Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17

Author Topic: X Universe  (Read 44517 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: X Universe
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2011, 10:08:03 am »

Man, I know how I get sucked into these things, and I really don't feel like putting hundreds of hours into a single-player, no interaction game. How grindy is it, really? Like, play for months on end before being able to buy the really big ships and all that?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2011, 10:11:29 am »

<- Waiting for Rebirth personally

mostlikely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2011, 10:27:46 am »

Man, I know how I get sucked into these things, and I really don't feel like putting hundreds of hours into a single-player, no interaction game. How grindy is it, really? Like, play for months on end before being able to buy the really big ships and all that?

Short answer:
Not 'that' grindy.

Long answer:
Assuming:
-The really big ship is the biggest in game (M1, price about 100 million).
-You only want one and focus on this goal.
-You don't want to use mods or cheats.
-You don't want to use slightly unbalanced game mechanics to earn money (Taxi missions, Stock exchange)
-You are willing to use seta (accelerates time by up to 10x, normally not considered an unbalanced game mechanic)
-You know what you are doing.
-You start from scratch with 'humble merchant'.

I'd guesstimate about 20 hours.
But some of the real pro's might be able to correct me on that.

LostEnder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2011, 12:01:32 pm »

Actually the fastest way to upship is piracy, in my experience.  You can do whatever start, but I know assassin starts with a decent combat ship, and I'd assume the new Argon war storyline does also.  After that it's just a matter of trying your luck (or using saves/salvage insurance) to pick off a couple 10k+ cargo freighters to get a nice starting bankroll, and then pirating up to get a M7M, training marines, then jacking that M1 or whatever really.

I'd recommend this guide if one wanted to pursue this type of gameplay.  Also, it's important to move around or run some remote trading to keep the various police forces off your back somewhat.  Hard to steal stuff when the whole sector is shooting at you.

I've never pirated all the way to m1, but it could feasibly beat that 20 hour time.  For a new player though, I really can't recommend this method since it does take a significant amount of knowledge about the game to pull off. Mostlikely's trader route is much safer and beginner friendly.  Also, the trader route would be much more capable of actually supporting that M1 as far as loadout and ammunition.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2011, 12:34:54 pm »

Like dwarf fortress, the stage where you are still learning all the game's features takes a very large amount of time and is arguably the most fun.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2011, 10:29:08 am »

Training up marines to be able to jack into ATF or Xenon ships takes a while.  3 star in all stats can reliably take out any commonwealth capital ship assuming it has no defense mods (hull platting, security lasers, or firewall) installed.  Jacking capital ships from the Yaki and Duke's Domain is actually the easiest way to obtain Incendiary Bomb Launchers (IBL) without pissing off the major races. 

The nividium mining exploit was fixed, but there are a few ways to exploit the stock market for lots of money in a short amount of time.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2011, 09:11:22 am »

Does anyone have some good suggestions for a fancy playership?

Right now I'm cruising around in either the Nova Prototype or Centaur given to me by the main plot.  I've set up a simple space fuel complex in an unknown sector and launched a fleet of sector/universe traders so money is just a matter of time.
I was considering to save up for the OTAS Skiron, but I also hear Springblossoms and Spitfyres are favourites. (Although a lot harder to get)
In Terran Conflict I used to zoom around in my Vidar, but I have no clue how to get one in Albion Prelude.

TL;DR: Tell me which ship you fly in, which weapons you use and why you like it.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2011, 09:22:09 am »

I typically liked my Cerberus as my general workhorse. It's not the strongest M7 by far but it accomplished most of what I put in front of it. Hangar for support fighters or a personal fighter, enough firepower to handle most ships, and fast enough so a cross-sector trudge isn't unbearable. Argon ship for an Argon pilot.

Though if I actually need to dock with stations for my mission-doing, I use my Chokaro TM. Good for pretty much every mission sans TP and tough combat missions. Fast too.

