Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Catchclasps: Fire and Rotting Flesh (The "Test Everything" Fort)  (Read 16929 times)

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Catchclasps: Fire and Rotting Flesh (The "Test Everything" Fort)
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2011, 06:25:22 pm »

I request Mapleguy to be thrown off the draft list unless in the utmost dire situation. Have him train in his own little squad, probably with another person who wants this. Or just any random dwarf. Equip him with a wooden buckler and a wooden training sword, along with his partner. At least until the situation looks dire. Then give him real equipment,

Hmmmm... I think you could train with Raptorfang. I won't be assigning squads until we at least have some decent bronze weaponry. I'm not too keen on making training weapons, just because they add up, aren't all that useful, and dwarves get attached to them.
But it seems a bronze shortsword and shield are in order.

Raptorfang must purge the lands!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

and he will then create figurines of he killing random zombies!

(make him a pickfighter, since that means he will be already skilled on it)

As for Raptorfang, a sheild and masterwork bronze pick seems in order. You two can be sparring partners. I'd like to see how a squad of two trains. I hope to see much sparring!

Give me a silver hammer.

THOU WHO SHOULD BREAK THE LAW SHALL FACE MINE WRATH OF JUSTICE

But yeah, addy mace will be less deadly since it has more surface area

Addy mace it is! (I'll switch you to silver warhammer if an especially troublesome dwarf breaks a masterwork door or something, or messes around in the lever room, but for now, I don't want more fatalities than we can handle.)
For now you'll remain a medic, until another arrives. that will be my cue to build a dungeon.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2011, 01:31:30 am »

Ok, this will be a short post, because Spring caught me by surprise, and spring is time for a brief look over what we have so far.

Lets start from the deeps and go up. Right before the spring came, we were busying ourselves with hollowing out a magmaforge and stockpile area. Here's the plans:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now we soon decided, while we were dumping stone from this work area, that it would also be a fine gemstore. so we added a little offshoot:

This is, of course, when spring at last came, so we stopped to look over the rest of the fort:

Here are the wood-piles dug before the first excursion:

And here is the current living level:

And here are the many gates:

The west and north gate, as well as the entrance:

The east gate, as well as the main bore.

Ok. Now for an update on the dorfed:

PLANS

The next step is to get some bronze pumping.

That and glass. For the glass industry, I'll need to make an efficient clothworking industry, for bags. That's less critical as I was thinking to make it. it seems the magma pumpstack isn't needed right away

There are a few planned experiments:

1) Does a cave-in destroy a raised bridge if it falls in any area that would be bridge if it were lowered?

2) Does a cave-in destroy a raised bridge if it falls on the raised section of the bridge?

3) Does a cave-in destroy an open hatch?

4) Do stairways carved from natural rock or soil survive falling or being fallen upon?

5) Does a artificial fortification support a floor above it? Does it "catch" a falling natural tile? What if it has a floor above it?

If you have some evidence regarding these, please speak. But I'll still probably find out for myself anyway.

ALSO: SPOILER WARNING:

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2011, 03:15:57 am »

4) Do stairways carved from natural rock or soil survive falling or being fallen upon?

Caving in on: Downstairs without support directly underneath are destroyed just like floors are. Supported downstairs might be converted to sand, depending on what falls on them (I've seen this, but not sure what conditions it happens under). Upstairs are not destroyed, and will catch falling walls.

Caving in: All kinds of stairs are utterly annihilated if they cave in.

How I know this: If I want to dig a large, deep shaft, I dig it out using downstairs. I have a core - or even just a 1x1 - of up/down stairs in the middle for access. Then I remove the bottom layer of stairs, and drop a ring of constructed floors to "ring" the shaft. This leaves the center without support, and a moment later it caves in. It is completely annihilated by the cave-in. I've dropped stuff on upstairs, under the mistaken belief that all kinds of stairs are destroyed by things falling on them, they aren't. They themselves need to cave-in to be destroyed.

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2011, 05:14:47 am »

How I know this: If I want to dig a large, deep shaft, I dig it out using downstairs. I have a core - or even just a 1x1 - of up/down stairs in the middle for access. Then I remove the bottom layer of stairs, and drop a ring of constructed floors to "ring" the shaft. This leaves the center without support, and a moment later it caves in. It is completely annihilated by the cave-in. I've dropped stuff on upstairs, under the mistaken belief that all kinds of stairs are destroyed by things falling on them, they aren't. They themselves need to cave-in to be destroyed.

This is fantastically useful information! I always find digging out large shafts to be a frustrating, management intensive exercise. Now all I have to do is designate level after level of down stairs and drop a floor. Fantastic!
Thanks!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2011, 08:44:43 am »

Cave ins will destroy your bridges, raised or lowered.

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2011, 03:01:31 pm »

just after seeing the update I realized how my dwarf was urist Mcdifficult.
I hope we still have 7 founders...
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2011, 04:31:14 pm »

This is fantastically useful information! I always find digging out large shafts to be a frustrating, management intensive exercise. Now all I have to do is designate level after level of down stairs and drop a floor. Fantastic!
Thanks!

After I test this, I think I'll use it in my giant borehole. could save me QUITE some trouble.

Cave ins will destroy your bridges, raised or lowered.

I guessed as much. But I still want to see what happens if I cave in over an open hatch or the open-air portion of a bridge. Not that it makes TOO much of a difference in my... plans.

just after seeing the update I realized how my dwarf was urist Mcdifficult.
I hope we still have 7 founders...

No worries. The fact that he likes lead actually makes him quite easy to cater to. Got plenty of galena. And raw ady isn't too hard to come by, with my planned methods of extraction.

Ravenplucker actually has a bit more too worry about, seeing that he likes lignite and pig iron, and no lignite, flux stone, or iron has been unearthed on this map. But I won't by killing anyone base on preferances. not unless they become baron or something. It might be fun ordering various rare metals from traders, for 7 fine tombs. Some time will pass before anyone needs burial, I hope.

InoxFy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2011, 10:33:07 am »

I just want to post to say that this project is amazing and you are amazing for doing it.

ab00

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Computer!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2011, 11:31:24 am »

Thanks!

You don't even need to do that. Just dig out the shaft, leaving the floors there, and then collapse the topmost layer on all the rest. It will punch right through.
Suicides do not count towards das Fuhrers kill score.

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2011, 04:54:07 am »

Well, my dwarf is not only a horrible medic but a wonderful beater. I'm clumsy (not good for suturing and the like, and especially for not hitting people in the face with maces). I'm really strong: "Let me just set the leg, I'll just need to pull a bit..." *Rips leg off*.

But yeah, I should make a fearsome Sheriff/Guard captain
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]