Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Gah! Minecraft. Rage!  (Read 21654 times)

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
Re: Gah! Minecraft. Rage!
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2011, 08:26:22 pm »

Terraria's a quaint little game that's basically 2d minecraft with a greater focus on fighting. Hell, it even has multiple bosses and rarespawns. It's probably my least favorite out of the DF>Minecraft>Terraria grouping for me, but I still play it occasionally with my girlfriend. I'd have to say it's even more accessible than minecraft since it has set goals. It can't hold your interest for too long, but if you see it on a steam sale for 3 bucks or whatever you may as well pick it up if you have someone you want to get into games.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2011, 10:01:20 pm »

Huh, I had no idea about Terraria. When I saw screens I thought it was just another side scrolling shooter. Not that that makes me want to play it.

Dwarf Fortress has caused me to begin studying geology. While that might not seem like much, I'm 31 and already have a college degree, so I'm just learning it for fun because DF just sparked that in me.

When I'm at work, I design optimal workshop/stockpile layouts and pixel art designs (for great hall flooring) on graph paper.

I have an entire binder full of printed magmawiki articles.

I do appreciate however all you all have said about minecraft. As I have never played it I just knew it by it's "theme" (mining and building megaprojects it seemed to me) and while I knew it lacked the complexity of DF I was not aware (aside from graphics) there were so many fundamental differences.

Nor am I saying DF players are "better" than minecraft players. My marine analogy was just to describe how to really enjoy DF you have to work hard with it, stick it out, put up with FUN, and revel in all that it is (i.e. complexity) while popular AAA games these days (CoD, Modern Warfare) are so brainless there are videos on youtube of people winning levels without even shooting their gun at enemies, such that it's basically a cinematic experience pretending to be a game. We are more patient, which in this day and age is even more rare than intelligence.

The funny thing is the things I would add to DF make it MORE complex (More races, underground civs with whole histories in worldgen, more kinds of stone/ore/metal - there are probably already enough gems). I'm kinda sad Toady is focusing on adventure mode right now because I think the caverns could be really fleshed out. Oh, and I long for the day when computers are good enough so that we can have forts with thousands of dwarves and actually raise armies (20-30 dwarves does not an army make) and take the fight to the bloody goblins!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2011, 10:17:33 pm »

Oh, and I long for the day when computers are good enough so that we can have forts with thousands of dwarves and actually raise armies (20-30 dwarves does not an army make) and take the fight to the bloody goblins!

At this time, the army arc is little more than a tiny speck on the edge of the horizon. Is it a tree? A large rock perhaps? Until we're close enough, no one can tell. But rest assured, we'll get there someday.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2011, 12:04:33 am »

they just want a fine set of graphics to admire
In the topic titled "Gah! Minecraft. Rage!".

It may described as "every uncomplicated, interesting game (like tetris, minecraft) have small chance for turning into a hit of year. Overcomplicated games WTFisthis generators (like NetHack, DF) have zero chance for turning into a hit of year."
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2011, 04:31:26 am »

Oh god! He linked TVtropes....
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2011, 04:43:16 am »

I enjoy DF, Minecraft, Terraria, and JADE and [whatever else] for different or similar reasons.  While I am entirely capable of seeing some lines of comparison between these various titles, my worldview has me seeing each one independently, without having to juxtapose it with something similar or different, causing me to see the merits and values inherent to each clearly and without bias.

Though the Pac-Man may roam the corridors devouring each individual pellet in a wholly linear fashion, the Snake recognizes that though those pellets might be the same in many ways, they are themselves the corridor that confines them.  Realizing this, they become enlightened.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2011, 04:57:16 am »

I'm just guessing the OP hasn't seen the 15241 post Minecraft thread we have down in OG then.
*Hugs*

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2011, 07:18:40 am »

I'm just guessing the OP hasn't seen the 15241 post Minecraft thread we have down in OG then.
It wouldn't be the first time that an Upper-Boarder never went below the DF GD.

Also, this is one of the most over-discussed topics ever.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2011, 08:28:10 am »

Upper-Boarder
What, we have a caste system now?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2011, 08:35:08 am »

There's always been a divide between the upper board and lower boards.
Eh, flamebait.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 08:37:26 am by The Merchant Of Menace »
*Hugs*

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2011, 09:55:45 am »

...popular AAA games these days (CoD, Modern Warfare)...

To be precise that would actually be CoD: Modern Warfare. You were probably thinking about CoD and BF, but for whatever reason listed CoD and MW as if they were two different series.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2011, 12:57:13 pm »

Upper-Boarder
What, we have a caste system now?
Yep. I'm not really in any class, as I go from General Discussion to DF General discussion, rarely poking my head outside of that area. the only exception would be the forum for the first Armok game, but that's frozen.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2011, 02:08:15 pm »

I only visit DF General Discussion, Dwarf Mode Discussion and the Swordthunders reclaim thread. Yeah, I'm an Upper-Boarder.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2011, 02:23:13 pm »

*insert join us meme here*

Typical lower board response to such statements.
*Hugs*

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2011, 02:24:32 pm »

When I posted this it was my first time on this board (General Discussion that is, not the DF boards in general). I generally stay in Gameplay Questions and Dwarf Mode Discussion, as that actually helps me with the game.

I've never been one to talk about things other than game-related items on a game specific message board.

So I'm a low total post count, upper boarder. I'm the unwashed masses.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5