Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engravable constructed walls/blocks/bricks  (Read 5544 times)

Pootis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Engravable constructed walls/blocks/bricks
« on: July 14, 2014, 04:25:08 pm »

Would it be possible to easily mod the ability to either engrave constructed (block) walls/floors, or engrave the blocks and then build with them (netting the same effect), or a combination of the two?
Not being able to engrave constructed walls is a bit limiting for us fans of above-ground forts.
Yeah, I could (and do) use ropes as tapestries but that's a PITA compared to engraving.
If this is possible to easily do via raw editing, I might as well make proper tapestries while I'm at it since sewing images onto ropes seems... odd.

BONUS: Engravable logs/wood blocks = totem poles.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 05:29:32 pm by Pootis »

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
Re: Engravable constructed walls/blocks/bricks
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 04:28:38 pm »

not possible in the base game, but it might be possible with a DFHack plugin.

dudlol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 05:54:15 pm »

You could mod in a 1st workshop that uses a bolt of cloth to deal with tapestries?

Then the same but requiring some 'engraved block' type item. It would be more difficult though, you'd need to make a reaction to engrave a block, make an item, and make the workshop.

If I had my computer now I'd give it a try. Make them require architecture to build and you might even get a second quality modifier out of that.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 04:07:02 am »

Even with DFHack, engraving blocks and other basic building materials (boulders, logs, and bars) isn't possible.  They don't have a variable for improvements of any kind.

Not sure if engravings can exist in tiles without something to hold them, but it might be possible, through DFHack, to reclassify constructed walls as natural smooth walls.  Then you could engrave them.  It would be a lot of work though, and because of the way natural rock is handled it would be a bit messy, you wouldn't be able to have natural walls of a material not normally found in their layer.

Alternatively, you could have a plugin that would spawn natural obsidian walls in the space of a particular workshop.  Then you could make natural, smoothable and engravable obsidian walls.  Actually, this might be possible without DFHack if you make a reaction that spawns water and magma at the same time.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 05:17:27 am »

If you're just going to use dfhack you may as well just spawn a block of obsidian and carve into it :P

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 10:29:49 am »

Not sure if engravings can exist in tiles without something to hold them, but it might be possible, through DFHack, to reclassify constructed walls as natural smooth walls.  Then you could engrave them.  It would be a lot of work though, and because of the way natural rock is handled it would be a bit messy, you wouldn't be able to have natural walls of a material not normally found in their layer.
Engravings are separate objects in memory ("detail events") which can be placed on top of any type of tile. Even back in 40d, it was possible to make "engraved grass" simply by engraving a smooth stone tile and then turning it into grass.

Making an engraved construction can be done with DFHack using several methods:
1. Engrave a nearby smooth floor, then move the engraving onto the desired construction.
2. Turn the constructed wall into a natural wall (by editing the tile type), smooth it, then change the tile type back.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Pootis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 11:04:06 am »

Even with DFHack, engraving blocks and other basic building materials (boulders, logs, and bars) isn't possible.  They don't have a variable for improvements of any kind.

That's a shame! Thanks for all the replies guys.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 03:25:29 am »

That's a shame! Thanks for all the replies guys.
Read one post above yours, it is possible...

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 03:53:17 am »

But not in that really cool and neat way where you could straight up build walls from images that you find pleasing.

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
  • I have no idea what I am doing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 09:05:29 am »

do it the old-fashioned dorfy way...build a giant cast-mold with water and magma pumps spiraling around it!  Blocks are for sissies!

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 09:50:03 am »

2. Turn the constructed wall into a natural wall (by editing the tile type), smooth it, then change the tile type back.

Would it be possible to make a script to turn all constructed blocks into natural formation to remove the number of items in the fort? Advanced forts sometimes have thousands or even tens of thousands of rock blocks that are used up in various constructions. If these could be deleted and the constructions replaced with natural walls, floors, stairs and ramps, that would be awesome. Being able to engrave them would be even more awesome.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 11:24:34 am »

I don't think a non-DFHack workshop could cast obsidian since the water needs to fall into the magma.  With DFHack, you can use autoSyndrome to call a DFHack script that could place an actual obsidian wall somewhere.  I imagine it would be a one-tile workshop with four reactions to place the obsidian one tile away in one of the cardinal directions.  Some water and magma as reagents would be nice but not mandatory.  Once the obsidian is in place, deconstruct the workshop and set it up elsewhere.

The thing is, there's no particular reason to limit this to obsidian.  Just require a boulder and some concrete ingredients as reagents, then the workshop could cast a "natural" wall of any given material.  This is costlier than standard wall construction, but it allows for engraving.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 12:11:26 pm »

I don't think a non-DFHack workshop could cast obsidian since the water needs to fall into the magma.  With DFHack, you can use autoSyndrome to call a DFHack script that could place an actual obsidian wall somewhere.  I imagine it would be a one-tile workshop with four reactions to place the obsidian one tile away in one of the cardinal directions.  Some water and magma as reagents would be nice but not mandatory.  Once the obsidian is in place, deconstruct the workshop and set it up elsewhere.

The thing is, there's no particular reason to limit this to obsidian.  Just require a boulder and some concrete ingredients as reagents, then the workshop could cast a "natural" wall of any given material.  This is costlier than standard wall construction, but it allows for engraving.
... Or you could use dfhack's liquids command and spawn a tile of obsisian at the highlighted tile :)

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 12:48:49 pm »

You could mod in a 1st workshop that uses a bolt of cloth to deal with tapestries?

That's a neat idea. The tapestry could then to further decorated with other materials. If it's possible to then build the tapestry on a constructed/smoothed wall in order to change the wall to something that has the functionality of an engraved wall (i.e. it's a blocking tile with a floor on the higher z-level and it has a high value) that would be really quite nice. Much better than hacked obsidian, IMO.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 05:22:00 pm »

do it the old-fashioned dorfy way...build a giant cast-mold with water and magma pumps spiraling around it!  Blocks are for sissies!
also you can have then steel bars inside the wallfor more safety of the walls. bit like ferroconcrete irl
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime