Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Parallel Universe embarks!  (Read 10684 times)

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Parallel Universe embarks!
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 07:29:45 pm »

-  Ok, got around to embarking, decided to take:
one Novice Doctor, two Competent Miners, one Adequate Mason/Ambusher, one Adequate Brewer/cook, one Competent Grower with a minor in Herbalism, and a Novice Broker/Manager/Record Keeper.

This being an Evil Biome, I decided to give everyone a rank of Dodger and Fighter. I expect to regret this.

-   Items!
Seeds favor Plump Helmets, 6 dogs (one male) and the usual starting array, couple picks and axes, an anvil, 60 booze, pig tail fiber stuff, 30 meat, 15 shrooms, and a bit light on quivers, splits and crutches.
Named the group "Doom the Infinite Treaties"
The fortress is named "Luckyfortunes of Guarding".

I shall strike the earth in my next edit.

- Day One:
Funky Tileset. Tried to remove it, and now when I open the save it comes up with FATAL ERROR: Missing Reaction Definition.

Well, this is not what I expected. I fiddle with it some more, unbreak it, but the strange umlauted e's and double crossed y's are once again infecting my viewscreen. I like the default character setup for DF, and relearning all my rock types is.... I can't play this save until I can see properly.

- Day Two:  I decided to go ahead, it's just the rock types messed up. I go and find a nice little hill to put my stuff on, drill down with my usual Staircase setup, eight around an engraved pillar.

And then jink to the side a bit down so that I can have my first trap hallway. Still need a mechanic to set stuff up, and more rooms to move in properly.

Two migrant waves later, I have 17 dorfs and a cozy little anthill. My doctor is doing engraving in his spare time, I'm building a short trap corridor to protect me from the outside, and gradually working to starting up my metal industry. Just in time for the elven caravans.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 12:24:32 am by O11O1 »
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 07:33:06 pm »

Well, this is not what I expected. I fiddle with it some more, unbreak it, but the strange umlauted e's and double crossed y's are once again infecting my viewscreen. I like the default character setup for DF, and relearning all my rock types is.... I can't play this save until I can see properly.

Like you, I'm used to the default ASCII, and this world looks very wrong with that setup. I downloaded and installed the Lazy Newb pack with the Phoebus graphics set just for this embark, and that works well. My only issue is that I was under 100 FPS when I first struck the earth, which doesn't bode well. Not sure if that's a function of the graphics or of the large embark size.

I don't know if there's a way to tweak Lazy Newb to switch from Phoebus graphics to ASCII and handle the character conversions for you. It does appear to support switching between graphics sets, but reversion to straight ASCII isn't clear to me.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 05:14:00 am »

I've had a pretty trouble-free build. I'm taking over the beehive next to the magma and I've had some goblins and a skeletal cow to deal with but nothing else.

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 06:18:27 pm »

- Day 3
Again fairly free of trouble, just had a gobbo or two run into my spike traps, pass out, and then get stabbed by my milita. I get my metal industry working, start putting out some copper and gold stuff, mostly bins and a very barebones military equipment, just breastplates and a few swords. I plan to rely on my traps. First Strange Mood puts out a millstone, I set up a windmill.

Then I drill down. Just straight down. Puncture three cavern layers very close together, hit water at 2, and magma at 3.

I also hit the light blue metal, a small capstone of a pillar there. First time I've ever gotten it in a game. I plan to tap it tomorrow.

Livestreams of the fort:
Start:
http://www.livestream.com/o11o1/video?clipId=pla_3869e777-5064-44fa-8e9b-14434cea8c0f&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb

Day 2:
http://www.livestream.com/o11o1/video?clipId=pla_5a0c9a09-5c5c-4d55-a794-513d8b72dfa9&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb

Day 3
http://www.livestream.com/o11o1/video?clipId=pla_1d0b94f9-6e55-41fe-b4c0-29896aa0c719&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 05:38:45 pm »

Phantommountains, first year:

Embarked with lost peasants scenario: 7 unskilled dwarfs and their empty wagon pulled by two horses.

(I had to regenerate the world to fix the tileset back to the default one. Also, 3x3 embark because my old rig can't handle anything larger.)

When the dwarven caravan arrived at autumn, they found a colony of 17 dwarves locked inside a cramped wooden house, a small farm outside guarded by zombie yaks, surrounded by rotting corpses of livestock and poultry.

A woodcutter migrant had brought a silver battle axe with him, and a brave volunteer (i.e. a peasant migrant) was chosen to wield it and charge the undead bovines when the caravan got close enough. She got a broken foot in the process and the caravan guards finished off the zombies. Traded all the wooden crafts and some barrels of biscuits for a pick, an anvil, some plump helmets and then some thread and cloth for the injured militia commander.

