Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Catchclasps: Fire and Rotting Flesh (The "Test Everything" Fort)  (Read 16808 times)

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Catchclasps: Fire and Rotting Flesh (The "Test Everything" Fort)
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 12:48:36 am »

WHY ARE ALL THE DWARVES CHICKS

I'll wait for the first migrant wave to claim

There's good selection of males for ya now. you got Fath K, the gemsetter. There's Rigoth K, the stonecrafter. Finally, there's Meng M, the doctor.
lood luck! and choose... wisely. :D

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 01:34:29 am »

I'll take Meng

Eh saves victimspatients and doesn't afraid of platypus's's's
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2011, 02:28:32 am »

I'll take Meng

Eh saves victimspatients and doesn't afraid of platypus's's's

You're certainly right about the victims! He has almost no experience, but he professes that he is a diagnostician. I'll still make him head medical dwarf, and see where that leads us if our planned raid of the surface for wood leaves a bloodied dwarf or two. In fact, I'll have him do all the medical stuff, until specialized medics arrive. But he won't ever be replaced as a diagnostician! Hurrah!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 11:55:41 pm »

So now that you have a few bodies to work with, and some resources, what will the first test be?  Or will you wait until you have a more secure hold in the place? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 12:30:11 am »

So now that you have a few bodies to work with, and some resources, what will the first test be?  Or will you wait until you have a more secure hold in the place?

The VERY next challenge, for the next post or two, will probably be primarily securing the surface build site with walls. Its going to be a pain, with all the "Urist cancels build wall, interrupted by zombie fly" spam.

I'll probably simultaneously try to seek out magma and get some forges running, too. Since I have all the ores needed for bronze...

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 01:28:11 am »

BACK TO THE SURFACE

I switched the graphics a bit, because I felt that circles would be annoying with the elongated graphics. So now it'll be the graphics you get when you go full screen in vanilla. I also kinda like the smileys having beards.

You can see how much better a circle looks in the squared vanilla graphics:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You'll also notice that the FPS is at 50. I set it there because I'm temporarily using a somewhat fragile computer, and a crash during play would drive my over the edge.

Ok. to start. We decided that since the zombies were mostly aquatic, and since the land ones were just tiny monkeys (slow moving, and a single elder soap-maker could have crushed one with her pinky), we should begin surface activity.

First, we assigned all of the migrants to cut the trees in a circular section. The miners all were assigned to picking up logs for the storerooms.

A zombie gibbon interrupted for a bit, but the Angelic Lanterns (as the starting seven were now called) intervened, and Urvad dusted away two zombie gibbons with a few punches.

Meng, while chopping at an old stump rutted in the earth, cried out:

"I gave you my name as Meng last night. But forever more call me Lordraymond! This place has changed me!"

No one questioned him, though in the old mountainhomes he would have been marked as an eccentric. The peculiar name changes were beginning to seem natural. Likely many more will meet the creature above the spire before the the monument touches the sky.

That was another odd thing left unquestioned. It seems natural to make a monument depicting that divine inspiration which had struck every one of the 14. At first it was merely a thing of sketches and conversation. Now we felt obliged to dig a circular pit to fit the thing of their dreams.

Maybe this was just something we could do to quiet the screaming ghosts in their skulls.

By the 23rd of limestone, the second layer of the thing was being dug. The non-miners continued filling the wood stockpiles.

It occurred to us that there may be a way to keep down the interruptions from the undead. The miners ceased their work on the second layer to dig out a steep grade around the hill. There was one section where the miners didn't dare approach a cliff overhanging zombie infested waters, and an alternate point of incline had to be dug out, but for the most part this project was without incident.

They left three routes up the hill. Later these could be guarded with a gate.

By the time mid-Autumn was approaching, a second wave of migrants arrived. There were seven in total, and one, Athel I, brought a bronze pick. He dropped this the first zombie gibbon he saw, and ran screaming. The gibbon guarded the pick until the Angelic Lanterns crushed it, and the pick was recovered.

