Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Parallel Universe embarks!  (Read 10683 times)

jarodw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Parallel Universe embarks!
« on: December 15, 2011, 09:10:43 pm »

So not long ago I started watching a youtube series by Nagidal146...  he aslo started streaming DF!  he had be familliar with my own LP and tutorials for DF and we got into a discussion which led to the idea of running a sort of parallel universe LP of DF... we both started generating world after world checking them over, and seeing the types of embark locations we could try..  I ended up generating a Large world with 250 years history and everything else was default!  it had the perfect spot, a haunted, active volcano!  I shared the world with Nagidal and we made the plan to make dual LP's of the same embark, not so much a competition as a showcase on how differently people play DF.

Well we started posting our video's and would like to invite everyone to come and share our journey's... and it has grown so far beyond just the 2 of us, one other person has joined in TheZemalf has also started the same embark as well as others I may not be aware of (which btw if you know of anyone using the same world please let me know so I can update this post!).  the sudden popularity gave me the idea to extend this to the rest of the DF community!  why not show people how robust DF can be... DL the world we are playing in, embark in the same location as us, and share with us, your Embark Configuration (what skills and items you use) and then later in the history of the fort, give us an explanation of your fortress (pics are welcome) and show how well it has come along...  no prizes or anything like that! just a way to see how differently everyone plays the game!

With no further explanation here are the players so far that are documenting this embark

Myself-        http://www.youtube.com/user/Djrodw
Nagidal-       http://www.youtube.com/user/Nagidal146
The Zemalf-  http://www.youtube.com/user/TheZemalf
HienArashi-   http://www.youtube.com/user/HienArashi
Ayoriceball-  http://www.youtube.com/user/ayoriceball

these are the ones I know of, there may be more so keep on the look out for more! and if you decide to join in, please make video's, or just post here with your progress!  its simply interesting to see the different approaches everyone has with the game, and I think if everyone starts on the same footing, the differences will become much more apparent... plus we all might learn a thing or 2!

here is the world for you, and a map of the location of the embark area (the area is a 5x5 area so make sure your PC can handle it, also it is a region 6 world so dont overwrite anything important!)

map (twitter picture link) http://twitpic.com/7o4vv3
World Download - http://www.mediafire.com/?g78ic1yvtop08vr

just to clarify... if you would like to join in on this experiment, just give us an explanation of what skills and items you are embarking with... and later in the history of the fort, show us a good example of the design and efficiency of your fort!  explanations are welcome, pictures are welcome,  you can show us here in the post or make video's... its up to you! and have fun with it! 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 07:11:17 am by jarodw »

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Parallel Universe embarks!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 01:55:13 pm »

This is a wonderful idea; Just have to see whether i can handle a 6*6 Embark.

Hien Arashi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 08:57:18 am »

I've also started a parallel embark, the playlist link is here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1DE9E0CAAA022D71

Hien Arashi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 05:30:50 am »

"Found" someone else doing a parallel-world as well :)
ayoriceball
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG5TnYqqNfk

found, as in, saw nagi's vlog and found out about it ;)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 10:07:06 am »

This is neat idea!

I would modify rules a bit thou: "splintering" of paralel worlds happens after embark - just so that first seven are same people in all the worlds whose fates can then be compared. Late joiners might get someone elses world in progress to branch from.

If you want to compare playstyles simply make embark generic (no skills, axe/anvil/pick)

Anyway, I shall take part of this too :-)

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 10:14:22 am »

Nice, I will try it.

Too bad I can't make videos.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 10:30:53 am by Davichococat »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 07:05:07 pm »

Hm, this would be a cool community fortress idea. Get a pair of parallel fortresses, organize some mysterious plot parallels and stuff, maybe some architectural mirroring too.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 09:47:17 pm »

Hm, this would be a cool community fortress idea. Get a pair of parallel fortresses, organize some mysterious plot parallels and stuff, maybe some architectural mirroring too.

Now that's an idea. You could have one good player that tries to please the dwarves as much as possible and one evil player that tries to kill as many dwarves in as many gruesome ways as possible while still maintaining an active fortress.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

jarodw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 04:39:44 pm »

so far really nice ideas...  I suppose I could at some point back up my save files, and upload it so someone else can take over... but I have already started the embark so it wouldn't make any sense to start over!  but if some of you might like that idea let me know and I will do it!

Nice, I will try it.
Too bad I can't make videos.

No problem here really just take some screenshots and update us here...  myself and Nagidal will both list you anyways! 

zelpao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 11:50:06 pm »

Well, I started the parallel embark so far, and a year has blown by extremely fast.I tried to make a video (and failed horribly at speaking clearly), so I'll illustrate with the help of screenshots.  Sorry if the images are too large though.

Usually, when I start, I ALWAYS stick with this sort of scheme (omit the sword and war dogs, I didn't want to lose that early)
Also not shown, I brought 2 hens and a rooster to start breeding early.

As for the dwarfish skills:

This is also my generic setup.  I had my mechanic be a stonecrafter, but the next migrant wave had a better one, so now its a full mechanic.

For my Building Location as of the end of Year 251:

I generally like to stick near trees early for wood, so I started a small fortress housing just outside of the haunted zone.

As for whats underneath:

Each one is 1 z-level lower than the one on top.
Going from the top to the bottom, we have the General Quarters for farming and temporary storage with army barracks as well as a hospital.
The one underneath is Peasant Quarters for everyone but the nobles.
The one beneath the Bed Area will be the Crafting Quarters, for all the crafting needs (until I hit lava of course).
And then last level is the Noble's Rooms. The large room in the top left will be the noble's burial chamber.

And for my Year 1 ending stocks:

I'm very surprised that I don't have too many migrants so far (usually I get roughly the same number of embark settlers).  But for now, I'm still hopeful to get more later (if there will be any more).

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 03:14:39 am »

posting to watch, but I may just have to join in on this once I have a bit more free time for DF. Been meaning to get back into it....
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 04:21:10 am »

Here is my parallel fortress:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-10946-containedoars

Currently at ~ 198 dwarves, still catching up to insane migrant waves.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 04:55:11 pm »

Oh man... oh man. This looks like a really neat embark, I think I'm going to join in too once I get home today. I think I'll do what it looks like other people are doing and do an embark recording then little yearly ones for updates. I typically do minimal embarks and I'm thinking I'll either do just dwarves or dwarves and animals (no skills or items) for this one, so it should be fun.

What do you guys use to record video? Got my livestream set up to record video to my computer, and I'm starting now. I'll post again when I have video links!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 11:01:26 am by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 07:54:02 pm »

Ok, so double post (ish... the next day) with actual content! I recorded the entirety of my first year and a bit on livestream here: http://www.livestream.com/robinsnest

It's about three hours, but you can probably just watch the first 10 minutes or so and the last 20 minutes of the first video if you just want setup and end of the first year. I ended up doing an embark with peasants with no skills, two dogs, two peacocks, and a little bit of wood because the first time I embarked I didn't get a wagon so I had to restart. I hopefully explain most of the rest of what I did and the resolution of the video seems to actually be pretty good. I think I'm going to stream whenever I'm doing this fort so I can have video of basically the whole thing, so follow my stream thread if you want notifications of when I'm streaming!
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 10:02:28 pm »

I'm giving this one a go as well. Thanks for the embark!
Pages: [1] 2