Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Gah! Minecraft. Rage!  (Read 21797 times)

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: Gah! Minecraft. Rage!
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2011, 02:26:59 pm »

I'm far more active on the DF related boards. Of course, that doesn't mean I don't see myself as the one true unquestionable and absolute ruler of the lower ones as well.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2011, 02:33:10 pm »

...the one true unquestionable and absolute ruler...

For one of those your subjects don't seem to abide to your will very much.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2011, 03:03:55 pm »

Sure they do. You see, it is my desire for every one of you to have free will, as it makes my existence far more interesting. And because my will is absolute, not even I can go against it, meaning I am(for the most part) only able to influence you, rather than control you directly. This ensures that each and every one of you are able to learn and grow, and therefore continue to surprise and entertain me.

Rest assured though, should I ever tire of it all, you, along with everyone and everything else in this realm of existence, would vanish instantaneously.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 03:05:32 pm by King DZA »

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2011, 03:37:26 pm »

The funny thing is the things I would add to DF make it MORE complex (More races, underground civs with whole histories in worldgen, more kinds of stone/ore/metal - there are probably already enough gems).
We already do this, letting Toady work on the more intensive coding. See for example, the Dig Deeper GOLD mod or the Genesis mod in the modding board. Come next version, the modding community will go into overdrive with all the new 'tools' we get access to.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2011, 04:42:20 pm »

The funny thing is the things I would add to DF make it MORE complex (More races, underground civs with whole histories in worldgen, more kinds of stone/ore/metal - there are probably already enough gems).
We already do this, letting Toady work on the more intensive coding. See for example, the Dig Deeper GOLD mod or the Genesis mod in the modding board. Come next version, the modding community will go into overdrive with all the new 'tools' we get access to.

Woo... My mod got a mention :)!

Subliminal messaging: go play Dig Deeper GOLD now!!!
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2011, 02:08:01 am »

I like Minecraft.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2011, 07:58:20 am »

Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2011, 08:52:32 am »

Uhmm...Can we just state that Minecraft and DF both have their own appeals and their own...gaming audience[/unbiased]

However in my opinion, Minecraft is easy to understand, is in a one-person perspective yet you do not get to enjoy the lore on what you mine or craft or kill. Most are repetitive and you have to pay for the game [not saying that it is bad though].

DF, it has geographic layers, world borders, fantasy-ish structuring and sociological factors, randomness, textual description in detail and here, even losing is fun!

I do like both games, each gives the chance to make your own world BUT I see that games that have depth to them and difficulty with every discovery attract lesser people for some reason. I do enjoy every house I carve in minecraft yet more so my fortress where my smilies of death hold the line against dash throwing g's, the mental focus on just text gives the edge, moreso that it is Three dimensional. Also, the mods work and feel like expansion packs, the forum [Bay12 in general] is filled with people who do not troll in obvious ways, who are less prone to whimsical nonsense [sorry  :-\ ], who are kind to newbies and help them in good and not-so-good-but-utterly-fun ways, and much more. It was the forum that drew my attention to the game itself, the writing of stories and how they built their legend. Also, Area of Effect effects, cave-ins changing the tide of battle. A horde of invaders stopped by a wooden door. People too afraid to cross a narrow tunnel to safety because it is wet [4/7 filled with water ramp?] and even equipping about fifty shields on your sword arm gives satisfying images to the gamer.

Uhh, Sorry. First time visiting General Discussion forum, new to this talk, got lost in discussion.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2011, 09:17:10 am »

I do enjoy every house I carve in minecraft...

I never understood why one would want to build a topside house in MC  :-\

Much more efficient, and better-looking to dig a home into the mountainside.

When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2011, 10:15:51 am »

I enjoy dug-in houses. Topside ones stay square though and I'm not good in architecture but dug-ins have a natural feel to them.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2011, 10:28:31 am »

I enjoy dug-in houses. Topside ones stay square though and I'm not good in architecture but dug-ins have a natural feel to them.
Or maybe it's just the whole dwarf-thing about them  :P

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2011, 10:34:10 am »

Minecraft, can't bring myself to play it anymore. Utter boredom.

Dwarf Fortress, can't bring myself to stop playing it. Utter fun.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2011, 02:54:28 pm »

Congratulations. Perhaps you want some cake for this? Or a plate of sugar cookies?
*Hugs*

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2011, 03:53:41 pm »

Depends. Are they made of elven ears?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2011, 04:02:44 pm »

They are made of cave wheat and tunnel tubers.
*Hugs*
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5