Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How 'open', typically, do the underground sections of your fortress end up? Is this how you like it?

My fortresses typically have compact, distinct rooms and/or narrow, neat hallways. I usually don't feel the need to change this.
- 83 (38.4%)
My fortresses usually end up pretty closed in, but I'm usually not happy with it.
- 12 (5.6%)
My fortresses typically have sprawling, expansive chambers (walls and specific rooms optional). I am generally happy with this.
- 46 (21.3%)
My fortresses usually end up with many large, open sections, but I often find myself wishing I could somehow undig stone.
- 14 (6.5%)
N/A; My fortresses are typically a more-or-less even mix according to my taste, built above ground/in the caverns/at the circus, and/or Mr Frog sucks at making polls.
- 35 (16.2%)
Evenly-mixed, but I'm cursed and the parts that I want closed-in turn out spacious and the parts I want open end up all claustrophobic.
- 26 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 216

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Narrow Hallways Vs. Expansive Corridors: A Poll  (Read 17242 times)

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Narrow Hallways Vs. Expansive Corridors: A Poll
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2012, 08:01:00 am »

I have lately been doing a design where I dig a large, central corridor that can be as much as 10 wide and VERY long, either with trade depot right inside, or just outside, then I make a ton of 2-wide corridors going out of this main hall. I'd say my fortresses are definitely tight, and I always have individual rooms for individual purposes. Most rooms, such as for workshops and stockpiles, are 6x6 with double doors.

As for an open, non-room-based design? I've never tried such things, but anymore, my farm plots are all in the same room, instead of in 6 6x6 rooms, so maybe I'm moving in that direction. I used to make my fortresses span several Z-levels, but I think it looks better ęsthetically to keep as much as you can on a single floor, with the advantage of being to see what's going on anywhere pretty easily.
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]