Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: [176.38a] merchants caught in cage traps  (Read 3438 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: [176.38a] merchants caught in cage traps
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2008, 05:20:00 am »

Needless to say, this will be one of the bugs on the menu for next time...
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Fenrir

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2008, 08:03:00 am »

Mabye this bug should become a feature. Traps are overpowered, right?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2008, 10:18:00 am »

Maybe just use this as a reason to rework the traps altogether? Remove the "traps" as they are now, leave in pressure plates, levers, retractable/powered floor weapons (not only spears/spikes), retractable/powered wall weapons, cages, etc. A cage would work like a hatch - if you raise a cage when a creature (creatures) is on the tile, you trap the creatures in the cage. Weapons work like they should. Stonefall traps will require more micromanagement - a hatch with stones/objects on top of it, that opens and drops the load on the passersby below.

That way you can control, through the p.plate's settings, what creatures or factors trigger your traps.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2008, 12:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>Maybe just use this as a reason to rework the traps altogether? Remove the "traps" as they are now, leave in pressure plates, levers, retractable/powered floor weapons (not only spears/spikes), retractable/powered wall weapons, cages, etc. A cage would work like a hatch - if you raise a cage when a creature (creatures) is on the tile, you trap the creatures in the cage. Weapons work like they should. Stonefall traps will require more micromanagement - a hatch with stones/objects on top of it, that opens and drops the load on the passersby below.

That way you can control, through the p.plate's settings, what creatures or factors trigger your traps.</STRONG>

Yes.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2008, 08:43:00 pm »

I don't think this should be a feature.  I would think that if someone you consider an ally, like a merchant or a liason, comes to your fort, you would probably say something like "Hey, watch out for that serrated steel disc by the door if you go inside."  

Now there may be some situations where you do want to catch or kill some merchants with traps.  In that case, maybe have an option in the [c]ivilizations screen to choose which ones are allowed to see traps and which ones aren't.  Or each trap could be designated as visible or invisible to allies through its [q]uery screen.

Crafty Barnardo cancels task:  distracted by shiny object

Fenrir

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2008, 08:59:00 pm »

Mabye there should be an option for your dwarves to warn friendlies about traps, but the friendlies in question would have to meet one of your dwarves before reaching the traps. You could station guards at the front gate to guard it and warn traders about the traps.

veryinky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2008, 09:09:00 pm »

I like the idea of traps being indiscriminate. Think of all the traps in the indiana jones movies. The spear traps in 1 or the serrated blade traps in 3. If there was a way to link traps with a lever to turn them on or off to let people past them, that would be great.

It would be especially nice if it was possible to assign a few guards to man doors and trap activation/deactivation levers so the process would be automatic. Front gate guard stops the caravan at the entrance since corridor is marked dangerous (or rather, all the squares are marked dangerous as traps and the FRIENDLY caravan waits next to the guard who warned them) inner trap operator guard pulls lever, traps are deactivated and the squares are now safe to cross, caravan proceeds through and the guard reactivates the traps automatically.

The process would be repeated with dwarves wanting to go outside.

Insufficient number of guards would result in traffic jams as dwarves waiting for the traps to be deactivated by the player or FRIENDLY units wandering into trap fields since they weren't stopped by guard.

As a side note. If you use a checkerboard pattern of traps and mark the trap squares as restricted traffic squares, dwarves will avoid stepping on the traps while goblins/animals will take the shortest past through. "Step only on the black tiles, the white ones are trapped."

Fenrir

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2008, 09:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by veryinky:
<STRONG>If you use a checkerboard pattern of traps and mark the trap squares as restricted traffic squares, dwarves will avoid stepping on the traps while goblins/animals will take the shortest past through. "Step only on the black tiles, the white ones are trapped."</STRONG>
Awesome! Thanks for the ☼tip☼.

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2008, 10:33:00 pm »

I would like to say, that oddly, I do not have this problem in my save ported over from 33g. I am unsure why, but I have had the human/dwarven/elven caravan and respectvie liaisons/diplomats go through my 75 rows of traps completely unscathed. In fact, the elven diplomat found a goblin ambush party on his way in and ran through my traps, killing the party but not him.

This would lead me to believe that it may in fact be some code problem between 38a and 38a 176, since this fortress was never on 38a.

I may do a test later on a fresh 176 fortress to see if I have this problem or not.

In the meantime, a possible solution could be starting a fort in 33g and transferring the save over to 176?

Griz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2008, 10:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hypcso:
I may do a test later on a fresh 176 fortress to see if I have this problem or not.

I'm playing a fresh 176 world/fort and the liaison died to traps.

Quintin Stone

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Bureaucrat
    • View Profile
    • RPS
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2008, 11:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hypcso:
<STRONG>In the meantime, a possible solution could be starting a fort in 33g and transferring the save over to 176?</STRONG>

Wait, how is this a solution to anything?  Do you mean loading a fortress in .173.33g, saving it, and then loading it in .176.33g?  Because that what I did.  Or do you mean starting a new fortress from scratch?  That doesn't really solve that my current fortress doesn't work.

[ February 17, 2008: Message edited by: Quintin Stone ]

darkfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2008, 10:56:00 am »

I have a 33g world, and only some of my traps affect the merchants. I removed the offending traps. I will wait for the fix to put them back in and just live with my stonefall traps on my main road for now.

Someone suggested using restrict movement zones to keep people off traps. This would be great but the caravan doesn't seem to follow them.

Quintin Stone

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Bureaucrat
    • View Profile
    • RPS
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2008, 10:56:00 am »

I'd be okay with traps being completely indiscriminate, but only after a design overall.  Right now, you can't temporarily disable your traps.  The pressure plates can't be built on the same tile as a trap or bridge.  Once these things are addressed and we're able to design some real fiendish traps, then we can look at making them indiscriminate.  For now, this is a bug that needs to be fixed.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2008, 12:49:00 pm »

I have sieges after 80+ pop... So it's strange if you don't have.
I just build a pit with ramps full of traps and a bridge over. If I need traders, I lower the bridge. If the gobbos come - pull da lever!

And I usually just kill these traders - free armor and LOTS of stuff are just too neat to ignore.

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Quintin Stone

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Bureaucrat
    • View Profile
    • RPS
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2008, 02:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Deon:
<STRONG>And I usually just kill these traders - free armor and LOTS of stuff are just too neat to ignore.</STRONG>

Importing coal/lignite, wood, and other things I can't get on this map are far too important to me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4