was way more combat-oriented than X2 and X3. There were a couple other space games released in the last few years, but none of them were memorable.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 12:12:42 pm »

Agreed with the op, it was the exploration side of Freelancer that really dragged me in - and while I am a fan of the X series, have have played EVE, they don't quite have the same sense of tentatively poking your nose out into the unknown.  Nothing quite equals that feeling in Freelancer when a bolt of electricity briefly shows you the silhouette of a jumpgate looming out of the gas cloud ahead of you, outlined against the clouds.  EVE feels a bit too much like it's on rails, and the X series just feel a little bit empty of natural phenomena.  Freelancer felt big and, with hidden secrets galore, but at the same time managable in scale.

On topic: Darkstar One is okay, but not great - maybe worth a shot, but don't expect it to meet all your expectations of the genre.  There was a freeware game called Vegastrike knocking around a couple of years back that I haven't seen since, but might still be going and may have been developed more in that time.  Failing that...you're right, the genre's died away a little bit.  We need more Elite/Privateer/Freelancer style games!
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely
Pages: [1] 2 3 4