Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WebOS goes open source  (Read 1142 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
WebOS goes open source
« on: December 10, 2011, 12:32:52 pm »

In case you hadn't heard, HP announced on Friday that its webOS platform for mobile phones and tablet PCs is going open source.

On the one hand, it's yet another loss of revenue for HP, the end result of a string of WTF executive decisions that cost them about $1.3 billion.

On the other hand, it's a boon to homebrew tinkerers. Coupled with all those cheap-ass HP TouchPads that made their way onto eBay (there's another batch going on sale very soon), I expect some Linux-saavy folks to come up with some intriguing functionality for TouchPads and Palm Pre's.
Also, dare I hope, but we might see a lot of indie game ports to webOS now?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: WebOS goes open source
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 01:23:34 pm »

That was a pretty serious WTF moment for me. Keeping posted to watch.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 01:40:01 pm »

I'm really curious how this is going to play out. Is it going to fork, and you'll wind up with half a dozen flavors out there, or will it do some sort of weird synthesis with Android and spawn a hybrid of the two, or will it just wither and die? I think the apps will continue to flow, and probably even easier now that developers have access to the full code of the OS. But the actual evolution of the OS is what's fuzzy. Also wondering if it's going to gain in street cred now as an open-source alternative for people who fear and loathe both Apple and Google.

Does this make me an instant hipster because I was using webOS before it was cool?  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 03:21:52 pm »

It's not hipster to like something before it's cool. It's hipster to feel superior for your ability to do so on a regular basis. Hipster is an attitude.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 08:11:27 pm »

The press release of WebOS going open source stated that they were going to keep active in the development of WebOS to prevent forks. So, there's that info for you.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 08:26:00 pm »

How's that supposed to stop forks? You can still fork the code if they're still actively developing it...
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 09:47:00 pm »

Yeah, I know, but apparently they're going to try to herd cats for a while or something. I'm only relaying what little information I can.