Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37

Author Topic: Godhood V: Legacy Of The Titans [OOC]  (Read 25463 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Godhood V: Legacy Of The Titans [OOC]
« on: December 17, 2011, 03:06:43 pm »

Applications for Gods are presently closed!

Taken from Caesar's finely crafted and exquisite original ruleset...

Godhood V: Legacy Of The Titans OOC

Godhood: A game where the players ascend to Godhood, creating a world from the Essence and the Void. An empty world with its lore written by players, yet filled with untold stories of its origins.  Original and subsequent versions created by Caesar.  Caesar's ruleset used here with permission.

Related pages:
Godhood Game Thread
Godhood IV

This thread is meant for discussions about the Godhood forum game (both silly and serious), discussing one another's writing style, and even for comments from visitors. It is also where you can make suggestions, post your template if you have been accepted to the game, and point out mistakes I made.

The spirit of this game lies in writing a story together. Every player plays a God of their own, influencing the world through godly acts. I myself take the roles of 'Overgod', 'fate' and 'time', which means that I mainly look at the influence the actions of the Gods had on the world and turn them into another part of the story, showing you the consequences of their actions.

We expect a certain degree of maturity, writing skill (including proper knowledge of grammar and spelling) and sincerity. Players are required to use their common sense. (Which I trust they have.)

Game Rules

God Template
Spoiler: Empty Template (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Explanation (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Examples (click to show/hide)

Acts
- At the start of every turn, all Gods receive acts. The amount of acts they receive are based on their connection with the essence (which should be strongest at the start), the combined strength of their received worship (several fanatic cults could be just as strong as an entire moderate population) and secret factors.
- Theoretically you can store as many acts as you want. At a certain point, however, it might start giving drawbacks to store so much divine energy. Five acts is always safe.
- Going into a negative amount of acts might have severe consequences, potentially ranging from being helpless while your enemies destroy your interests to canceling out your acts and finally to twisting your acts into unintended harmful events. There is also a chance nothing bad happens, if the negative is shallow.
- Any thing you decide to do in each turn will take up acts (except for storing them). Some will be worth even more, although you should try and estimate how much each of them would be worth.
- Try to flavor your acts first in italic text, then summarize the actual effects in bold, like in this example:

He smiled cynically, and then finished his creation, watching as the steam rose from the new pit.

T'kernas creates the first automaton.

The following two acts would cost one 'number of acts':
Spoiler: Example - Acanthus117 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Example - Fortis (click to show/hide)

Current Players:
Code: [Select]
Thatkid: Promidalchus [Nature] (Raven)
King Of The Weasels: Jilganheim [Chaos] (Weasel)
10ebbor10: Aeolos [Weather] (Peregrine Falcon)
Micelus: Orseth [Plots] (Dwarf Crow)
Vagel7: Imber [Water] (Shark)
Fniff: Slask [Forests] (Wolf)
Adwarf: Kain [Earth] (Mole)
Shootandrun: Dolrael [Earth] (Bear)
NUKE9.13: Tokchoko [Light] (Lizard)
Ghazkull: Utran'Vitran [War] (Carrion Crow)

Yes, this is copied word-for-word from Caesar's Godhood.  I'm not proud of that, but when I tried to revise it I realised that there was nothing I wanted to change.  There are nevertheless some additions.

I will be accepting 8 players.  When writing up your God application, please include a writing sample in the style of an Act to demonstrate your fluency with basic spelling and grammar.

Turn 0: The Age of Titans

In the very first turn of the game, players do not play their gods at all but instead play titanic behemoths with unspeakable power.  Each Titan is aligned with a Sphere as the gods are and start with five Titanic Acts, which are significantly more powerful than normal Acts.  During Turn 0, the Titans collaborate or compete to create the world.  At the end of Turn 0, any Titans still left alive will die.  This is to give the players a chance to engage in world-building on a truly titanic scale before the much more subtle manipulation of play as a divinity begins.