The rest of the first year was quiet. All the trees have been cut down. The only miner is digging rooms underground. The militia commander was hospitalized for a month, got evaluated 14 times by an unskilled doctor and had to use a crutch for a while, but she's alive and doing combat drills.

Plans for year 2:
- metal industry
- a surprise for the elves, if they show up

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 12:25:05 am »

Phantommountains, second year:

The year started with a short visit from the local kobold tribe, followed by a bunch of capybaras scaring everybody. After the chief medical dwarf got bitten by one, the militia commander went out to deal with them. He managed to kill one capybara, getting a few bruises in the process. Then he went for another, ...and dodged straight into a murky pool. He got badly mauled by the big rodent while struggling to keep his head above the water level.

Obviously that didn't end up well. The edges of the pools will be channeled to prevent this happening again.

The elves showed up, as expected. The preparations for them were not complete and the front door had to be locked for a few days while the trading depot was moved to a better location. In the valley between the haunted mountains. With all the ramps removed. And all ends of the valley walled up. Then we seized most of their goods.

There wasn't much time to move the goods inside the fortress. The elves tried to escape, but the door leading to the valley was quickly locked.

While the second part of the plan was still being constructed, the elves wandered aimlessly inside the walls, and finally started to show signs of insanity. Meanwhile, the drowned militia commander came back as a ghost.

Finally, the preparations were completed and the floodgate was opened! This pipe is a few z-levels above the trading depot.

However, the elves had wandered off at the end of the valley, and filling the valley with magma took a while. The insane elves started burning just when the human caravan arrived, late at summer.

A small design flaw allowed the fire to spread into the surrounding grassland. Oops.

Luckily the humans got inside before the fire caught them. Later, the burnt remains of a kobold thief and a goblin snatcher were found nearby.

Trading with humans went well. The jeweler was able to decorate some of the stolen elven crafts with gems and the humans exchanged them to food, seeds and booze. The dwarven caravan brought us everything we ordererd last autumn: seeds, metal bars, cats, dogs, turkeys and alpacas. Egg and wool production will be starting soon. Also, one of the cages seized from the elves had a tame vulture in it. Unfortunately the vulture has no mate, and her eggs will be unfertilized.

A few kobold thieves and goblin snatchers have been spotted, and they will start coming in bigger numbers. There's also been some undead activity in the haunted mountains, the dwarven liaison was harassed by undead goats. We started building a wall around the fort and placed some traps in strategic points. Below the surface the two miners have been digging rooms for stockpiles, living quarters and catacombs. The murky pool was drained, the militia commander's corpse retrieved and buried properly.

The fortress didn't get any migrants this year (the civ is alive, I think). However, two babies were born (both for the same mother, she's been busy) and there were two weddings, so more babies should appear in the future.

Plans for the next year:
- Cavern expedition
- Building upwards
- Burning elves

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 05:29:48 am »

Hello boys and girls (-: I've also proceeded with my embark now. A short video summary is here.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 04:45:24 am »

Another session played. (youtube video summary)

We had to replan our well because we've found another part of the cavern right where we wanted it. Then a goblin snatcher was sighted by our training dwarves in the barracks. She could flee before we sealed off the fortress to keep her inside (the dwarves never pull the lever soon enough). Then some fun has happened: a legendary Minotaur came. He has already killed one dwarf some 100 years ago. This time or lever-pullers were quick enough and the only way to our fortress lead through a corridor full of cage traps. Now we have a legendary minotaur caged in our animal stockpile. We will probably make him fight our goblin prisoner once we have some. Should be fun to watch.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 04:47:18 am »

btw, shouldn't this be moved into community games and stories?

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2012, 03:06:03 am »

Since there is new an incompatible version, I have retired 31.25 a with it, this paralel embark.

Last image is here: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-11082-containedoars

Poits of interest:

L98: Inside source of sand
L96, 97: Housing
L95: Heavy labor production, gemsetting, weapon and armor stockpiles.
L94: Barracks, metalworks (and smelting), bedrooms, training workshops.
L93: Trade depot, wells, housing. Poorly planned attempt at making prison cell.
L92: Hospital, Dining room, food and crafts production.
L91: Noble housing, etretaiment areas, artifact storage
L90: Prison
L89: Burial area.

I never got around to open caverns or mine adamantine.

---

So, do we do another embark in current version?

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2012, 01:21:07 am »

Yes, we will do a Parallel Univers embark once the new version has gone through the hot bugfixing phase. Currently, military cannot be eqipped without hacks.
Pages: 1 [2]