Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A Newbie's newb fortress  (Read 2274 times)

booogers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Newbie's newb fortress
« on: December 16, 2011, 03:53:09 pm »

Hello everyone! I just recently got into Dwarf Fortress, it is a lot of fun! Anywho, there are some things going on in my fort and I need some advice.

There's a crap load of fungus growing on the first floor of my fortress. I decided that I'd let my animals graze where the fungus is, and it occurred to me that I could perhaps have my animals permanently graze inside my fortress via fungus/moss. Is this viable? Is it also viable to raise horses for meat?  :P

My miners have discovered huge underground caverns! Woo! I'm sort of concerned though; I think I'll probably run into scary creatures soon... Should I put in measures that allow me to seal off the entrance into the deep caverns, just in case scary things come up to kill my dwarves?

My last fortress started to fall apart because my dwarves started dying of thirst. Do they need water or can booze be their only source of liquid? Furthermore, I tried something on my last fortress. I built my fortress near a river, and during wintertime the river froze over. I came up with an idea to make a floodgate right next to the frozen water and dig out a bunch of pathways for the water to flow. When winter is over, I can open the floodgates and have irrigation water for my farms. Is it possible to build a well just above a redirected brook/river, or will the water just flow out of the well and flood everything?  :-\

Lastly, I want to tame these badger boars to become my war boars. How do I do that?! I've caught rats, but I haven't managed to catch badger boars.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: A Newbie's newb fortress
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 03:58:49 pm »

1. Horses make lovely meat sources.
2. If in doubt, Dorf it. Raisable bridges, magma, military you name it, it's better to have it and not need it then to not have it and obtain !FUN!
3. Booze can be their only water source, but it pays to have a water source (hospitalised dwarves only drink water), and is an emergency resort in the advent of a plump helmetocalypse.
4. I'd need to see your well design before I could tell if it'd flood your fort :P
5. Badgers are unfortunately not trainable. Use cage traps if you honestly want some, but I can tell you the dangers of accidentally releasing 3 hordes of giant badgers inside your fort....

booogers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 04:13:28 pm »

1. So I could have the horses graze inside my fort, feeding on fungus/moss, and have a meat industry?  :o

2. Will do, I've recently discovered the joys of drawbridges so that sounds great. Maybe I'll raise the drawbridge while one of the dwarves are still on it and have him fall down into the deep, dark recesses of the underground cavern...

3. Okay good, I'll just have to make sure my plump helmet supply is adequate for my fort!

4. Is there a way post a design on here without a screenshot? I abandoned the fort with the floodgates  :'(

5. That makes me sad. I guess I'll just settle for war dogs :(

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 04:20:09 pm »

You can still TAME badgers.. but aye you can't train them into war/hunting badgers.  Also, badger boars are simply male badgers, they have nothing to do with boars :P
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 04:23:28 pm »

1. So I could have the horses graze inside my fort, feeding on fungus/moss, and have a meat industry?  :o

2. Will do, I've recently discovered the joys of drawbridges so that sounds great. Maybe I'll raise the drawbridge while one of the dwarves are still on it and have him fall down into the deep, dark recesses of the underground cavern...

3. Okay good, I'll just have to make sure my plump helmet supply is adequate for my fort!

4. Is there a way post a design on here without a screenshot? I abandoned the fort with the floodgates  :'(

5. That makes me sad. I guess I'll just settle for war dogs :(

1. Yes :D

2. If it was a raisable bridge, I think the Dwarf would be more worried about flying than falling... :D

3. Plump helmets taking over your pots and barrels is a plump helmetocalypse D:

4. I suppose you could use
Code: [Select]
Yo blueprints in hereaaaaa
5. You can still use wild badgers :D

Or tame ones.

Wild ones more fun.

booogers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 04:40:10 pm »

I think I had something similar to a plump helmetocalypse, is it the same thing as when plump helmet spawns are growing on your tables, chairs, and whatnot? XD

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 04:45:47 pm »

1. You can def. have underground farms--I almost only use these.  As long as you aren't planting on rock you can grow crops on anything without getting water involved.  If you are using rocks, do get them wet--this makes them muddy and ripe for planting.

2. Drop a kitten into a pit (designate pit using i-menu, as a zone) dwarves get smushed by drawbridges.

3.  Booze works, as said by others.  Trick to wells that is often forgotten is that you can build a well any distance above clean water,  So if you have a cavern with a lake, a well build 30 floors up, in the floor above the ceiling of the cavern will function perfectly.

4, tinypic for screenshots

5. You can train badgers, but due to the dungeon master being disable at the moment, you have to manually (or via mod) change their [PET_EXOTIC] tag to simply [PET]

More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 04:46:07 pm »

I think I had something similar to a plump helmetocalypse, is it the same thing as when plump helmet spawns are growing on your tables, chairs, and whatnot? XD

And your Dwarves refuse to brew booze.

THE BOOZE IS GONE D:

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 05:20:52 pm »

This thread will get awesome soon I think.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 05:36:50 pm »

Cave moss inside your fort and grass growing outside are functionally identical as a food source for your horses and other herbivores. Considering how later on you will have nasty people coming at you from above, it is not only viable but indeed advisable that you graze your animals safe inside with the cave moss. You could of course build a large pen outside with a roof to house your animals in safety, but that requires some materials and dwarfpower. Easier to just dig out some dirt for starters.

To avoid thirst problems, be sure to have a farm plot growing a boozable plant year round. Plump helmets are a good beginner crop. It is also advisable to have a stonecrafter making stonepots (acting as booze containers) so that your brewer won't stop brewing because of lack of containers.

Wiki is a good fast reference guide for your everyday dwarf fortressy needs. Not that the forum isn't happy to help with whatever questions you may have.

5. You can train badgers, but due to the dungeon master being disable at the moment, you have to manually (or via mod) change their [PET_EXOTIC] tag to simply [PET]

The mod, kindly provided.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 06:48:57 pm »

First, nobody gives better advice than B12 forum-goers. If we all urge you strongly to do something, stop thinking! Just do it! ;D

Yes, your animals can graze on fungus. If you put them in too small a space, though, they'll start fighting each other... And you'll probably get some severed legs somewhere along the line. :)

Water is ONLY necessary for dwarves who are sick! Healthy dwarves are dwarves that drink an F-ton of a beer. Start a brewery, get a carpenter's workshop and make some barrels, and farm plump helmets like Armok is after ya. Also, you only need to flood the place once, as far as I know - farms just need mud. Water provides that on the first flooding. And to build a well... just build on open space, over a body of water (doesn't matter how many z-levels above it you are).

And the last one is easily answered. Without reading through, I bet everyone else would give you the exact same answer I would.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 07:57:36 pm »

Hello everyone! I just recently got into Dwarf Fortress, it is a lot of fun! Anywho, there are some things going on in my fort and I need some advice.

There's a crap load of fungus growing on the first floor of my fortress. I decided that I'd let my animals graze where the fungus is, and it occurred to me that I could perhaps have my animals permanently graze inside my fortress via fungus/moss. Is this viable? Is it also viable to raise horses for meat?  :P
Floor fungus is good times indeed.  Also note that shrubs will grow, which can harvested just like aboveground ones(but give underground plants, naturally) and that big mushrooms will grow that can be cut down like trees and used for wood.

My miners have discovered huge underground caverns! Woo! I'm sort of concerned though; I think I'll probably run into scary creatures soon... Should I put in measures that allow me to seal off the entrance into the deep caverns, just in case scary things come up to kill my dwarves?
And this is why the floor fungus is growing.  It starts when caverns are breached.  But yeah, lots of scary things can come up from the depths, so defend the entrance well.  A few traps and a drawbridge should suffice.

My last fortress started to fall apart because my dwarves started dying of thirst. Do they need water or can booze be their only source of liquid? Furthermore, I tried something on my last fortress. I built my fortress near a river, and during wintertime the river froze over. I came up with an idea to make a floodgate right next to the frozen water and dig out a bunch of pathways for the water to flow. When winter is over, I can open the floodgates and have irrigation water for my farms. Is it possible to build a well just above a redirected brook/river, or will the water just flow out of the well and flood everything?  :-\
Remember, you don't have to wait for the river to freeze.  Simply dig out the channels and add floodgates(I prefer drawbridges, myself, as they are not vulnerable to building destroyers) and save digging the square that lets the water in for last.  It is also quite possible to build a well from a redirected river, but be careful of water pressure.  Avoid its dangers by including a diagonal turn in the channel, on the bottom level.

Lastly, I want to tame these badger boars to become my war boars. How do I do that?! I've caught rats, but I haven't managed to catch badger boars.
You'll have to edit some raws for that.  Go into the DF folder and find the raws>objects folder, and open "creature_large_temperate".  Find the badger entry and replace the [PET_EXOTIC] tag with [PET] to make them tameable.  Add [TRAINABLE] to allow you to train them as War Badgers.  Be aware that this will require you to create a new world before it takes effect.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

booogers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 08:05:50 pm »

To avoid thirst problems, be sure to have a farm plot growing a boozable plant year round. Plump helmets are a good beginner crop. It is also advisable to have a stonecrafter making stonepots (acting as booze containers) so that your brewer won't stop brewing because of lack of containers.

Wiki is a good fast reference guide for your everyday dwarf fortressy needs. Not that the forum isn't happy to help with whatever questions you may have.

The mod, kindly provided.

Ah, I guess it's time to make some stone pots! Also, now I understand what the whole "exotic pet" thing is about in the Lazy newb pack. X
And your Dwarves refuse to brew booze.

THE BOOZE IS GONE D:

Ah, that's why they started dying of thirst... :'(
Stonepots helps prevent plump helmetocalpyse?!

Remember, you don't have to wait for the river to freeze.  Simply dig out the channels and add floodgates(I prefer drawbridges, myself, as they are not vulnerable to building destroyers) and save digging the square that lets the water in for last.  It is also quite possible to build a well from a redirected river, but be careful of water pressure.  Avoid its dangers by including a diagonal turn in the channel, on the bottom level.
So, I'm not sure if I understand this correctly (I looked up pressure on the dwarf fortress wiki), but adding diagonal turns mitigates the pressure problem but still lets the water flow. Is this correct? That way, I can have wells ready to be used without the risk of extreme pressure flooding my fortress!?

booogers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 08:15:05 pm »

Also, I thought this was funny:

If you look closely, there's a scary face. I guess there's something really scary down in those underground caverns...

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 08:27:28 pm »

So, I'm not sure if I understand this correctly (I looked up pressure on the dwarf fortress wiki), but adding diagonal turns mitigates the pressure problem but still lets the water flow. Is this correct? That way, I can have wells ready to be used without the risk of extreme pressure flooding my fortress!?
Yes.  Without a diagonal, the water will simply flow up until it reaches the level of the river(ie, everything will flood).  With such a turn the water will flow in, but pressure is reset to the level of the diagonal.  So, if you have the diagonal at the bottom level, only one level will fill up and there shall be no flooding.  If you'd like, I can fire up DF and take some screens of my well.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.
Pages: [1] 2