Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven Crafts  (Read 6361 times)

Plenti

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarven Crafts
« on: December 09, 2011, 03:08:29 am »

Hello there, I'm a pretty new player doing my first real playthrough without using tutorials and I stumbled upon a more or less of a problem.
I tried to check the wiki/forums but couldn't find any related.
Anyways the thing is that my Stonecrafters are starting to make crafts in a rapid speed and it's annoying assigning dumps every fifth minute.
I split the low and high qualities in diverse stockpiles.
Is there a way for me so the dwarves automatically trash the low quality crafts?

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Crafts
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 03:20:24 am »

There's not a setting that I know of, But if you can split the stockpiles, you can put one in a room hooked up to a "Magma toilet" design you should be able to find on the wiki, to flush them all down/burn them up. Alternately, trade them with the elves. Elves don't deserve the good stuff.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 07:18:31 am »

Remember, Elves do not like wood, so don't trade wood with them!
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 07:44:27 am »

Remember, Elves do not like wood, so don't trade wood with them make sure to carve large wooden effigies of their leaders in fetal position, engraved with images depicting elves cowering before dwarves, and box them up tight in large wooden bins before you trade them to them.

Fixed.  As for the OP, im pretty sure you can filter stockpiles according to quality, check out the costume stockpile menu for this..

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 07:59:56 am »

You can set certain stockpiles to only take certain quality items. Do what Josh said and put the low-quality stockpile near your dumping area.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 08:27:33 am »

Remember, Elves do not like wood, so don't ALWAYS trade wood with them!

:D
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 10:30:43 am »

Uh, do note the OP already is splitting high and low quality crafts in different stockpiles. No, this to me seems like a problem of "stockpile not big enough". Make the low quality stockpile accept no bins and be a huge 15x15 in size. Then when it gets full, do a mass-dump-designation and arrange for them to throw all the trash into an atomsmasher bridge. Don't worry, once your stonecrafters get even better, they'll stop making low quality products altogether, with everything being at least exceptional level (unless they're hungry/thirsty/drowsy).
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 10:40:08 am »

Just make a massive stockpile and trade it all away, make the traders happy!
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 10:46:52 am »

These days, I usually start my stonecrafters making stone pots en masse-- quality doesn't make a difference in whether or not they can hold booze! Once they get higher level I add stone crafts/r if needed, though with how fast I tend to overproduce food it usually isn't necessary.

Captain Swing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 05:14:01 am »

If you make enough finished goods, you can just trade a load of them for anything. That's my strategy when it comes to trading - mine out massive warehouses, use the stone from it to build hoards of finished goods, bung them in the warehouses and forget about them until I can palm them off to the next caravan for everything they own. I like to think that there's a kingdom somewhere whose economy is getting overrun with tacky gift shops because there's nothing else that they can do with the £10,000 worth of diorite sceptres that they end up buying every year.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 10:35:01 am »

If you make enough finished goods, you can just trade a load of them for anything. That's my strategy when it comes to trading - mine out massive warehouses, use the stone from it to build hoards of finished goods, bung them in the warehouses and forget about them until I can palm them off to the next caravan for everything they own. I like to think that there's a kingdom somewhere whose economy is getting overrun with tacky gift shops because there's nothing else that they can do with the £10,000 worth of diorite sceptres that they end up buying every year.

Actually the traders are making a bundle since even your low quality crafts are authentic souvenirs from a *legendary* fortress (reason for said legendariness varies of course since it might be for awesome, tragic, or comedic reasons.)  They haul them off and then get a fat 200% markup.  Especially once you're adding the "Good Mountainhomes Seal of Approval stamp on the bottom of that mediocre mudstone mug.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 12:18:56 pm »

I usually only use stone crafts as early trade items as their base value is pretty unimpressive. However if you want to train up your stonecrafters anyway and actually produce something useful, have them make stone pots. Also make sure you're using bins for your crafts if you aren't already.

Good call on splitting the stockpile. As someone else suggested, I recommend trading all your crap stuff away first. An easy way to do this is to simply mass forbid all your good stuff before you send your crafts off to trade. After you've gotten rid of most of your crap stuff start having your jeweler encrust finished goods with whatever gems you have lying around. If you have a good gem setter those stone crafts may start reaching values of several thousand dwarf bucks.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 12:36:58 pm »

Uh, do note the OP already is splitting high and low quality crafts in different stockpiles. No, this to me seems like a problem of "stockpile not big enough". Make the low quality stockpile accept no bins and be a huge 15x15 in size. Then when it gets full, do a mass-dump-designation and arrange for them to throw all the trash into an atomsmasher bridge. Don't worry, once your stonecrafters get even better, they'll stop making low quality products altogether, with everything being at least exceptional level (unless they're hungry/thirsty/drowsy).

They'll always make some low quality crafts, regardless of being hungry/thirsty/drowsy. See the crafting statistics in my sig  ;)
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 01:20:27 pm »

They'll always make some low quality crafts, regardless of being hungry/thirsty/drowsy. See the crafting statistics in my sig  ;)
The correction is welcomed. Amend my statement to "pretty much everything".
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Captain Swing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 04:19:39 pm »

Or if you're boring and want a proper economy, there's probably a way to weaponise them. I'm thinking creating a stockpile with some form of trapdoor-floor over a room full of elves and crushing them to death with shiny trinkets. For extra points, one could put an adamantine sword in the middle of the room and have a stab at recreating that bit out of The Deathly Hallows.
Pages: [1] 2