Go after the rogue Captain
- 3 (100%)
Retrive the Fragile Cargo
- 0 (0%)
Drone Clearence
- 0 (0%)
Some Easy Escourt duty
- 0 (0%)
Screw all you rule obeying fools! There are other means of credit procurement!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 71

Author Topic: The Firestar  (Read 81812 times)

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Firestar
« on: December 05, 2011, 08:51:35 am »

Not too long ago you and several of your mates were trailing through a scarp field looking for something valuable to scavange when you stumbled upon an abandoned ship drifting in space.
Closer inspection revealed it to be an impropperly decommissioned warship which all things considered is in remarkably good condition.
The name Firestar is printed on the side.
The Firestar is what's known as a sudden striker vessel, it's designed to deliver massive amounts of firepower over a very short time while being fast an manuverable enough to preform hit and run attacks.
They once were very popular but fell out of frontline use as engagement ranges increased rendering the kind of powerful short range weapons they carried useless.
It didn't take long for you to decide to fix it up and get it running again.

Spoiler: Firestar Description (click to show/hide)

Recommissioning the power core, engine and rail guns took less than three hours work collectively.
Though there were some issues you ran into such as the fact that everyting not nailed down hand been taken before the ship was abandoned.
This meant no munitions for any of the guns was left in storage and the entire computer system had been completely wiped of everything.
Someone somehow managed to juryrig the operating system of the shuttle you arrived in to work on the Firestars computer systems.
Gloroiusly lights and computer screens around the ship began lighting up
You now have control over your very own warship, now what to do with it?

Spoiler: status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: rules (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: crew roster (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 10:34:14 am by Jerick »

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
Re: The Firestar
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 08:56:32 am »

> Become a Pirate!

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 09:04:05 am »

Can I RP a Marine or soldier on board?
>Go To Lastros Ak'Mkal! The Ssaros are very inviting there? And since it's a decommissioned ship, why not stop by the Scrapyard?
Kestrel, ITS A TRAP! It's luring you into false security! DON'T FALL FOR IT!!
Tomb of Horrors can pretty much be summarized by "ackbar.jpg"

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 09:18:02 am »

In most places the regularly used routes are heavily patroled in case of pirates attempting to board cargo vessels in scifs and shuttles but there are some places with plenty of traffic but no patrols.
The disputed terrirtory between the United Sol league and the Collective of Imperial Worlds is one such place.
It's a wide band of terrirtory in which if ethier of the two powers enters the other threatens war however merchants of have begun hiring privateers and bounty hunters to deal with the pirate problem that has sprung up in the absense of law and order.
In short it's land of oppertunites but it's more than a week away so if you want to head there you'll have to stop somewhere to get more supplies.

Can I RP a Marine or soldier on board?
>Go To Lastros Ak'Mkal! The Ssaros are very inviting there? And since it's a decommissioned ship, why not stop by the Scrapyard?
The guys that recomissioned the ship are largely just guys trailing through a scrap field looking to find something expensive.
No one aboard has any kind of official position but if you want to Rp a guy in body armor who brought an assault rifle be my guest.
Also you are currently in a massive scapyard.

Going to Lastros Ak'Mkal would take about three days from here but would send you in the other direction to the disputed territory and mean you'd leave the rich scrapyard that already provided an intact warship.

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 09:23:32 am »

Do I do a character sheet?
>Leave a Nav Marker to this Scrapyard. That'll be useful. And disputes take DECADES to solve themselves. Plenty of time.
Kestrel, ITS A TRAP! It's luring you into false security! DON'T FALL FOR IT!!
Tomb of Horrors can pretty much be summarized by "ackbar.jpg"

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 09:23:56 am »

I'll be the sys admin/hacker.

> I go looking for something to get us some 'net access so I might download some open source software for handling something this big or even an AI creation kit.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 10:12:25 am »

I'll be the sys admin/hacker.

> I go looking for something to get us some 'net access so I might download some open source software for handling something this big or even an AI creation kit.
Most inhabitated systems have a system wide network which with this being a millitary vessel can access in seven different ways.
But you have a hard time finding anything of worth on the network.
This system's primary purpose is as a dumping ground and there are not many people online interested in what would be the equavalant of an open source version of an oil tankers computer code.
You did manage to find reference to an open source project for developing code for heavy cargo vessels being worked on in a neighbouring system.
This neighbouring system is called Galvenn and has numerous shipyards.

AIs on the other hand are a touchy subject.
Once they were declaired a sentient species their creation has become a whole lot harder.
While programming them you must adhere to a strict series of guidlines that mean you can't purpose program an AI as it has to be able choose to do preform the function you want it to have or choose another path in life and you need your code extensively reviewed before even compiling.
And if you are found to disobey these rules expect any AIs you encounter to be out for your blood.
People rarely bother with them anymore though which causes considerable unrest with AIs that already exist as the AIs aren't allowed to create other AIs (and are programed to prevent them doing so) and are lossing their jobs and positions to simpler unintelligent programs.
They have stepped up their protests as of late.

Do I do a character sheet?
>Leave a Nav Marker to this Scrapyard. That'll be useful. And disputes take DECADES to solve themselves. Plenty of time.