Titanic Acts are not capable of fine manipulation, but outstrip divine Acts by several orders of magnitude.  You cannot delicately change the life of a single mortal or interact with worshippers on an individual level (not that you need to).  You can sink an entire continent or raise one on a whim.  Examples that require one Titanic Act include:

(+) Raising a continent from the deep, or a mountain range.
(+) Splitting a landmass in half or reshaping it to your whims.
(+) Causing a region to become flush with flora or fauna of a specific or generic kind (e.g. "green plants", "forest", "oak trees", "animals", "mammals" or "monkeys" would all be appropriate).
(+) Creating a new type of life and proliferating it.
(+) Enforcing unique and persistent conditions (e.g. a region forever struck by frost, an expanse where lava continuously churns rather than forming a solid crust, or a vast expanse of black oil that sucks down anything that trespasses into it).
(+) Uplifting an entire species to sapience.*

A Titan that has no Titanic Acts left can be slain by another Titan at the cost of an Act - the slain Titan can perform one last Act as part of its death throes and the slayer may extend the effect of the Act he used to slay the victim as if he were conducting a normal Act.  In other words, Titan-Slaying can happen as part of a normal Act.  Two Titans with one Titanic Act left can slay each other in this manner (and thus effectively perform two acts each).  Otherwise, all Titans will die by the end of Turn 0.

Only one sapient species will survive to the end of Turn 0, and likely in a very primitive state indeed.  Any excess sapient species will die out, leaving only ruins and other indicators of their status as ancient, long-dead predecessors.  If no sapient species are created, or if all die out during Turn 0 as a result of Titanic actions or otherwise, humans will arise by default.

You can only take on a Titan when I have accepted your application for a God.  Titans should be physical creatures, of any size or form.  Unlike Gods they have a definite form, may be biologically immortal, but are very definitely otherwise mortal.  Turn 0 will take place over an undefined period spanning several aeons.  You can put in your titan app at the same time as your god app.

Quote from: Sample Titans
Name: Pyro
Sphere: Fire
Appearance: An enormous dragon, wreathed in flames.

Name: Nyx
Sphere: Void
Appearance: A swirling maelstrom, consuming all in its path.

Name: Yggdrasil
Sphere: Life
Appearance: A massive oak with roots stretching for miles around.

Edit:  I have just discovered the existence of another Godhood thread.  That said, if anyone wants to play this one I'm still game to host it!

Limits of one Minor Act:

a) Destroy a single building or structure of no more than two storeys, or force open the gates of some sort of fortified structure.
b) Change the genetics of up to two individuals to create a sub-race, passed on either by breeding or by 'infection' (in the case of Night Reavers).
c) Flood a town or otherwise small geographic area, or cause a similar natural disaster.
d) Teach one technology to a whole people.
e) Spread up to 3 technologies from a neighbouring people to one they have contact with.
f) Kill up to 3 people outright, with no save (raining fire would be more effective for mass destruction but you can't guarantee who dies).
g) Create an artefact with local supernatural powers, able to affect a single person or small group of people at a time with greater or lesser effects.
Said artefact cannot, for example, level mountains.  It could raise a wall around a town.
h) Incarnating for an extended period, e.g. to lead your followers personally.

Appearing to your followers for up to an hour at a time as an illusion of light and sound costs no acts.  Performing any true physical activity does cost an act, but if it is something as simple as untying a rope the power of the act will shape fate in the deity's favour as a result of the action.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 07:02:54 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Godhood V: Legacy Of The Titans [OOC]
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 03:08:02 pm »

This space reserved for rule adaptations etc.  I fully expect to continue the terrible legacy I began in You Are King with continuously updated and extending rulesets...

A Very, Very Basic Map

This map is deliberately vague.  It displays only one continent, Pangaea, as I fully expect it to change significantly during the Age of Titans.  When we enter Godhood proper, it will become more defined.

Spoiler: Turn 0 Starting Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Turn 0 Adjusted Map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 05:36:00 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 03:10:07 pm »

Damn it Iituem, I will be streched between 3 games now... And my creative juices are running low as of late.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 03:30:59 pm »

I am definitely interested in playing, good sir. Formulating an idea as we type.

E: PM'd my app. Sphere was nature.

EE: Cross-posting here just in case.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Example (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 04:44:29 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 04:15:04 pm »

I've been meaning to work on my writing skills.  If I actually try writing seriously, hopefully I will finally stop using the wrong "your" and people on facebook will leave me alone about it.

