Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Incredible siege  (Read 4697 times)

alter05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Incredible siege
« on: December 10, 2011, 12:32:17 am »

A dragon has arrived
A vile force of darkness arrived.

Pfeh my magma trap is finally complete ! Time to test it out ! I might even let the dragon and gobos duke it out togeth.... waitaminute are they riding on top of fricking giant bats ?! And they are archers ?!!!

This siege is epic guys, they totally bypassed my ground defenses, came down into the caldera and into my courtyard and are merrily shooting down the elven traders who happened to be there at the same time. This should prove to be very fun indeed, since I have no archers of my own. But frankly, flying goblin archers ? I never saw that one coming ! This game is amazing !

alter05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Incredible siege
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 01:28:02 am »

Unfortunately, a lot of the invaders just stuck in a narrow ledge at the edge of the map. They still took out 20 or so dwarves and the dragon got in by a dry under-construction drowning trap system and managed to... all those poor elves... before being taken out by my military.

Still, now i'll spend a bit more time in SAM towers marksdwarves

Pray_for_Snow

• Bay Watcher
  • MATT DAMON'S TIMECLONE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 01:38:16 am »

What the hell? I think you just broke the game.
This is an Artefact Thread. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with text and images of various dwarves. It menaces with spikes of data.

My X-COM UFO Defense LP. Finals Week Hiatus.

alter05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 01:44:55 am »

I could upload my save if anyone cares for it. My game is heavily modded but i don't think I touched anything regarding bats and goblins.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 03:53:36 am »

Wow, batgoblins.  Who knew?

Forget digging units, Toady should make these more common to spice up sieges.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Jerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 04:21:37 am »

Wow, batgoblins.  Who knew?

Forget digging units, Toady should make these more common to spice up sieges.
You never had sieges where the entire goblin army is on flying mounts? I had 2 already in my current fortress.

The ones with archers on flying mounts are especially deadly, and could wipe out a well-trained army easily if you mis-step.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 07:32:05 am »

I never had flying mounts period.  I half-way thought they were something from 40d
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 09:05:55 am »

Still, now i'll spend a bit more time in SAM towers marksdwarves
Very much this. There's much fun to be had knocking flying creatures out of the sky from several layers up, and this is especially true when they have riders. Let gravity take the strain.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 05:42:13 am »

Try having a tantruming dwarf throw a microline boulder at a flier causing it to plummet to a lulzy end...

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 05:46:00 am »

Try having a tantruming dwarf throw a microline boulder at a flier causing it to plummet to a lulzy end...

Ohh, nice pictures in my head....
Or give him some candy axes and make him an axethrower.
I mean, viking style anyone?
But Marksdwarfes sound totally fine, too.
greetz
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 06:01:54 pm »

It took me a while to sort out what was happening, but I saw one of these sieges with flying mounts once. Curiously flying units seem to be immune to magma. A siege flew down through a filled volcano, through several z-levels of magma and into my forge area through a hole where I was going to put another smelter. I think I had temperature off, but I still WTFed hard.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 02:00:43 pm »

It took me a while to sort out what was happening, but I saw one of these sieges with flying mounts once. Curiously flying units seem to be immune to magma. A siege flew down through a filled volcano, through several z-levels of magma and into my forge area through a hole where I was going to put another smelter. I think I had temperature off, but I still WTFed hard.

Theoretically this could be possible, things that fall through magma do not take any heat damage, fliers might behave in the same way.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 02:14:50 pm »

Is it possible for a rider to dodge off their mount? The only time I've ever fought flying goblins was when my soldiers were great and could 1-hit the petty crapturescreatures

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 03:32:31 pm »

see, this is why a fortress is underground. you force the enemy into a narrow tunnel with a low ceiling, and that means they will be where you can kill them. also, make sure you have a raising bridge to lock the exit when it matters. glass blocks are fantastic for this, as they are already magma-proof (just be careful what mechanism you use).

its a real shame we lack the dungeon master right now, im wondering if he could tame captured goblin mounts? that would be epic in a whole new way. the best current result of a mounted siege is it saves time hunting when you can just pull them off traps, and get all kinds of great tallow from them.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Incredible siege- now with Clowns!
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 04:36:11 pm »

just got hit by a large goblin siege, which was led by a mounted flashing purple & (fiend administrator). while the rest of the siege hit the traps, i sent two squads of 10 to stop the clown. of the 20 i sent, 3 died- 2 from colliding with walls, a third from blood loss. five more were moved to the hospital, one of them missing a foot, another missing his entire left arm. a couple others lost hands.

considering the fact that i still have a shortage of iron, they did fairly well. one squad has been training a while and the other was fairly new. i had to lock some doors so they could catch up to the invader before it reached the main stairs. they had a long and vicious fight, even severing the hand of the invader- a noseless armadillo twisted into the shape of a man, beware its fire.

without a doubt, this was the most epic siege that i have seen. its certainly the first time that my traps have been completely useless. i look forward to the future engravings in this fort. it does make the mayors demand for 2 adamantium seem more reasonable...