Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How 'open', typically, do the underground sections of your fortress end up? Is this how you like it?

My fortresses typically have compact, distinct rooms and/or narrow, neat hallways. I usually don't feel the need to change this.
- 83 (38.4%)
My fortresses usually end up pretty closed in, but I'm usually not happy with it.
- 12 (5.6%)
My fortresses typically have sprawling, expansive chambers (walls and specific rooms optional). I am generally happy with this.
- 46 (21.3%)
My fortresses usually end up with many large, open sections, but I often find myself wishing I could somehow undig stone.
- 14 (6.5%)
N/A; My fortresses are typically a more-or-less even mix according to my taste, built above ground/in the caverns/at the circus, and/or Mr Frog sucks at making polls.
- 35 (16.2%)
Evenly-mixed, but I'm cursed and the parts that I want closed-in turn out spacious and the parts I want open end up all claustrophobic.
- 26 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 216

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Narrow Hallways Vs. Expansive Corridors: A Poll  (Read 16964 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Narrow Hallways Vs. Expansive Corridors: A Poll
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 07:34:31 pm »

Quote from: Fishbulb
efficiency can get stuffed.

This sums up my fortress designs.

BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 07:38:36 pm »

BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!
Having a sudden increase of additional units in the area can take your FPS down like a paraplegic on an ice covered hill.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 07:51:39 pm »

Personally, I plan my fortresses around the situation. Big 'ol Titan strolling towards your embarking 7? DIG DOWN NAOW.
Need to tap into some magma? Release it into the halls, the halls are now diamonds. Dig tunnels... Everywhere. Large sky fortresses are required. Not so much a fan of living underground, but when you have to do it, you better do it with style.

Spoiler: I don't even... (click to show/hide)

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 07:52:30 pm »

I'm debating whether or not to sig this.

EDIT: sigged.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 07:56:38 pm by fergus »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 08:03:35 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

:'( Bay12 can be so beautiful and mad sometimes  :'(

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2011, 08:08:09 pm »

I'm debating whether or not to sig this.

EDIT: sigged.

I feel honored.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 08:10:53 pm by Kepplerr »
Having a sudden increase of additional units in the area can take your FPS down like a paraplegic on an ice covered hill.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2011, 08:10:13 pm »

Bay12 gives so many reasons to be afraid of cats.

Dwarfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 01:21:20 pm »

My style has evolved due to the lessons I've learned via play.

I generally build vertically, with different floors devoted to different tasks. I have underground agriculture on the top level, a storehouse level / workshop level, and then a life/non-activity level below that. I try to keep that central dining room/meeting place as close to the primary food store as possible to have a accurate depiction of idling dwarves.

My hallways tended at first to be three lanes wide, but I am moving to two lane to prevent collisions and speed up fortress dig times.

My storerooms are generally huge wide areas, with the very first one being an 'all items accepted' custom room. This is because my style is to get underground as quickly as possible, moving away from the wagons. Later, I separate stockpiles into a handful of small categories, but honestly I've given up on the time it games to build a massive series of separate stockpiles for each type. It just takes too long and I have to get underground before the invasions start after the first year.

Workrooms are generally large rooms that contain four of the same type of workroom, with doors. Also, I tend to separate out fisheries, kitchens, and butchery shops into very tight separate rooms in case something doesn't get collected and miasma starts.

I generally go for a collective side bedroom. With economies turned off, coin unusable, it doesn't make sense to spend all the time digging and customing individual dwarves apartments. I am usually in a race against time to get established, and my fortresses are streamlined to the effect of preparing for the first invasions that happen ridiculously early. I'm not much of a RTS player, so I find the game very difficult to organize, and I'd rather let the game run while I look at my fortress and make tweaks.

My latest problem is trying to build an efficient textile industry, since I can't seem to process the plants I want (cave wheat and pig tails get confused, rotting happens a lot, the whole system is dependent on bags but I run out of bags and cannot make more because the system is clogged).

My priorities on outset:
1) Dig farms
2) Drop a giant stockpile
3) Move off surface
4) Start digging straight down for magma, avoiding cavern layers by tunneling through solid rock and never breaching the cavern, simultaneously while setting up workshops
5) Massive amounts of farming and pot creation
6) Begin supporting other industries than plump helmet production, starting with magma forges and smelters attempting to build weapons as fast as possible, all migrants forced into military to attempt to prepare for the invasions.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2011, 02:04:51 pm »

I've quite enjoyed my new bunker approach, within the entire fortress (once it's matured of course), I dig out 30 tiles worth of bridges, doors, constructed walls and a lot of things controlled with mechanisms and traps.
Nothing leaves or enters without a Dwarf knowing it.
Legendary dining room, legendary bedrooms, studies and dining rooms for all (granted only around 20 dwarves), taking up an entire z lvl, with an on sight staff of farmers and haulers, along with an internal reservoir, as well as the chief medical dwarf and his retinue.

Absolutely tantrum proof.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 02:09:38 pm by Loud Whispers »

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2011, 02:08:04 pm »

I've quit enjoyed my new bunker approach,

I love it when I see people made funny errors.
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2011, 02:10:02 pm »

I've quit enjoyed my new bunker approach,

I love it when I see people made funny errors.

Indeed, my e key has been an elf recently :d

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2011, 03:51:49 pm »

i have been using 3-wide hallways, with a 3x3 main staircase. the big rooms are 11x11, with 3x3 workshop rooms on the sides of these rooms. i put the rooms a few levels down, with 11x11 barracks, 11x3 rooms for the mayor and sheriff (3 of such for each of them), and a metric ton of 3x3 bedrooms for the common dwarf. nobility (the baron/count/Duke) gets a set of 11x11 rooms with a 5x11 tomb, and a 5x5 statue garden of their very own. the dining hall is at the food stockpile, and is usually a pair of 5x5 rooms with smooth walls and engraved floors.

i like to dig out a huge expansive area in the soil. once the cavern is breached, this becomes my underground lumber source. also good for farming and plant gathering. i also like to build a waterfall inside the entrance, where a lot of dwarves walk to and from the trade depot/garbage dump by the craftdwarf workshop. im currently draining to the first cave level via carving fortifications.

once i find a good pattern, i tend not to change it much. i have found that the best way to kill goblins is to build a T intersection of traps. this way when their morale breaks and they run, theres a good chance they will retreat across the still-untriggered traps. any who make it across the drawbridge to the cave traps will be pitted once their armor is taken for melting.

at this point, im starting to consider moving to a 5-wide corridor pattern. forts get fairly heavy traffic once you get to 200+ population. 3-wide is somewhat cramped, at least visually.

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2011, 04:20:26 pm »

I generally do not need hallways, as my forts are predominantly vertical, with one room on top of another.  Walls are overrated, making dwarves walk around them rather than just going straight across whatever room just for some esoteric sense of rooms?  No thank you.  They won't know there is a room there unless you explicitly declare one there through the game, and even then walls are not necessary.

I used to box individual workshops into their own little rooms with doors.  The idea behind this was mostly to be able to lock a moody dwarf in when I couldn't meet their demand.  I've gotten better with moods, so I don't really need to do this anymore.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2011, 06:12:49 pm »

So long as everything looks roughly symmetrical to the immediate surroundings, I wouldn't care about whether it was wide or narrow.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2011, 06:29:53 pm »

Open areas (currently hollowing out 3 z levels of a 6x6 embark) with specificaly designated high/forbidden traffic areas to speed pathing.

I'm planning an underground 'city' with roofed buildings in a massive open space... (should have done it in a Cavern with water/bridges..., but maybe next time)
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5