Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Of Fun and Magma  (Read 2617 times)

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
Of Fun and Magma
« on: December 11, 2011, 08:45:35 pm »

I have been warned of the denizens of magma and the magma sea, however I am wondering if they also will pop out the top of a volcano should I set up near one.
So will they destroy me?

Edit: It would also seem I just struck adamantine one z-level down.  Not bad...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 08:49:39 pm by WolfeyS »
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
Re: Of Fun and Magma
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 08:51:47 pm »

You should be totally fine
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Stoutpants

• Bay Watcher
  • Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
    • View Profile
    • Drunk Fortress!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 09:29:32 pm »

You should be totally fine

He pretty much sums it up.
Follow my Drunk Fortress here!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 09:59:26 pm »

I've only ever seen magma crabs, which (unless you mine out a large chunk of the magma sea's "ceiling" can't even see you to spit basalt, even if they are aggressive).
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 10:20:06 pm »

I haven't personally seen a fire imp since 40d. But back in the day, they were a force to be reckoned with, if you had exposed magma and a grassy biome. So many map-engulfing, frame-rate-obliterating wildfires…

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 10:40:38 pm »

I'm working on a project to bring water up from the cavern layers so I can flood a caldera !!RAPIDLY!! in times of need... but to be honest I have no idea if that will work or even if it's necessary. All I know is that it will be epic one way or the other.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 11:18:46 pm »

I've had a trio of (modded-in) magma wyrms chillin' about 10 squares from my forges for about 6 years now. So far, the worst they've done is make me slightly nervous.

I'm pretty sure pathing for swimming critters is borked, though I'm far too lazy to find and link to the relevant Mantis report.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

VladHatter

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 02:45:52 am »

Speaking of magma, one of my genius dwarves decided to jump down a volcano and helped me in my quest to discover native adamantite!   I was the happiest Omnipotent deity for the moment. 

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 02:52:11 am »

I'm working on a project to bring water up from the cavern layers so I can flood a caldera !!RAPIDLY!! in times of need... but to be honest I have no idea if that will work or even if it's necessary. All I know is that it will be epic one way or the other.

I have not tried this but logic suggests to me that the Obsidian will probably form and cave in, perhaps revealing addy and the magma sea. I suppose if you were careful about it you could ensure that only connected squares would form Obsidian.

I remember fireimps. I like volcanoes. So do fire imps. I do not like fire imps.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 10:55:31 am »

Speaking of magma, one of my genius dwarves decided to jump down a volcano and helped me in my quest to discover native adamantite!   I was the happiest Omnipotent deity for the moment.

It is standard procedure to chuck a pack animal down the volcano on embark.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 11:06:16 am »

I have not tried this but logic suggests to me that the Obsidian will probably form and cave in, perhaps revealing addy and the magma sea. I suppose if you were careful about it you could ensure that only connected squares would form Obsidian.

I remember fireimps. I like volcanoes. So do fire imps. I do not like fire imps.

The cave-ins are part of the plan. If I dump water on the center of a volcano then it should become a gatling obsidian cannon. I'll test it on some unsuspecting magma crabs first but I strongly suspect this will either crash my computer or allow me to machinegun hell to death with a volcano.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 02:23:43 pm »

The cave-ins are part of the plan. If I dump water on the center of a volcano then it should become a gatling obsidian cannon. I'll test it on some unsuspecting magma crabs first but I strongly suspect this will either crash my computer or allow me to machinegun hell to death with a volcano.

You should make a lake on top of the volcanoe... Just saying.