Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Negative Pathing  (Read 2434 times)

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Negative Pathing
« on: December 18, 2011, 03:24:44 am »

Now THIS was interesting. My dwarf is stuck up on the Ice.. because pathing can't find the way down.

A while back I had channeled out some clay. A few tiles were left behind because of the trees on them. Standard stuff.  Well this clay underwent a year of freezing and thawing, and a year later some dwarf cuts down the tree and another goes to pick up this log on this column of clay and, of course, when she gets up there it partially collapses.  Luckily, there were some ice blocks on a neighboring tile and she moved on to one of those.. and got stuck.  I can easily get her down with a couple constructed stairways, but here's the interesting thing:

While she SAYS she can't 'find route' to do any of her tasks and should technically be stranded on the top of this two-tile wide block of ice, there is still a path available. I figured this out by trying to have her build a stairway with the log she got stuck with (might as well make use of it, right?).  When i get to the construction screen, it says that all my building materials are -125000 tiles away. yes, negative distances. Is this an error? The distance changes with the type of construction as well (all -1 for walls, -125000 for stairs, etc.)[/i]

anyone seen this before?
Playing since 2007

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Negative Pathing
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 03:40:39 am »

That is entirely new to me.

If someone can come up with a procedure for testing that, migh be a fun bug to try and pin down.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 03:43:05 am »

Just mine the ice out from underneath her.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 03:46:42 am »

Not yet though; FURTHER STUDY IS NEEDED!

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 04:31:42 am »

Studying the extent of dwarven knowledge: examining the limits of idiocy.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 05:15:25 am »

Studying the extent of dwarven knowledge: examining extending the limits of idiocy.

Had to fix that one..

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 06:32:07 am »

Studying the extent of dwarven knowledge: examining extending the limits of idiocy.

Best bug ever.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 07:43:15 am »

I think she froze to the ground.

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 12:37:31 am »

I CANNOT BELIEVE how stupid I was with the save. I tried saving the the file then kept playing, only to find it was corrupted!! But before I got her down, I had some more FUN!!

First, I tried having someone else try and go up and get the log. They made it up just fine, but they got stuck up on the ice together, and couldn't get down.  So now two dwarves were spamming my announcement boared with.. 'McUrist cancels sleep.. stuck on ice with prudish dwarfess.'  after a couple days of letting them chill.. i finally relented and had one of my miners carve out a ramp on one of the ice tiles so they could get down.  i'm going to try to reproduce the bug.. if anyone else wants to try, here's the parameters:

>> Take a natural pond on a mountainside and carve out a few tiles to a lower Z area to let it drain.  Leave a few single columns with trees on them.

>> Wait a year.. make sure the water around the column is deep enough to freeze.  ( I don't know HOW that happened.. I had maybe 2z of water around the tile when the water froze.. and i got three solid blocks)

>> After one year of thawing and freezing, designate the tree to chop when the ice is frozen in adjacent blocks

>> After the woodcutter cuts down the tree, the ramps around the block collapse, stranding the tile. 

>> Somehow, the dwarf still manages to get up there.  But can't get back down. And then of course negative pathing comes up.  I got the numbers as high as -400000.  i only had two dwarves up there with four tiles of room, maybe i should have invited more and had a party!

>> Or just freeze some water next to some up ramps make it quick.

Anyway, if anyone else sees negative distances involved, bring it up!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 12:59:29 am by Armeleon »
Playing since 2007

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 12:47:15 am »

I CANNOT BELIEVE how stupid I was with the save. I tried saving the the file then kept playing, only to find it was corrupted!! But before I got her down, I had some more FUN!!

First, I tried having someone else try and go up and get the log. They made it up just fine, but they got stuck up on the ice together, and couldn't get down.  So now two dwarves were spamming my announcement boared with.. 'McUrist cancels sleep.. stuck on ice with prudish dwarfess.'  after a couple days of letting them chill.. i finally relented and had one of my miners carve out a ramp on one of the ice tiles so they could get down.  i'm going to try to reproduce the bug.. if anyone else wants to try, here's the parameters:

>> Take a natural pond on a mountainside and carve out a few tiles to a lower Z area to let it drain.  Leave a few single columns with trees on them.

>> Wait a year.. make sure the water around the column is deep enough to freeze.  ( I don't know HOW that happened.. I had maybe 2z of water around the tile when the water froze.. and i got three solid blocks)

>> After one year of thawing and freezing, designate the tree to chop when the ice is frozen in adjacent blocks

>> After the woodcutter cuts down the tree, the ramps around the block collapse, stranding the tile. 

>> Somehow, the dwarf still manages to get up there.  But can't get back down. And then of course negative pathing comes up.  I got the numbers as high as -400000.  i only had two dwarves up there with four tiles of room, maybe i should have invited more and had a party!

Anyway, if anyone else sees negative distances involved, bring it up!

I think this is related to the bug where the down ramp is destroyed but the up ramp left when water freezes. I think this can pretty simply be weaponized.

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 12:55:12 am »

I think this is related to the bug where the down ramp is destroyed but the up ramp left when water freezes. I think this can pretty simply be weaponized.

This is probably right. That's exactly what happened. Although one ramp wasn't in any way adjacent to the ice, it was probably the same problem. I didn't know it existed! I wasn't able to find anything on negative pathing... I'll have to look for it.  But I agree. If you could come up with some anti-magma you could lure a bunch of goblins to the top of some one way tower and leave them there. by freezing the ramps
Playing since 2007

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 06:45:52 am »

This is probably right. That's exactly what happened. Although one ramp wasn't in any way adjacent to the ice, it was probably the same problem. I didn't know it existed! I wasn't able to find anything on negative pathing... I'll have to look for it.  But I agree. If you could come up with some anti-magma you could lure a bunch of goblins to the top of some one way tower and leave them there. by freezing the ramps

More like herding titans onto your goblins.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 03:05:02 pm »

More like herding titans onto your goblins.
Ya know... I gotta test this. What should the bait be at the top of the great tower?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 04:20:59 pm »

A chained cat?

On the plus side, if it fails to entice gobbys and titans, it could lure Dwarves to their doom.

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 10:39:56 am »

If you want to test it this version will be your last chance! Sounds like toady finally decided to fix the problem today.
Playing since 2007
Pages: [1] 2