Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Farming analysis  (Read 23809 times)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Farming analysis
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 12:59:11 pm »

I heard it was x2+1 for fertilized fields...

Maybe I'm doing it wrong... what is the difference between (f)ertilize and (s)easonal fertilize?

Seasonal is fertilizing every season, fertilize is just for this season, IIRC ( at least that was my experience ). It don't affect the outcome variance, as far as I can tell, unless your plant's growth time's long enough to go into the next season. I haven't experiment with it much outside of checking that 4x claim  :D

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 01:02:32 pm »

2x+1 suggests that stack sizes larger than 10 are possible but has anyone actually seen this in play? I haven't...

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 01:04:18 pm »

11 was always the number I heard for max plump helmet stack, which would seem to be the 2x+1.  I've never actually tried it out though, someone go science real quick :)
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 03:03:02 am »

I'm going to shamelessly bump this, as I've been thinking about very similar calculations and this seems to be the most informative topic on food growing :)

Legendary plus planters will get crop of [5] almost always.
Has anyone else been !!testing!! this? Because my results are a bit different :(

Based on my observations, my suspicion is that Farming works similarly to crafting professions, in that the stack size is treated like quality of an item. A tile of a farming plot produces a stack of 5 pretty much as often as other crafters produce masterful crafts.

Stacks of 5 are actually very rare, unless you produce so much food that they seem like a lot. I find that on average, every farm tile produces a stack of 3 plants.

That's with a Legendary+5 Grower, with no fertilizing. Any thoughts?
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 04:25:57 am »

Hmm. And I thought farming in the latest versions was easy...
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 05:00:13 am »

'Tis a great day for dwarven agricultural science!

But what about the above-ground crops?

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2011, 01:47:11 pm »

After extensive testing, I am convinced that legendary grower AND potash fertilizer are both necessary if you want average stack size of 5+

murlocdummy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2011, 09:06:23 pm »

I've read that rock nuts are eaten raw by your dwarves.  Is there any way to stop them from doing this?  My quarry bush farms keep running out shortly after buying rock nuts from merchants due to my dwarves eating them all before they're planted.  If I forbid the rock nuts, then I'm afraid that they won't plant them, thus defeating the purpose.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2011, 09:04:26 am »

I can't wait till I see the reaction of Root finding the cavern crops.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2011, 07:37:40 pm »

I've read that rock nuts are eaten raw by your dwarves.  Is there any way to stop them from doing this?  My quarry bush farms keep running out shortly after buying rock nuts from merchants due to my dwarves eating them all before they're planted.  If I forbid the rock nuts, then I'm afraid that they won't plant them, thus defeating the purpose.
Try making meals out of your other food items (turn off cooking the rock nuts, of course). Value, I think, plays a role in what food the dwarf chooses to eat. Even if his favorite food is rock nuts, he might just choose the ☼Dragon Meat Roast☼ instead.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2011, 01:34:07 pm »

Dwarves will only eat the rock nuts if they are starving and there is no other food... Make sure 1) you have food and all your dwarves can get to it (burrows, locked doors, etc); 2) do you maybe have a bunch of unprocessed quarry bushes in your stockpile?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2011, 08:18:30 am »

After testing stack sizes, I got the following statistics:

Legendary+5 Farmer
no fertilizing

Stack Size     Chance
-     -
-     -
-     -
6:     0.8%
5:     5%
4:     21.6%
3:     41.2%
2:     22%
1:     5%

Average stack size: 3.1 plants
          Legendary+5 Farmer
seasonal fertilizing

Stack Size     Chance
9:     0.9%
8:     3.3%
7:     8%
6:     21.8%
5:     28.9%
4:     20.8%
3:     12.3%
2:     3.7%
-     -

Average stack size: 4.94 plants

I guess I'll throw in some numbers for lower skill levels as well.

Dabbling (0) Farmer
no fertilizing

Stack Size     Chance
-     -
-     -
-     -
-     -
-     -
-     -
-     -
2:     0.5%
1:     99%

Average stack size: 1 plants
          Accomplished (10) Farmer
no fertilizing

Stack Size     Chance
-     -
-     -
-     -
-     -
5:     3%
4:     13%
3:     30%
2:     38%
1:     16%

Average stack size: 2.5 plants

I also wanted to know how many farmers do we really need. It turns out that a Legendary+5 farmer is enough for about 30 plot tiles, for fast-growing plants (about 60 tiles for slow-growing plants). An Accomplished(10) farmer is enough for about 25 fast-growing plot tiles. A Dabbling farmer is enough for about 14 fast-growing plot tiles. That's the amount of tiles they can plant before the already planted crops mature and get harvested.

I also did some attribute testing, but I don't see any impact on stack sizes. Dwarves with higher attributes plant stuff faster, but there seems to be no benefit beyond that.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 08:26:06 am by Blue_Dwarf »

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Dwarfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2011, 06:19:11 pm »

How many dimple cups can be grown in one season?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2011, 12:43:04 pm »

How many dimple cups can be grown in one season?

Now that's an interesting existential question  :D

Assuming we have lots and lots of Legendary farmers, and we are limited by 200 seeds...

A season is 100800 steps, and each farmer will need about 110 steps to plant a seed (we'll ignore hauling time).

200*110=22000 steps to plant all seeds. Assuming we have 200 Farmers all rushing to plant Dimple Cups as if there were unclaimed pigtail socks scattered all over the farm plots, we get 22000 + 50000 = 72000 steps for the whole batch of seeds.

That doesn't leave us time to plant a second batch, since the season will change. So we have 200 stacks, giving about 577-600 Dimple Cups with no fertilizing. Around 1000 with fertilizing.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2011, 02:24:47 pm »

I just wanted to say I grew my first-ever quarry bush [9] (0.9% probability) thanks to this guide. Quarry bush leaves [45] became the main ingredient in a masterwork roast worth over 40,000. Thank you thank you thank you! I will never "welcome room" a potash maker ever again. ;)
Pages: 1 [2]