Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How can I get this embark?  (Read 2613 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
How can I get this embark?
« on: February 11, 2012, 11:45:21 pm »

I'm going to be working on a mini-megaproject.

I need the following conditions:

1.  The map must be completely flat.  Literally.  Even a 1z hill and this is no good.
2.  It must be a forest.
3.  There must be no aquifer.
4.  There must be a river 8 to 10 tiles wide.
5.  Very deep soil is required.
6.  It must be a cool climate, with sub-freezing temperatures between late autumn and early spring.
7.  No siltstone, because fuck siltstone.

Multiple attempts at generating a world with these conditions have failed.   What can I do to get this?   I've managed to get everything but the flat part.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: How can I get this embark?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 11:49:43 pm »

Reduce the elevation variance in world gen. That might help with the flatness.

And mod out aquifers.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Urist McBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 11:50:43 pm »

Why not just channel the map flat?
This is a known source of vexation.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 11:53:48 pm »

First, in the embark screen, press the 'tab' key for a bit to look at varying screens on the embark spot. For the flat land, look for those blue 0s. That is flat land.

Mostly, forests are troublesome as it is often raised land and a few depressions here and there. Aquifers are common in Broafleaf forests.

Rivers...hard to explain, the size of them mostly vary but in proportion to their distance from a major river/lake (Represented by two parellel ~ in the map, color is blue)

Cool climate? You need the freezing temperatures? Regen the world until you see light blue squares, and a forest near those. That is the cold region of the world.

I'm unsure as to how stone layers are generated, you may have random bits of stone depending on embark. You may just delete the entry of Siltstone in the raws to get rid of it.

Edit: 2 Ninjas

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 12:02:03 am »

1. Turning the erosion cycle count up really high in advanced world gen tends to create flatter worlds. Otherwise, make sure you check the elevation variance map before you embark to make sure it's all 0s.

2. Search for high rainfall, medium drainage. That tends to produce forests.

3. Modding out aquifers is a sure-fire way to make sure you don't get aquifers.

4. In advanced world gen parameters, turn up the starting and desired river source counts up. That'll make more brooks, which will join to form more streams, which will join to form more and bigger rivers. The biggest rivers will be found relatively close to oceans, so look around those.

5. Soil tends to get deeper near oceans, so, again, looking near oceans is likely to be beneficial.

6. I guess you'd need to go to the relatively-extreme north or south of your worlds, since oceans tend to make the areas around them less extreme in temperature.

7. Like with aquifers, modding out siltstone is a sure-fire way to make sure you don't get it. Also, DFHack's prospector feature now works (mostly) on the embark map, so if you want more than one suitable location, checking to see if their biomes have siltstone before you embark would help avoid it.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 12:20:11 am »

1. Turning the erosion cycle count up really high in advanced world gen tends to create flatter worlds. Otherwise, make sure you check the elevation variance map before you embark to make sure it's all 0s.

2. Search for high rainfall, medium drainage. That tends to produce forests.

3. Modding out aquifers is a sure-fire way to make sure you don't get aquifers.

4. In advanced world gen parameters, turn up the starting and desired river source counts up. That'll make more brooks, which will join to form more streams, which will join to form more and bigger rivers. The biggest rivers will be found relatively close to oceans, so look around those.

5. Soil tends to get deeper near oceans, so, again, looking near oceans is likely to be beneficial.

6. I guess you'd need to go to the relatively-extreme north or south of your worlds, since oceans tend to make the areas around them less extreme in temperature.

7. Like with aquifers, modding out siltstone is a sure-fire way to make sure you don't get it. Also, DFHack's prospector feature now works (mostly) on the embark map, so if you want more than one suitable location, checking to see if their biomes have siltstone before you embark would help avoid it.

1.  Already doing it.

2.  Also, elves.

3.  I've already done that.

4.  Check.

5.  Yeah, that's true.

6.  What?  Can't I just set the min temps for world gen and max temp for world gen to a certain range?  BUT I don't know what that is.

7.  I should do that, but I like the ore it tends to contain, so I'd need another sedimentary layer to replace it with.

EDIT:  I should clarify, I'm doing these in one way or another and still not having any luck.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 12:32:55 am by Vehudur »
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 01:33:42 am »

You can increase erosion cycles beyond the maximum of 1000 by changing it in the world gen init text file (while not in the world gen, naturally)

I used to obsess over flat sites. Unlike many nonpermitted changes made there, this one actually seems to stick and have effect. So make it like 7,000. And set elevation variance very low. Worlds like this are very hard to gen, though. I may not remember it right, but when your world starts with a pancake shape, single mountain in the middle and circular huge flat island around it, you know you're doing it right.

Forest occurs with high rain, high drain (while swamp with high rain, low drain). So give high preference to high drainage and high rain. Also adjust the weight for preferred temperature range.

Also, tweak other variances very high, that way the same forest will be scorching in one embark position and freezing in the next - making it more likely you'll find something you like.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 01:39:15 am »

By the way, according to the wiki's biome section setting minimum drainage at 33 and minimum rain at 66 should mean a forest biome is always generated when possible. This may make it hard for civilizations to live, though.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 01:50:19 am »

I got it to work.

It's not ideal, but it works.

Also, all the humans died out in this world.  Dwarves and elves to rule the world!  Only one goblin civ.