Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Roll to Dodge: Random Encounter  (Read 3076 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Roll to Dodge: Random Encounter
« on: December 19, 2011, 01:14:46 am »

Two humanoids sat at the edge of a counter in front of a viewscreen. One wrote down what he saw. The other observed more closely.

They were observing an adolescent male of another race battle enemies in a virtual simulator.

"Cark--" began one of them, specifically the one observing.
"Yes Lari?" replied the other.
"I was thinking... if these beings spend so much time training for combat against imaginary monsters in their 'RPG's,' don't you think it would be right to 'help' them out a bit?"
"What are you saying...?"
"Oh, you know what I'm saying. We can market this... as a game show. It would be perfect. You with me?"

Cark gripped his chin tentacle. After pondering for a moment, he answered.

"I'm in."

Welcome to Roll to Dodge: Random Encounter!
In this RTD, you will take on the roles of five ordinary humans, living out their lives. Unbeknowest to them, they are going to witness a remarkable violation of the laws of physics...
The world takes place twenty minutes into the future.

Based on a thread at the spacebattles forum.

Spoiler: Mechanics (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Statistics (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

It would be nice if we had some variety in jobs. Consider being a professor, a pro-wrestler, a musician, a veteran, etc. Don't just be a teenager who plays games... but one person like that might be fine.

Players:
-HEN
-monk12
-lawastooshort
-WarthogDriver
-Frelock

Waiting:
wolfchild
Tiruin
Maxinum McDreich
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 01:21:06 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dodge: Random Encounter
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 01:15:47 am »

Name: Jacob Ackerman
Bio: 6'2, has played random encounter simulations JRPG's and racing games since he was 5 years old. He finished high school and had no idea about what to do next, so he joined the military and specialized in tank driving. Over the years he realized that he had a hard time focusing on everything, and to make it worse, the fact that he was driving A TANK made him extremely reckless.
Preferred Starting Location: Army Base
Traits: (Examples below)
+1 Accuracy
Improvisation
Proficient Driver
Attention Deficit... Ooh Shiny!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 12:38:04 pm by HighEndNoob »
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 01:34:12 am »

This sounds interesting. Char sheet up in a minute. Okay, wow, I should never write char sheets when I'm tired. Let's see how retarded this sounds in the morning :P

Name: Trent Richardson
Bio: Trent Richardson was the world's loneliest twenty-something millionaire astronaut gaming enthusiast. This is why he does not mind spending long, Final Fantasy filled evenings INNN SPAAAACE
Preferred Starting Location: (Anywhere on Earth or nearbySPACE
Traits:

He's an astronaut!
He's a millionaire!
He's an astronaut AND a millionaire, which tends piss people off.

EDIT: Yep, it's still dumb, but it's a flavor of dumb I can roll with. The actual numbers associated with my various traits I leave to the discretion of the GM
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 01:15:59 pm by monk12 »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 01:53:25 am »

Name: Hilda Liechtenstein PhD
Bio: Hilda has Gamer's Rage: she typed so hard at work that she's been advised to lay off the gaming for a while, or at least the mouse and keyboard. Goddammit, that's not what she expected from her career when she started her doctorate in bio-engineering... At least it makes a change from the road rage she can't help avoiding each morning when some half asleep car driver tries to murder her. And she used to be such a calm and clever girl! Slim and toned from her daily 35 mile commute, Hilda has natural and curly long blonde hair and a disarmingly pretty smile, which no one gets to see any more. It feels like the last time was nearly two months ago, when her awesome magma sprinkler mega project totally worked.
Preferred Starting Location: A university
Traits:
Talented Cycle Commuter
Adequate Bicycle Mechanic
RSI
Gamer's Rage

« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 03:42:05 am by lawastooshort »

WarthogDriver

• Bay Watcher
  • Only in death will his duty end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 03:35:02 am »

Not sure if it will need balancing or not.
*edit updated traits*

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 03:43:08 am by WarthogDriver »
Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 03:35:35 am »

I'll take spot #5

Name: Frederick Stephonavich
Bio: An ordinary man just trying to make his way in life.  He lives alone in a small apartment, and spends his days in the martial arts school that he started after getting a black-belt in anime-style martial arts (mostly involving how to ignore pain and gain temporary bursts of incredible strength and speed).  His students are many, but few have talent.  Not that Frederick is a ninja himself, but he does his job well enough to pay the bills.
Preferred Starting Location: US
Traits:
-2 Intelligence
+1 Strength
Martial Artist Instructor (+1 to Unarmed attacks and +1 Defense when unarmed with hands free, +1 to teaching)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 03:47:39 am by Frelock »
All generalizations are false....including this one.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 04:26:30 am »

waitlist me
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 06:31:33 am »

Gah, waitlist me too...If there is no space.

