Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Gah! Minecraft. Rage!  (Read 21800 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Gah! Minecraft. Rage!
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2011, 06:42:08 pm »

Depends. Are they made of elven Tears?
FTFY
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2011, 06:58:18 pm »

Look, as similar as these games are, they aren't the same. Minecraft is much, much, simpler. I think that the reason minecraft is more popular than DF is because DF is much harder, much less accessible. Minecraft, almost anyone can play, it's simple, you dig, you craftm you mine. In df, you dig, you make homes, provide for people, smelt, keep people from going mad, assign jobs, micro-manage, fight off golbins, fight of elves (at least I try to...) fight of dragons... and all with a force starting with 7 short, bearded men. Not to mention the learning curve

For those wondering, DF's Learning curve  |
                                                         |
                                                         |
                                                         |
                                                         Etc.

Need to add a pit of lava onto the bottom.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2011, 11:32:49 pm »

I do enjoy every house I carve in minecraft...

I never understood why one would want to build a topside house in MC  :-\

Much more efficient, and better-looking to dig a home into the mountainside.
I enjoy dug-in houses. Topside ones stay square though and I'm not good in architecture but dug-ins have a natural feel to them.
Personally, I make a strange looking circular (!) room in a mountain. And then build upwards from there until I have a giant tower growing out of the mountain. Personal bonus points if it's sticking out at an awkward angle somehow. More bonus points if all the walls are made of mushroom.

The doomsday lever that explodes semi-randomly selected hunks of the tower, releasing lava all over the place is just icing on top.

...Playing both Minecraft and DF has made me a very unusual person.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2011, 06:15:27 am »

Personally, I make a strange looking circular (!) room in a mountain. And then build upwards from there until I have a giant tower growing out of the mountain. Personal bonus points if it's sticking out at an awkward angle somehow. More bonus points if all the walls are made of mushroom.

The doomsday lever that explodes semi-randomly selected hunks of the tower, releasing lava all over the place is just icing on top.

...Playing both Minecraft and DF has made me a very unusual person.
If that is unusual, then I dont want to be usual.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2011, 06:50:12 am »

Unusual = creativity here. That moves mountains by little stones.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2011, 06:14:05 pm »

To be fair, Minecraft in general was different and much better before Notch had (3000) Unread Messages, Topic: Y U NO UPDAT GAEM
I miss the unofficial Lava and Zombie Survival modes for creative multiplayer.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2011, 02:51:03 am »

Minecraft is a good product, but it's not a substitute for Dwarf Fortress.  There's no reason to feel jealous.

Actually, it's far more a substitute for Slaves to Armok 1, which is a thread Toady unilaterally dropped long before anyone heard of Minecraft.  Armok 1 could loosely described as DF with a first-person view, but is far, far worse at that than Minecraft.

It's instructive to think about why this was so.  Armok 1 was dropped because Toady realized that cramming in the features that he wanted would require a massive amount of 3D artwork.   So he dropped that and did Armok 2 (that is, Dwarf Fortress) in text mode, using a coarsely voxelated world that was easy to geo-mod and simulate.

Notch's brilliant feat was to recognize that if you gave people first person 3D and geo-modding, they would be grateful enough to forgive the jagged landscape that results from 3D perspective view of a coarsely voxelated world.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2012, 12:12:28 am »

(don't read this if you would like to not be meme traumatized.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

but in all seriousness.
Call of duty was good years ago. than the maker got greedy. (everyone will agree.)
Halo was good years ago, but than Bungie got greedy. (sorry halo fans, its true.)
minecraft was good way the fuck back in alpha. (than Notch got Lazy/Greedy.)
(now honestly i apologize for this painful truth.) Bethesda's games used to be good, but then they got un-imaginative. (i shit you not half of Skyrim was taken straight from the mythology's of several cultures.)
[INSERT MAINSTREAM SERIES] [INSERT PARENTHESIS FROM ABOVE]

Dwarf Fortress was good back in 2D. and, welp, it has only gotten better as Toady is neither lazy nor greedy.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2012, 01:36:40 am »

My brain groaned loudly when I saw this topic back on the first page. How does this thread keep getting 910'd? Just let it die, the argument wasn't even a fun one before it got driven into the ground!
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Troopperi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2012, 06:36:51 am »

Minecraft is a commercial game. This is not. It's still fun that DF is much better than Minecraft. People may think this as hard to play too, because graphics are so bad (or they think so) and this is hard to learn. Still, this is a very comlex and versatile game, and when I bought Minecraft, I thought: "Why is this too simple."

Think about mining stone with WOODEN pickaxe. Other "lol"-feeling I got was "diamond ore".
I was going to change the name of battle axe to Dane axe but the I realized that there are no Danish in DF.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2012, 02:20:53 pm »

Elitism, the thread! Seriously, if you guys seriously think that Minecraft is oh so awful game hogging attention from Dwarf Fortress, you shouldn't sound like you have low self esteem and whine about it. You sound like "Oh, suuuuure Minecraft is more well known and popular than Dwarf Fortress, but WE are SO much more intelligent than those stupid Minecraft players, they are total idiots"

On more serious side, my problem with Minecraft is that I can't get immersed in it. Main appeal of Minecraft is building huge fancy building out of blocks and I happen to not be into that, hence why I don't build mega projects in Dwarf Fortress. I need some reason why I'm alone in world with zombies and monsters and stuff. Maybe in future it will get updates that will make it more easy for me to get immersed, but either way Minecraft and Dwarf Fortress are completely different games with different appeal.

Same thing about Terraria =P Appeal of Minecraft is exploration + building, Appeal of Terraria is exploration + fighting, appeal of Dwarf Fortress is simulation + building + fighting + the fact that game makes you fill the spots with your imagination making the immersion incredibly easy and fun + bloody hilariousness.

I play all three of them somewhat. Dwarf Fortress and Terraria the most since Minecraft is kinda boring to me because at the moment its not my kind of game. Also, stop insulting Notch, while he may be genuinely unpleasant person, its hard to say what rumors are true, I wouldn't call him lazy just because he updates slowly. Toady doesn't need you guys defend him by insulting another guy.

Now, how about we all insult Survivors of Ragnarok, game intended as "Easier Dwarf Fortress"? <---- Totally not intentionally hypocritical suggestion

Also, I agree with post that you should have never revived this thread =P
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 02:26:13 pm by MaskedMiner »

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2012, 06:29:15 pm »

I don't know what are you talking about, but I would like to state that I hate Notch, and I would like him to return all the money. To me, preferrably.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2012, 08:45:57 pm »

I really don't get this DF player elitism. Comparing DF and Minecraft is like comparing scrambled eggs to fried eggs. Some people like one, some like the other, and a lot of people like both. Starting a flamewar/heated discussion about DF and Minecraft is just as dumb as a heated argument about how to prepare eggs.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2012, 11:37:27 pm »

as long Is this is front page'd...

If any modders out there want a challenge feel free to make a new DF/Minecraft map converter tool!

the old one was was boss! and broken now! >:U
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2012, 02:30:35 am »

Dang it for someone reviving the thread again...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]