Please do it'll make things easier for me to keep track off.

You add the co ordinates to the nav computer, the nav computer is now no longer complete devoid of nav points and may actualy be useful.
While your at it you add in the co ordinates to the local sation, Galvenn, the disputed zone and Lastros Ak'Mkal.

Spoiler: Nav computer (click to show/hide)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 12:04:42 pm »

Yar har fiddly-dee, being a space pirate's alright with me!

I say the flexibility of an AI that can run our ship would be an excellent goal. Do we want to create our own AI, or should we "liberate" an existing one, and recruit it to our cause in exchange for license to make baby AI's? What say ye, space pirates?

While we decide what to do in that regard, we should stockpile the resources necessary for our trip to the Disputed Zone.

In fact, I'll play along as Engineer- What is the propulsion system of the Firestar? Do we need fuel, and how big is our "tank?" What supplies do we need to perform routine maintenance? What supplies do we need to repair combat damage? And in general, get to know this ship VERY WELL.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 12:33:25 pm »

So no sapient AI, no well tailored software... what about a simpler AI, at about the intelligence of a rat, that I put in control of a simulation of the ship and let lern by trial and error? Or maybe a whole group of them. The main problem would be making the simulation of the ship most likely.

Or we can just say **** the rules, and make a secret AI. Maybe program it to play sonsentient so other AIs won't notice we broke the code...

Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 12:55:40 pm »

Yar har fiddly-dee, being a space pirate's alright with me!

I say the flexibility of an AI that can run our ship would be an excellent goal. Do we want to create our own AI, or should we "liberate" an existing one, and recruit it to our cause in exchange for license to make baby AI's? What say ye, space pirates?

While we decide what to do in that regard, we should stockpile the resources necessary for our trip to the Disputed Zone.

In fact, I'll play along as Engineer- What is the propulsion system of the Firestar? Do we need fuel, and how big is our "tank?" What supplies do we need to perform routine maintenance? What supplies do we need to repair combat damage? And in general, get to know this ship VERY WELL.

Creating or changing AIs even without all the restrictions is still very hard and is the absolute hieght of the programmer's art.
It'd be esier to recruit one, but you wouldn't be able to change it so it can program other AIs without "killing" it.
That said AIs are free agents with the right to choose where they're run and what they do for a living.
There is one in the system looking for work and it asks for a wage of five credits a week and some cpu cycles to itself to control cargo vessels.

The local station should have plenty of supplies to sell and is about three hours journey from your current position.

The propulsion system is an unknown you didn't even need to open the engine casing as recomissioning it in this case just reconnecting all the different wires and pipes.
It doesn't appear to consume fuel which is interesting becuase you know of no drive system that doesn't.
There is a fuel tank next to the hanger for refuel shuttles and fighters.
You came well equiped to fix negelected and weathered devices, you already have everything you need for retinue maintence.
But there are better tools and equipment out there.
As for battle repair supplies there are a few things you could do with
  • Armor Slab replacement: The front armor is modular and designed to be an expendable damage soak that's easy to replace. It might be a good idea to have a few replacements in storage (but most places don't sell huge slabs of armor built to fit outdated ships so you'll have to get them specially fabricated)
  • Crawler bots: built to seal hull breaches from the outside and fix hull plating and any other external issues
  • Spare raw materials: Spare wiring and structural supports can go a long way to keeping the ship running after taking heavy damage

So no sapient AI, no well tailored software... what about a simpler AI, at about the intelligence of a rat, that I put in control of a simulation of the ship and let lern by trial and error? Or maybe a whole group of them. The main problem would be making the simulation of the ship most likely.

Or we can just say **** the rules, and make a secret AI. Maybe program it to play sonsentient so other AIs won't notice we broke the code...
All those are viable solutions but would take work or you could just hire one.

Btw I'm waiting for at least two people to agree on where the ship's heading next before I move it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 01:02:49 pm »

Scan the debris fields and gather anything that looks dense/ usefull.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 01:14:02 pm »

Scan the debris fields and gather anything that looks dense/ usefull.
You could search this debris field for years and not stop finding useful things.
In your imediate vicinity you find an ample supply of all the things ships are made of and stock up on raw materials for repairing any future damage to the ship.
You also discover the remains of a PT vessel it's smashed to pieces but it's flak cannon turret is still intact with a magazine full of shells for it.
Quickly you disassemble the turret and bring it and it's ammo aboard.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 01:59:11 pm »

Investigate the protesting AI's more thoroughly- an AI sympathetic to our cause would be more valuable than a wage slave. And if we can convince an extremist who is willing to die for AI reproductive rights, then all the better! AI Liberation Front, who's with me?

For now, I suggest we fly to the station and stock up on supplies, then learn more about Lastros Ak'Mkal. Just how inviting are these Ssaros? They'd better be pretty damn inviting if we're going three days out of our way for'm!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 02:00:48 pm »

I send an anonymous encrypted message to the AI, describing that we're probably interested in the deal, but that something much better to everyone involved can probably be arranged with us not caring about legality, and finally a key to let it respond in some untraceable way.

Ninjaedit: waiting for consensus.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 02:33:33 pm »

A.I liberation front + Debris field full of scrap = Von Neumann machine