Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Development question...? Fortress vs. Adventure  (Read 749 times)

Myrmec

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing the [z]tock market
    • View Profile
Development question...? Fortress vs. Adventure
« on: December 15, 2011, 03:47:59 pm »

Please keep in mind I am NOT COMPLAINING.  This game is free and I've spent a gazillion hours playing it.  I'm simply curious.

I've been visiting the main DF page every now and then for the past several months and I can't help but notice that a lot of time is being spent on Adventure mode, expanding features and all kinds of stuff.  I've tried playing Adventure mode a few times and it seems way more confusing to me than Fortress mode, and pointless, so I don't really bother.  The fact that there are 6x more threads on this forum for Fortress mode than Adventure mode leads me to believe that most people feel the same.

So I was just wondering if anybody knows why on earth Tarn is hustling so hard on that mode, instead of streamlining the Fortress side.  Do you think he just enjoys it more?  Change of pace?  Again, I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering why.  As far as I'm concerned Toady can do whatever the hell he wants.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Re: Development question...? Fortress vs. Adventure
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 04:00:08 pm »

Tarn isn't working on "Adventure Mode" or "Fortress Mode". He's working on Dwarf Fortress. The final plan is for all the different game modes to work together; the features he's working on right now just happen to be more observable in Adventure Mode. When he starts working on the latter half of this arc, the new features (like local economies) will affect Fortress Mode a lot more.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 05:16:37 pm »

Adventure mode has been pretty much barren for quite some time, so there is less interest in adventure mode, hence there are fewer posts about it, thus there is need to improve it.

Also, despite being separate, the modes do inform each other, and several things cross over or influence the other mode(s). Several of the tangential developments for adventure mode (such as most new night creatures) impact fortress mode in some way (in that they attack or infiltrate the fortress). As such, there often is less a case of working on a single mode than it might seem at first glance, as Gatleos said.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 05:43:53 pm »

The trade stuff ties also into Fortmode which means what you get offered from the Caravans is more reasonable and selling out Merchandise like chert-earings will not as valueableas thy used to be. Well apart from that i imagine old Temples and stuff will be hidden fun stuff on which could embark but i am not sure.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Lecithin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 01:43:09 am »

Also, when you think about, Toady basically worked almost exclusively on Fortress Mode for the previous 4 years or so, so I think the recent Adventure Mode focus is entirely warranted.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 04:07:56 am »

"Adventure mode doesn't seem to have a lot going on for it" is exactly the reason one might justifiably lavish some attention on it.  But yes, as stated above, many of the improvements effect the game as a whole.