Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fort maintenance  (Read 7332 times)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Fort maintenance
« on: December 12, 2011, 05:13:39 am »

(this might be part of turn-off thread, but it is not turn-off or ranty enough i guess)

One of issues I have with long running forts is that eventually everything devolves to maintenance.

I start with zero skill / zero item embark, setting up vital industries is challenge. Uncovering underground is interesting. Booting non-esential industries and setting army is good pass-time.

After that comes luxury phase where one can focus on building aspect game and go lego. Give each dwarf room with masterwork bed.

But after that, it kinda dies and game quickly descends to "another year, nothing new" of requeueing production orders for booze, food and nonessentials (mill stuff, make soap, produce thread, whatever...), siege cleanups and trading for steel. Sometimes you have to draft few dwarves to replace losses or handle child becoming adult. Or handle nobles (yay, my duke wants 68th traction bench).

Each year you get enough steel for one more suit of armor and with 278 dwarves that is 278 years of looking forward for dwarven caravan.

You do some megaconstruction in meantime, but it feels different than stuff like defensive walls and surface barracks.

Now, that is not bad as it can be relaxing. On the other hand this is worst outcome of playing fort: FPS death is regretfull, FUN death is memorable. This undeath is a bit depressing.

---

Oh well, triggering loyalty cascade sounds like fun since majority of dwarves have masterwork steel weapons and rest have masterwork silver blunt weaponry :-) Die, dwarven merchants, die!.

Any thoughs on other solutions than mass slaughter or making magma-drooling statues of insane dwarf?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Fort maintenance
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 05:33:05 am »

Create a small splinter fort with your next wave of migrants, then forget about your main fort until it dies? Then you can experience the joy of starting all over again. As many times as you wish.
*Hugs*

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 05:44:08 am »

Opened the circus yet?

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 06:02:24 am »

Fortress Defense mod + all military defense - traps and drawbridges = massive flaming balls of ‼FUN‼

I have lost so many forts to sieges. I love trying to build the best defenses and set up the best army. It always always fails, but I know I can do better next time. FD can get ridiculous though. I often have 3 or 4 sieges at once, along with a few goblin ambushes. But at least my forts don't become boring paradises with only a siege every two years...

As for your current fort, you could always visit the circus. Loyalty cascade seems more fun though.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 08:13:32 am »

Sadly, no circus or cotton on map (it is challenge zero-metal map).

tj333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 09:48:07 am »

Try some fo the mods? It change up game play abit so you get some time learning how things work again but in the long run does not solve the problem.

I found using the seasonal crop mod gave me a couple of fortresses of extra challenge before I adjusted to it.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 12:26:45 pm »

Get Fortress Defense or Genesis, then start a new game. It's pretty much guaranteed you'll be in deep shit eventually with either of those mods, especially considering how early Genesis werewolves attack.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 12:48:20 pm »

If you get bored then just start building more and more ambitious defences around your fort. Mine started with just a door and a cage trap, then I built a pyramid with a spiral dodgeme trap (in conjunction with a BC in a spike pit...) then I built a fully towered and crenellated wall around the pyramid, then a dry ditch around the wall, and now I'm planning to turn most of the map into a lake with the fort in the middle and a seperate (large) tower connected by bridges as the gatehouse...

And yet somehow with all this my defences against anything underground consist of... nothing at all except my military. FUN is still on the horizon!
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 09:16:03 am »

Where's the fluff? You need background, or context of some kind. Otherwise, it's just a bunch of letters and punctuation dancing around. Kinda like what you're reading now. 

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 10:09:18 am »

a fortress needs to be more than mere survival- you need to keep expanding. keep building. Add in a dwarfwash, build a magma-based weapon, build something that inspires awe. perhaps build a giant castle, its size limited only by the map-edge. build a Temple of Armok. the 'outside world' is a wonderful place to export hot magma to, after all.

also- speaking from experience, rooms placed inside a tower made from gold bars will be royal rooms.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 07:57:43 am »

Well, mods do not really interest me because they still do not solve long term boredom, they do ramp up difficulty and callenge in early-to-mature fort.

But, here is my planned loyalty cascade: http://youtu.be/ISBJdpXdwG8?hd=1

From 300 to 30 in few minutes. Only one child survived. Brothers killing brothers. Fort full of rotting dwarf chunks.