Though, these are all X3:TC. I'm sure things would be different for me based on availability and tastes, and there's new ships to put into the equation too.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2011, 02:23:12 pm »

Oh hai steam sale

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2011, 03:56:30 pm »

Popular fighters include the Mamba Raider for it's speed.  The Spytfire is faster and better shielded, but can only use USC weapons.

For Corvettes it is the Springblossom (aka the Cheatblossom) or the Hyperion Vanguard.  The Hyperion is not a production vessel so either cap one or complete the mini-plot for the poisoned paranid start.

M7s have the Tiger (fast), Panther(mini carrier), Agamemnon (phased shockwave generator but not a production ship), and the Shrike (slow, but can have gauss cannons). 
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2011, 04:47:43 pm »

Good grief, I don't know if I'll resist this sale... should I get the superbox or just the X3 things?

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2012, 07:28:40 am »

Not sure if anyone knows about this little trick, but I just figured out how to run the game in SETA while having it in background mode at the same time.

Basically, all you have to do is play the game on Steam and assign the same shortcut you use to open the Steam overlay to the SETA function.  Usually this will be Shift+Tab.  It's probably best to leave the regular 'J' shortcut in place.  Usually SETA exits whenever any key or key combination is pressed, but this doesn't count if that very keypress is the one activating SETA. ;)

Now your ship will go in SETA mode as soon as you switch to the Steam overlay and stay there while you chat to your Steam buddies and use the Steam browser thingy.  You can even tab out and just use your regular browser if you prefer, or just do whatever.
To enter the Steam overlay without turning on SETA, just activate SETA briefly before opening the Steam overlay.

SETA will of course still exit as soon as you dock at a station, cross a gate or decorate the surface of a nearby asteroid.

Now we can all watch our favourite manly cartoon shows while letting our trading ships work for us. Profitsss!

On a side note: A pretty decent update for both Albion Prelude and Terran Conflict has been released, fixing some bugs, rebalancing ships and missions, optimizing stuff and making all music tracks actually play. I love the music. A larger update with more content is said to arrive within a few weeks, possibly the next parts of the Albion plot and the HUB and Player Headquarters.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2012, 11:22:25 am »

Not sure if anyone knows about this little trick, but I just figured out how to run the game in SETA while having it in background mode at the same time.

Basically, all you have to do is play the game on Steam and assign the same shortcut you use to open the Steam overlay to the SETA function.  Usually this will be Shift+Tab.  It's probably best to leave the regular 'J' shortcut in place.  Usually SETA exits whenever any key or key combination is pressed, but this doesn't count if that very keypress is the one activating SETA. ;)

Now your ship will go in SETA mode as soon as you switch to the Steam overlay and stay there while you chat to your Steam buddies and use the Steam browser thingy.  You can even tab out and just use your regular browser if you prefer, or just do whatever.
To enter the Steam overlay without turning on SETA, just activate SETA briefly before opening the Steam overlay.

SETA will of course still exit as soon as you dock at a station, cross a gate or decorate the surface of a nearby asteroid.

Now we can all watch our favourite manly cartoon shows while letting our trading ships work for us. Profitsss!

On a side note: A pretty decent update for both Albion Prelude and Terran Conflict has been released, fixing some bugs, rebalancing ships and missions, optimizing stuff and making all music tracks actually play. I love the music. A larger update with more content is said to arrive within a few weeks, possibly the next parts of the Albion plot and the HUB and Player Headquarters.

SETA?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seta
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 12:25:22 pm by ductape »
I got nothing

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2012, 11:39:38 am »

SEATA?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seta

I think in game it stands for Singularity Enhanced Time Acceleration.  Or something like that.  Basically it makes the game run at 6x speed.(This can be changed higher I believe)
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2012, 04:45:44 am »

I think in game it stands for Singularity Enhanced Time Acceleration.  Or something like that.  Basically it makes the game run at 6x speed.(This can be changed higher I believe)

Up to x10 (which is the first option I change and wish it went higher, traveling in slow ships is dull :()
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17