I'm going to write this in character if you don't mind, but I can make a more stat sheet like one at request.

Name of God: Names? Oh, I surely do love names.  Long ones, short ones, aggravatingly hard to pronounce ones, ooh now those are my favorite, yes.. I believe I'll pick one like that... for now.  You may call me... Jilganheim.  Until I grow bored of it that is.

Titles: Oh so formal!  But alas I am without one.

Description of Character:  Now I'm not exactly the one you should be asking, about who exactly I am.  I tend to make things up as I go.  ((OOC: To put it simply he's pretty much Sheogorath from the elderscrolls, except he is not directly evil, sure sometimes people die, but it's all in good fun... right?))

Better description of character: Jilganheim sees the humor in everything, whether appropriate or not.  He tends to laugh at his own jokes for far longer then he should, and has been known to laugh for years if something truly tickles his funny bone just right.  He does not enjoy to kill just for the sake of killing, he'd prefer it if their was a sense of irony in someone's death.  He enjoys doing what he wants regardless of what is allowed, and enjoys mortals who follow the same view points.  But as stated earlier he does not enjoy death, and rarely rewards those that kill, because to take someone else's life infringes on their freedom as well.  Jilganheim's followers tend to be thieves, revolutionists, anarchists, and sometimes the occasional philosopher, as well as anyone who enjoys a good laugh at the expense of others or themselves.

Spheres: Chaos

Manifests as: A pale man who's face is never seen, with an ever changing mask and shapeshifting clothing.  His hair is medium in length and changes color at will.

Characteristic Animal: Weasel
Secondary source of Power: You mean I can have more then one!?  ((none yet))

Divine responsibility: I'm sorry, Rezbonsabality is not in my vocabulary.  ((I'd prefer none, but if I must have one I guess keeping the balance between law and chaos.  Too much law leads to tyranny, and too much chaos leads to anarchy and such.))

Spoiler: example act (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 06:21:14 pm by King_of_the_weasels »
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 04:39:48 pm »

I might withdraw this aplication if I'm accepted for the other godgame. Descicions on those characters should be taken before the end of the day.

Name of God: Aeolos
Titles: None as of yet.
Description of Character: Aeolos likes to watch from the side, staying out of the problems of others. When threathened though, he can and will react with carefully applied
but overwhelming force. Aeolos prefers to shroud his own businesses in mysteries.
Spheres:Wheather(winds and storms in particular)
Manifests as: A humanoid figure, always shrouded in clouds
Characteristic Animal: Peregrine Falcon
Secondary source of Power:None as of yet
Divine responsibility: Do we have to fill this in yet? If yes, providing steady winds to merchant vessels.

Example act:

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 04:41:14 pm »

Interested. I'm going to use my god from the other godhood game if you don't mind.
Nevermind.

Name: Orseth
Title:
Description: Orseth, lord and master of planning and ambition. He is usually seems passive to all events, not revealing much emotion, rather he quietly listens to any who speaks and replies in a soft, usually monotone voice. As he gains more knowledge, Orseth plans what he can do with the knowledge to make sure he, and in extension anything important to him, remains alive or at least liked. She is often neutral in the conflicts of the gods and indeed, may actually try to broker peace.
Spheres: Plotting
Manifests as: Orseth usually appears as a short yet attractive <sentient race here> covered in a simplistic, translucent robe. On his head is a crown seemingly made of bone and bronze. On her thigh, there is an extremely small, dull axe. He appears randomly as a male or female.
Characteristic Animal: Orseth has a "love" for the common raven or crow, but she prefers the dwarf crow, which can fit within one's hand easily.
Secondary source of Power:
Divine responsibility: Mediating on the conflicts of the gods.
Spoiler: Example (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 09:39:11 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 04:43:42 pm »

Name of God: Imber

Titles: None yet

Description of Character: A very wise, calm and patient old man. Though he is easily offended and does not let grudges go. If ever angered he will strike with all his wrath, he can either construct his attack for centuries or attack immediately, destroying everything in front of him.
Liking brave seafarers, he will throw difficult challenges at them, the awards for passing however, are great.

Spheres: Water

Manifests as: A tall, weathered old man with long white hair and a long bear. He wears flowing robes made from silk and to his belt he has attached a golden compass and a golden knife.

Characteristic Animal: Shark

Secondary source of Power: None yet

Divine responsibility: Keeping the seas pure and making sure that the sea creatures can live well. Also supplies all creatures with water.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 05:17:47 pm by vagel7 »
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 04:52:12 pm »

Great. I'm just going to use one of my characters from another God thing, if you don't mind.

Name of God: Slask
Titles: None for now.
Description of Character: He is unforgiving and cold. His line of thought is "kill those who cannot succeed, and challenge those who can.". He is angered by technology and the only thing that gives him pleasure is the hunt. Of anything, really.
Spheres: Forests
Manifests as: A tall wolf-like humanoid with a spear made out of bone.
Characteristic Animal: Wolf.
Secondary source of Power: None at all, for now.
Divine responsibility: Making sure that certain parts of the world are forever wild.

Spoiler: example act (click to show/hide)

I replaced it with something else I just thought up.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 05:19:29 pm by Fniff »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 04:53:53 pm »

Name: Kain

Title: He has none.

Description: He shields his creations from pain. He will take vengance and bring down upon those who harm his creations all of his power until they are nothing more than ash. He is the kindness, and cold heart of the earth, and all of its various forms become whole.

Spheres: Earth

Manifests as: A human , slightly taller than most , he carries with him a longsword at all time and wears the close of a peasant upon the sword written upon it in the language of the gods is the phrase " I am Death and Fire"

Characteristic Animal: Mole

Secondary Source of Power: [None]

Divine Responsibility: [None]

Spoiler: Example Act (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 05:12:03 pm by adwarf »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 04:56:27 pm »

Thatkid, you are Accepted!  Lovely application, look forward to you playing.
Weasel King, I would prefer an example Action to give others the right idea, but I'm familiar with your writing and know you're up to scratch, so you are also Accepted!
10ebbor10, who in future I am probably going to call Ebbor, you too are Accepted!  Loved the action.  The odd spelling issue (but consistently - 'volcano' and 'weather' specifically) but the substance of the writing is excellent.  Welcome aboard!

Vagel7, looking good but I'm going to wait for your example Act to approve you just yet.  Ditto for Fniff.  Just be aware that you are likely to run into sphere conflicts with Aeolos and Jilganheim respectively.  Not that you should change your spheres - just warning you that the seeds of conflict between your deities will be laid from the get-go!

Micelus, post your god as an application here if you're reusing him.  I don't mind, but I still want a template and example act.

Also yes, divine responsibilities will be offered up by worshipers.  You have the option to take them up, violently react against them or just ignore them.  The first two options are the mostly likely to have extreme effects for you.  Ignoring responsibilities will eventually make them go away, but you'll lose influence as people stop believing in your power at all.

All approved players may now create a Titan for Turn 0!

Edit:  Looks like Fniff ninja-edited already!  Slask is looking fine, just need the example act.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 04:58:27 pm by Iituem »

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 05:00:53 pm »

My titan:
Code: [Select]
Name: Feomybring
Sphere: Wisdom
Description: An ethereal fox, formed of strands of aether bound by wind.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 05:06:48 pm »

Oooh, a new godhood game! I waited for this one a long time (I didn't like the fourth's hero system).

Name of God: Dolrael
Titles: None yet.
Description of Character: Dolrael is generally patient and calm. The affairs of mortal do not interest him too much, but he does interact with the young races. He is a builder and a shaper, and he strives to make creations that will resist to the test of time. His wrath is incredible and devastating, but few things can bother him, let alone make him angry.
Spheres: Earth
Manifests as: A middle-aged man wearing a grey cloak, riding a grey horse.
Characteristic Animal: Bear
Secondary source of Power: None yet.
Divine responsibility: Shaping the earth

Spoiler: Example act (click to show/hide)

EDIT: damn, Adwarf ninja'd me!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 05:29:44 pm by Shootandrun »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 05:12:24 pm »

My sheet is done :)

EDIT: Shootandrun >.>
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 05:16:06 pm by adwarf »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher