Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [SPOILERS] Of Subterranean "Candy" and Stupidity  (Read 1276 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
[SPOILERS] Of Subterranean "Candy" and Stupidity
« on: December 11, 2011, 08:43:43 am »

What draws you into this mythical, yet relatively common mineral found near the lakes of brimstone and fire? I mean, sure, adamantine is tough stuff, and one-ups all of your weaponry, barring the blunt types. But the risk is also high, since you risk opening up the carnival and sending all of the clowns your way.

Steel is good enough as it is, since most societies by default get materials only up to bronze and iron quality, and having a full steel set pretty much ensures your safety against goblin attacks (assuming you get the jump on them first), and puts you on top of the food chain.

Is it because of the adamantine itself, and it's properties? Is it because your resources are dwindling, and materials for siege-suitable weaponry is scarce? Or is it because of what lies within, and whatever challenge getting into the carnival entails?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 08:53:22 pm by New Guy »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
Re: Of Adamantine and Stupidity
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 09:12:58 am »

Because I'm too lazy to figure out how to make steel.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 10:41:49 am »

What noodle said.

Mind putting a [SPOILER] in the title?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 11:10:40 am »

I've only found it once, and that was completely by accident. I only plan to start mining it once my fortress militia has finished the transition from iron to steel.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 11:33:16 am »

I use it for bladed weapons because it's by far the best material for the job, but for armour steel and skill is enough for anything. If steel won't protect you, adamantine won't either.

I guess I could go and mine more in an effort to get all-masterwork weaponry, but one piece per military dwarf is enough. Since the game doesn't currently pay attention to what the raws say about the number of required materials for armour and weapons (adamantine breastplates should take 9 wafers, but this has been broken since the switch from 40d) I could go nuts, but ehh.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 12:06:39 pm »

I usually just stay with steel. I am perfectly okay with dedicating 25% of my population to pumping out literally thousands of steel bars and having another 50% move all the coal, ore, fuel, bars, and gear around.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 05:58:24 pm »

Adamantine armor tends to let blunt weapons through more than steel in my experience, but there's basically no chance of losing your limbs(Except to scourges/whips. but hey, those are lightsabers).
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 07:26:01 pm »

Simple, because there is no kill like overkill. :P
That said though, I rarely even bother grabbing the addy. Strand extraction takes forever, and I now have to keep my dorfs from using it for inane purposes. I mean like, why go for the super-rare addy strings when you could just as well suture those wounds with fuggin pig tail fibres?
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 08:21:57 pm »

addy is more dwarfy,can you just build a stock pile and have dwarf reclame the addy from the unwothy.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
Re: [SPOILERS] Of Subterranean "Candy" and Stupidity
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 01:24:55 am »

I have a nasty habit of never having enough fuel, so when I go for the candy, it tends to be out of desperation for a material I won't have to put as much coal into as steel.

Edit:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 01:26:38 am by Deimos56 »
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 01:57:06 am »

It's actually surprisingly easy, once you've figured out what you're doing, to avoid digging anywhere you shouldn't. If a tile is surrounded on three sides by non-blue rock, its safe. If the tiles directly above it and its neighbors are safe, then it is safe (unless you are on the highest level of the shaft). If you've already worked out where the 4x4 shaft is on that z-level, everywhere else is safe. It gets to be kind of like minesweeper.

In any case, a miner can move fast enough that, assuming they don't do something stupid like go get a drink, you can get them to block off any accidental piercings of the shaft with a wall before anything dangerous happens. But where's the fun in that?
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

Shmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 06:01:39 am »

Although I shouldn't be saying this as one of my more recent forts was lost to a careless mining designation, I find getting the stuff is fairly safe. My biggest consideration with getting it is the FPS loss associated with getting to it. Once there, though, it's easy to see what bits could cause trouble and work around them, and you get enough workable stuff that way for weapons, if not armour.
S = k*log x(rope reed fiber socks)x

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 06:54:25 am »

About time I actually posted something here, my reason for grabbing the subterranean candy.

Being the completionist that I am, and being tempted to colonize the carnival at every new fortress, I just can't resist breaching it and making a ton of candy equips along the way.

Unfortunately, I usually die by the lag breaching into it causes and it forces me to quit.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 07:03:05 am »

Blades and a hammer is really all you need candy for.

Unless your nobles demand that you make candy toys for them, but I'm sure that they'll be just as happy with a load of magma.

Jerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 03:30:51 pm »

Because it's abundant as hell if you excavate it carefully; I have 3 veins on my embark site, and after mining them all I have around 200 raw ores and a few dozen wafers (still being processed); it's a nonstop and virtually unlimited source of the best material for building most military-related things. I build everything else (blunt weapons / bolts etc) out of silver which is also insanely abundant.
Pages: [1] 2