When the migrants got to our quaint little commune, they introduced themselves. Asmel Z was a bowyer, Athel I a miner, Bembul I a fisherdwarf, Iden T a shearer, Kubuk O a child, Libash U a cook, and Morul M a gem cutter (the first jeweler to arrive)

MIGRANT LIST:

Raptorfang started behaving somewhat oddly after he saw the gibbon guarding the bronze pick. On the 19th of sandstone, shortly after the migrants had arrived, he went back to that same spot to contemplate what he had seen. Something about the gibbon had touched him.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 01:31:05 am by Cellmonk »

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2011, 08:28:11 pm »

it seems that everything is going nicely,
most of the zombies blocked, the pillar megaproject starting,
for the piercing hell thing, you could use fortifications, as far as I can tell, they were safe on my past
mining projects.
what if you carve founder floors (assuming you will make something to remember the founders) using things that catter to their personality?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 07:21:25 pm by raptorfangamer »
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2011, 08:31:48 pm »

what if you carve founder floors (assuming you will make something to remember the founders) using things that catter to their personality?

Urist McDifficult likes crystal glass, slade, and griffon bones. If possible, he prefers to consume forgotten beast mead.

"There are now 6 founders. Yes, six."
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 11:49:24 pm by DS »
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2011, 05:32:46 pm »

it seems that everything is going nicely,
most of the zombies blocked, the pillar megaproject starting,
for the piercing hell thing, you could use fortifications, as far as I can tell, they were safe on my past
mining projects.

DOES ACTUALLY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Here's the vein-digger design (!!SPOILER!!)

Simple explanation:

This all relies on cave-ins not revealing the place they fall, so I need to find that out. I don't !!think!! rock has eyes, but I may be wrong.

I think I'll call this invention:

(The Dwarven Styrofoam(TM) Compactor)(TM)

if anyone has a better name for it, please speak up.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 06:23:43 pm by Cellmonk »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2011, 05:53:04 pm »

Zaled EturSobir - Noiseless BoulderRelease.

Dwarf Irony is best Irony.

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2011, 07:18:58 pm »

Dwarf Irony is best Irony.

"they said it would be silent to sleep here"
*sees how boulders fall*
Rocks fall, everyone dies...

btw, I always forgot to
gotta fix that
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2011, 01:33:24 am »

Dwarf Ironygoblinity is best Ironygoblinity.

fix't it for ya

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2011, 01:53:05 am »

I call Bembul.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2011, 09:38:54 pm »

It is the 13th of Opal, and the bleak whistling of cold winds fill our hairy ears. It is mid winter. the mood is somber

the past few months have been uneventful. No one died, no goblins attacked. the caravan that came through came through only briefly and traded but one leather bin and a few chunks of glass and iron for a measly few crafts we scrapped together. We have dug deeper. the great shaft has hit bedrock. soon we shall excavate stone from the pit, and begin building upward.

Here you can see the liaison falling, after the miner he was conversing with removed the soil beneath his feet:

The pit now, damp and cold, and just above stone:

Defenses are also better. all of the entrances are covered in microcline bridges connecting up to the gatehouse (with three levers). A lone pet chicken has been conscripted to guard the entrance which shall be left open, in the north.

There were two unusual events though:

1) The fisherdwarf Bembul Isonasmel decided to change his name to Mapleguy after dreaming of the being above the spire. He has since been fishing in dangerous places, occasionally fleeing from savage zombies.

Most recently, he has been soaking his beard in the northern river.

2)THE FIRST LEGENDARY ARTIFACT HAS BEEN CREATED
by Fath, the gemsetter. He took two moss opals and one mica stone, and created a fine chain. This chain may one day hold a foul beast at bay as the dwarves feed it goblins.

Other than that, there is a new official. Asmel Z was made the trader, because of his intimidating nature. We can't afford to be marginalized by the mountainhomes.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 09:40:49 pm by Cellmonk »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2011, 11:10:49 pm »

What happened to the liason?

And as always, the most admirable artefact is the door.
And thus, the best artefact is the door.

HUZZAH!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4