Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How 'open', typically, do the underground sections of your fortress end up? Is this how you like it?

My fortresses typically have compact, distinct rooms and/or narrow, neat hallways. I usually don't feel the need to change this.
- 83 (38.4%)
My fortresses usually end up pretty closed in, but I'm usually not happy with it.
- 12 (5.6%)
My fortresses typically have sprawling, expansive chambers (walls and specific rooms optional). I am generally happy with this.
- 46 (21.3%)
My fortresses usually end up with many large, open sections, but I often find myself wishing I could somehow undig stone.
- 14 (6.5%)
N/A; My fortresses are typically a more-or-less even mix according to my taste, built above ground/in the caverns/at the circus, and/or Mr Frog sucks at making polls.
- 35 (16.2%)
Evenly-mixed, but I'm cursed and the parts that I want closed-in turn out spacious and the parts I want open end up all claustrophobic.
- 26 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 216

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Narrow Hallways Vs. Expansive Corridors: A Poll  (Read 17189 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Narrow Hallways Vs. Expansive Corridors: A Poll
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2011, 06:44:17 pm »

I never liked huge, open spaces except for specific purposes (23x23 dining rooms and stockpiles, sometimes an open pit as the central, distinguishing feature.) If I'm quarrying stone or digging up a vein, I like to repurpose the space for something, usually upperclass bedrooms or raw materials stockpiles for nearby workshops.

hallways are always 3 tiles wide, I like to arrange workshops by category or function into 7x7 spaces (4 each.), or 11x11, more recently.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2011, 04:03:35 am »

It seems that even why I try to keep things tight and compact, I always end up growing and spreading out. The same is true for my halls. I just can't seem to separate myself from my love of sprawling cave-cities.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2011, 05:39:21 am »

I'll see your production floor and raise you Relicstorm's main floor:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I like roomy forts.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2011, 06:28:28 am »

I don't know why but I HATE large rooms, I preffer a huge fort of small, narrow corridors leading to tiny rooms.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

andreus015

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2011, 10:33:03 am »

Gimicky shapes get me

Doughnut189

• Bay Watcher
  • Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2011, 10:36:59 am »

I think
these
speak
for themselves.
Imagine you're driving a car. Push the gas pedal to the floor. Close your eyes. Remain this way for ten minutes while turning the wheel at whim. This is Dwarf Fortress.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2011, 03:04:07 pm »

My fortresses are are always like, there's an entrance hall, where the traps are and stuff, then there is the trade depot, a huge hall that's my main dining area, it is encircled by living quarters, and connected to food warehouses and production centers. Further down are the craft areas.
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2011, 05:51:59 pm »

Not knowing whether a 3-wide corridor is expansive and wide, or not a waste of space, I opted to claim that I use a happy mix.  My corridors are all 5-wide.  Ramps are 5-wide to match the corridors.  Up-down staircases are 3x3 to fit inside the junctions of corridors without blocking them visually.  Mining follows veins.  Water pipes are 1-wide.

Basic rooms are 11 x 11.  These are cut into 5 x 5 rooms for residences.  Large storerooms may be 2 to 4 times as large.  Dining room is about 9 times larger.  Farming areas are dug to match the soil available.  Walled-in outdoor areas tend to be as large as the terrain allows.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2011, 09:50:57 pm »

That is hella expansive. A 200 dwarf fortress needs 4 wide corridors at best. I keep mine at 3 wide. Also 11x11 rooms are too much, 1x3 is enough, my rooms are all 3x2 or 3x3. Nobles get fancy stuff though.
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2011, 10:16:48 am »

I feel the 5-wide corridor fits best visually with the rest of my design.  I like the 11 x 11 rooms because there is room for either a decent-sized stockpile or the workshop(s) and stockpile(s) for some kind of industry.  While the 5 x 5 commoner residences are larger than they need to be, that won't hurt anything until there is a functional economy.   :)
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2011, 04:08:14 pm »

I have narrow hallways except for sometimes a main hallway so stuff doesn't get congested, and some small rooms but mostly a few huuuuuuuuuuuge rooms that I stuff all the workshops I can in, or beds I can, or tables and chairs, etc.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2011, 09:36:50 pm »

I think
these
speak
for themselves.

You are SO cooldwarfy. I think this has inspired me to try my hand at bilateral symmetry.

EDIT: hmmm... time to start a game with 7 proficient miners.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 09:39:01 pm by Cellmonk »

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2011, 09:56:58 pm »

I prefer compact spiraling fractals centered around a large 3x3 staircase. It is a very Zen-like feeling.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2011, 10:04:56 pm »

I've adapted a more vault-tec style building method with my halls.

I primarily operate with 3-wide halls. If I'm expecting really high traffic, then they would expand to 5-wide with 3-wide branches, and off any other 3-wide (branch) I include 1-wide branches and the respective rooms for that hall. Optionally, I would use 2-wide halls if, let's say housing, gets a little cramped and distant. But I usually try to keep distances short while using 1 Z-level as much as I can.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2011, 12:13:10 am »

I'll see your production floor and raise you Relicstorm's main floor:

I like roomy forts.

Nice. Very nice. But I doubt you waste as much room as me with your....

Spoiler: LIVING QUARTERS! (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5