Spoiler: Character Sheet!!! (click to show/hide)

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 01:18:56 pm »

aw man!
Waitlist

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 01:20:33 pm »

Alright, here's the roll format + first rolls.

All of our players will start off in the fictional town of Santiago, Illinois (Don't ask. Please...).

HEN-Jacob Ackerman
Jacob was, as usual, beginning his training exercise. He was told by his superiors to practice driving a tank solo--just in case a crew member was incapacitated. He was doing this, white well in fact, when something ran past his tank. As per the usual, he didn't notice. He couldn't help but hear screaming in the distance, just slightly over the hum of the tank's engine.
Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Monk12-Trent Richardson
Trent was recharging the station's hyperbolic spectroscopic module with his crew-mates. He then noticed a black figure emerge from around the corner. He looked at his crew-mate, and asked, "did you see that?"
He replied, "see what?"
"That black thing? Someone making coffee?"
"Trent, we're the only ones on the space station. Unless those Russians sent a guy over without us knowing, there can't be someone.
Ah, alright then.

Lawastooshort-Hilda Liechtenstein PhD
Hilda was in the university's cafe, eating lunch, when all of a sudden, someone started screaming. She looked up and noticed an area in the lunchroom clearing out. She focused in to see what was going on. She noticed one of the students, in fact, one of the guys on the wrestling team, being attacked by what looked like a giant mouse. Humiliatingly, it was hitting him in the head repeatedly with someone's backpack.

Warthog Driver-Nathan Banks
Nathan banks was at his house. He was going off to school, waving his mom goodbye.
He came across his neighbor, who was outside repairing the car.
"Say," began his neighbor.
"Have you seen any weird black things in your garage?"
"No, why?" answered Nathan.
"Well, I saw one yesterday. Didn't look like a rat. I hit it with a crowbar, and then it disappeared. I don't know if I was just seeing things, but I thought I'd ask if you've seen any."
"Well I haven't--actually, I think there's one behind you."
Nathan dropped his glasses on accident.
"Really? Oh, hey!"

He jumped, turning around in mid-air, and leaped over the black thing crawling towards him. He grabbed the sledgehammer and pounded it into the ground, splattering... oil... on the floor. A single gold coin was left as the mess disappeared.

"See now?"
"I saw."
Nathan picked up his glasses again. Great, they were broken...

Frelock-Frederick Stephonavich
Fred was walking down a bustling city street. He passed by his favorite restaurant, the White Hot Chilli Stand, noticing quite a commotion going on inside. He decided to enter, hearing laughing, yelling, and fighting as he did.

He tried to enter the table area, but a large bouncer stopped him.
"Do you have reservation?"
"Uh..."

Time: 9:30 AM
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 01:22:40 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 01:24:07 pm »

Stop, turn the tank around, and see what that black thing was.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 01:29:28 pm »

Ha! All y'all suckers are in Illinois, while I'm INNNN SPAAAAAACCCEEEE!

...I'm gonna die first, aren't I?

Go make coffee. Then spike it with Tang and drink up!

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 01:37:03 pm »

"Yes I do, my good sir.  Jones, party of FIST!"  Knock the bouncer out with a surprise attack, then investigate what's going on inside.  If there's a fight, commence jumping into the fray.

Actually, I don't want to get banned from my favorite restaurant, despite how much fun it would be...

"I come here all the time.  I was just curious as to what's going on back there.  I'm a martial artist, and I love a good sparring match."
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 01:39:48 pm by Frelock »
All generalizations are false....including this one.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 01:40:59 pm »

Equip bike pump and go to watch.

WarthogDriver

• Bay Watcher
  • Only in death will his duty end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 03:39:55 pm »

Go back into my house to get my older glasses (less effective as they have the wrong lenses) also take the coin, once done go to the opticians and see how long it will take to get the broken pair repaired.
Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none.
Pages: [1] 2 3