Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarven Crafts  (Read 6331 times)

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Crafts
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2011, 04:42:04 pm »

Use fewer stonecrafters: Just turn off the Stone Crafting labor on all but your best worker(s). Lowers craft production to a more manageable rate, and those dorfs that you do want making *orthoclase crowns* will level up quite a bit faster, nearly removing the "low-quality crafts" problem altogether.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 01:25:42 am »

Or if you're boring and want a proper economy, there's probably a way to weaponise them. I'm thinking creating a stockpile with some form of trapdoor-floor over a room full of elves and crushing them to death with shiny trinkets. For extra points, one could put an adamantine sword in the middle of the room and have a stab at recreating that bit out of The Deathly Hallows.

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. I once tried turning a quantum stockpile full of stone into a makeshift execution mechanism by construction a retractable bridge underneath it with the unlucky dwarf below that. The stone dropped, landed in the same tile as the dwarf, but did absolutely nothing to him.

Captain Swing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 10:30:51 am »

Damn. I was looking forward to that.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2011, 01:57:16 pm »

Or if you're boring and want a proper economy, there's probably a way to weaponise them. I'm thinking creating a stockpile with some form of trapdoor-floor over a room full of elves and crushing them to death with shiny trinkets. For extra points, one could put an adamantine sword in the middle of the room and have a stab at recreating that bit out of The Deathly Hallows.

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. I once tried turning a quantum stockpile full of stone into a makeshift execution mechanism by construction a retractable bridge underneath it with the unlucky dwarf below that. The stone dropped, landed in the same tile as the dwarf, but did absolutely nothing to him.

Try dumping the dwarf onto the crafts.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 01:41:07 am »

I don't do crafts any more. It became too much of a space eater. Pots and some jugs is where it's at, along with totems and decorating things. If i need rapid stonecrafting training and crafts are inevitable..well. I have a volcano disposal unit
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 07:33:26 am »

Precious metal crafts and glass crafts make for good profit, though real profit is had in textiles and food. Eitherway, stonecrafting doesn't exist in my forts except to kick out some pots.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2011, 12:40:17 am »

Eh, it's a good way to get rid of stone you don't want. I'm not a fan of having yellow furniture, so I need to get rid of my tons of orthoclase . . . and crafts are more profitable (and a great deal lighter) than selling tables & chairs.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Shmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2011, 01:29:39 am »

To me offering cheap trash to traders always seemed like the most effective way to "dump" it. If you set up your good crafts stockpile unambiguously closer to the depot than your crappy stockpile, when you trade you can skim the good crafts off the top of the list and trade them for what you want. Afterwards select everything else and bring to to the depot to offer it away. You lose bins, but with traders bringing as much wood as they do that's never been an issue for me, especially if you use rock pots for food storage. You also get the benefit of wondrous trade relations and gargantuan caravans.
S = k*log x(rope reed fiber socks)x

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2011, 02:04:26 am »

I'm another who has ceased doing stonecrafts. I still make rot pots, but I get dorfs who have a high level moodable skill to do so, and don't have them do it for so long that stonecrafting becomes high level. I'd rather keep the mood-pool pure of useless stonecrafters.

Usually I sell the crap used to train up skills like cooking, mechanics or armorsmithing. Or I sell the non-masterwork weapons/armor/shields. Or I sell the crap dropped by goblin/elf invasions... or I just produce something special like a silver corkscrew or native gold statue. There are so many ways to leverage genuinely useful skills for the purpose of buying stuff that stonecrafting just seems like a waste of perfectly useless immigrants.

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2011, 02:22:35 am »

I was lucky enough to get a legendary leatherworker from a mood early in fortress life, and that became my sole trade. One legendary piece of giant earthworm leather armour trades for ~200. Three of these buys about 10 bins of leather. Set the guy on repeat and I never have to worry about trading again. It's also a lot less hassle than managing several workshops or using up metal that could be melted into a bzillion statues of dwarves admiring giant earthworm leather armours. 

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2011, 02:58:37 am »

I was lucky enough to get a legendary leatherworker from a mood early in fortress life, and that became my sole trade. One legendary piece of giant earthworm leather armour trades for ~200. Three of these buys about 10 bins of leather. Set the guy on repeat and I never have to worry about trading again. It's also a lot less hassle than managing several workshops or using up metal that could be melted into a bzillion statues of dwarves admiring giant earthworm leather armours.

Legendary leatherworker
+ Leather armour/R
+ Sew leather image/R
= Profit

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2011, 11:44:12 am »

I've had a fort with legendary leather workers. The problem was my tanners couldn't keep up with 'em, so I had to buy leather off of everything possible.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2011, 12:46:33 pm »

Large serrated steel disk.
Pages: 1 [2]