Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: X Universe  (Read 44516 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
X Universe
« on: December 13, 2011, 05:40:50 pm »

Some of you will be aware of the X Universe, I know. Some of you will not.

I wish to introduce you to the X Universe because it's one of the most long running games I've ever played. Longer than DF, actually... That's because it currently consists of 5 games, with another 2 on the way!
It's a space game centered around flying around, trading, fighting, exploring, building factories, etc.
The developers are really awesome and friendly, and after announcing their upcoming next game, X: Rebirth, they then announced X3: Albion Prelude... to be release about a week later. (On Thursday)
That's how awesome they are... ;)

Egosoft, the developer

Trailer for Albion Prelude
Trailer for Rebirth, showing the SHINY NEW ENGINE *droool*

X: Beyond The Frontier
X: Tension
X2: The Threat
X3: Reunion
X3: Terran Conflict
X3: Albion Prelude (Thursday!)
X: Rebirth (Next year?)

The games revolve around a universe around 900 years into the future, if I remember correctly, and center around the clash of races and struggle against warring AI which were unleashed on the world by humanity.
I can't really explain it all here. Only that it's a damn good series.

Oh, and it's sometimes criticised for its harsh learning curve... but this is the DF forums!
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X Universe
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 05:45:19 pm »

Yeah, I was slightly knocked for 6 when I found out about Albion Prelude, I have no idea where they found the time to pull a whole new game out of nowhere! The whole series is pretty awesome though, and the community is perhaps the best on the internet - not that I'm biased at all!! :)
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 05:47:35 pm »

X3: Reunion - Boss!  I played this shit out of this game for MONTHS!
X3: Terran Conflict - Worst waste of money, namely because I can't play the damn thing!  Whatever they changed to the graphics engine puts it above my capacity, and without a real way to bottom out graphics the game is unplayable.  I simply can't aim through the lag and can't damage anything with shields.
Anything upcoming - I'm skeptical at best.  I've never seen a company go reverse in its graphics so I'm willing to bet that anything new will be even further beyond my reach.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 06:59:09 pm »

I bought these games. I never learned how to play...

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 07:01:34 pm »

They're much more simple than they seem. At least X3:TC is.

One of the best games I currently own in my opinion.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 07:31:33 pm »

Albion Prelude is more or less an expansion...if you look at the site it says

"For owners of the X Superbox, X3: Albion Prelude will be available as a free download on Steam, while for owners of X3: Terran Conflict it will be available at the 'add-on' price of €9.99. For players new to the series, X3: Terran Conflict and X3: Albion Prelude will be available for purchase as a bundle. Time your purchase right and you could enjoy substantial discounts in the Steam holiday sale too!"

sacasoh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 07:32:57 pm »

X3 is like a Age of Pirates / City of Abandoned Ships in space...  3 excelent games (awesome mods for all of them).

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 09:37:19 pm »

Kinda BS giving steam super box owners special treatment like that. I own every X game that exists, I just bought them all separately in physical boxes.

There is never any love for early adopters.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 11:40:43 pm »

i might want to try X3:TC out again because when i played, i just couldnt see why people liked this so much. The missions and story seemed pretty boring, and the sandbox side of things seems a bit like Eve Online, without the online.
I got nothing

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 03:46:12 am »

I have clocked over 150 hours of X3:TC on Steam, which means I've clocked at least double that for X3:Reunion... I'm very much looking forward to a new expansion and the inevitable awesome mods that will follow.

I hope they continued to improve the UI.  TC was a big improvement over Reunion once I got used to it again, although it looks like they're starting to run out of buttons. The X-Tended mod for X3:TC had so many new features I couldn't find enough sensible buttons to assign them all to.
Also, I hope they'll let us cap more Kha'ak ships, I want to cap them all!

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 04:54:23 am »

The first X-game I played was X2: The Threat

Man that game sucked my soul in. There were times when I let the game run overnight without intervention to let my Solar Power Plants and Universal Trader to make credits. My main fleet consisted of (at least) Argon Colossus, Boron M2, and Split Raptor, each with their own compliment of M3s. My personal ship, though, was a Split Elephant.

Too bad when X3: Reunion came out, my (already old) computer had not enough juice to run it.

I still think that was one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had. I am really looking forward to X: Rebirth.

Anyway, I bought X: Superbox for the sake of it a few months ago. Installing X3: Terran Conflict as we speak. :)
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 10:49:54 am »

Kinda BS giving steam super box owners special treatment like that. I own every X game that exists, I just bought them all separately in physical boxes.

There is never any love for early adopters.

Not really. "This box contains the complete X series."

With any other company you'd be paying more for the next one they release. With lovely Egosoft, they weren't lying. Ok, you won't get Rebirth free, but that's a new series in my opinion. It's going to be so different.

This thread wasn't just to bring attention to AP anyway but to the whole series.

X3: Reunion - Boss!  I played this shit out of this game for MONTHS!
X3: Terran Conflict - Worst waste of money, namely because I can't play the damn thing!  Whatever they changed to the graphics engine puts it above my capacity, and without a real way to bottom out graphics the game is unplayable.  I simply can't aim through the lag and can't damage anything with shields.
Anything upcoming - I'm skeptical at best.  I've never seen a company go reverse in its graphics so I'm willing to bet that anything new will be even further beyond my reach.

Not really the developer's fault though is it... ;)
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 08:10:43 pm »

Apparently Albion Prelude is now available in the Steam store. I guess technically, it is the 15th in Egosoft time.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 08:21:58 pm »

Apparently Albion Prelude is now available in the Steam store. I guess technically, it is the 15th in Egosoft time.

It might be for sale but it's not in my library.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 11:07:51 pm »

wish i could get it... i asked them to refund me stronghold 3, the list of disapointment is just too big to say it here.... i do have a terraria as gift if somebody wants to trade just in case eh.... cost nothing to ask. I remember playing X3 reunion and TC was a modder back in the time of reunion rewrote a salvage script with automate drone and wrecks ( Not abandoned ship but actual wrecks ).

If some of you got the game give your impression i wanna hear it!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17